Seussical

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The Joey was performed by the Sour Kanagroo holding on one of her hands and just nodding its head to simulate singing.
Interesting. Well, knowing our director, she'll probably have Joey role filled in by a human actor played by any cast member's younger siblings. But in the first place anyway, the Joey isn't exactly a kind of role I'd be willing to take on, since being performed by an independent puppeteer is an awkward option.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Seussical....

Bob,

I directed Seussical last Xmas. As in the original B'way production, the Sour Kangaroo's baby kangaroo was a puppet.

We also realised Horton's baby elephant-bird as a puppet and Vlad Vladikoff. (Think Rod bird/puppet from Lion King) that the Vlad character held. We also had lots of fish puppets for McElliott's Pool that reacted with blacklight and out tub on wheels. Worked out really well.

Fragglerockr

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Bob,I directed Seussical last Xmas. As in the original B'way production, the Sour Kangaroo's baby kangaroo was a puppet.
Well, knowing my director [as I've said before], she probably plans on having a younger sibling of a cast member play the Joey.

We also realised Horton's baby elephant-bird as a puppet and Vlad Vladikoff. (Think Rod bird/puppet from Lion King) that the Vlad character held. We also had lots of fish puppets for McElliott's Pool that reacted with blacklight and out tub on wheels. Worked out really well.
I have no idea how she would plan on handling the elephant-bird but I'm 99.9% sure Vlad will be a human actor. But please do tell about these fish (my knowledge of Seussical is rather small), we probably won't have people willing to do it, but that sounds interesting on it's own.

mike short

Reaction score
I definitely agree with everything you've said. But for me, perhaps it's my age, but I've found it hard to difficult to create my own projects with puppetry mostly due to the lack of opportunity outside of talent shows.
I understand it's hard, but it's not impossible. Seek out Open Mics in your town or nearby. Check the coffee houses, community centers, etc. You can always get a few minutes to do a short piece.

I'm also surprised a kid your age hasn't heard of the Internet. Make short videos displaying your skills. When it comes to the visual arts, a portfolio or reel speaks volumes more than a resume. Work on your writing and acting skills as well. Instead of waiting for somebody to write or produce something that might use a puppet, just go ahead and write it yourself.

...even the talent shows are run by somebody
And why can't one be run by you? Approach a local performance venue (I don't mean a theater, necessarily. Like I said, a coffee house, local church or religious center, any place that has a stage) and ask them about the possibility of hosting a variety night. If it's a well-run venue, they should have the sound equipment already. Invite some actors, poets, singers, etc, and cap off the evening with your own puppet performance.

You live a relatively short distance from NYC, which is overflowing with performance venues. I perform often at an improv theater called The Magnet (www.magnettheater.com). I don't wait for people to cast me in shows, I create the shows I want and pitch them to the artistic director.

And I agree with Jinx. Make sure that pieces would be enhanced by puppetry. Sometimes, as much as we love this artform, it just doesn't belong. I love my improv, but not every stage piece should be improvised.