Sewing Machine of Choice

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I'm about to spend some tax return money :excited: and would like a little advise. I know of only a few brands of sewing machines. I'd like if I could get a few more suggestions for good quality sewing machines for long term heavy use. I know better than to buy a sewing machine with lots of extra gadgets in it that can get broken. I also know that many cheaper brands are made with nylon parts and are ok if you use your machine once in a great while. I know of Bernina and White. I take it Bernina is the Rolex of sewing machines. Any product endorsement is greatly appreciated.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I'd recommend either Singer, or Viking, which is made by Husqvarna. Those are both top of the line.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I'd recommend either Singer, or Viking, which is made by Husqvarna. Those are both top of the line.
Really? I've been told all of the new ones of these are made with nylon parts. The old ones are good but they have to be like antique old back when they were still made out of metal.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
Really? I've been told all of the new ones of these are made with nylon parts. The old ones are good but they have to be like antique old back when they were still made out of metal.
Hmmm, possibly. I do know that they are very reliable though. I have a mid-80's Singer and its never had a single problem and has been heavily used. About 90% of it is metal. As for Husqvarna, I know that it's a really respected brand. It's the same company that makes the high quality Husqvarna chainsaws.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Mine is a 1954 (or maybe 1956) Necchi which is an iron beast that was made in Italy. I love this machine, in fact, if it wasn't so darn heavy I would carry it down the isle and marry it. :flirt: :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously, it's a great machine. I have a singer (1999?) which I use as a back up when I have the Necchi serviced/cleaned and it just can't handle the work load because of the fleece. Basically, you really need something industrial or close to it if your sewing thick fabrics consistantly.

Just my two cents. :excited:

-Michele

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Just don't waste your money on a plastic machine that is under $500. The ones WalMart sells for $200-300 are particularly bad imho. If you want a new machine buy an industrial one. They are the only ones that last but they are expensive.

If you want a really good machine you should just buy an older Singer or Viking. A reconditioned machine from a store that sells and repairs sewing machines would be great.

There are two machines in my house - a newer plastic Singer and a 90 year old cast iron non-electric Singer machine. The "new" one needs repairs or adjustments every 12-18 months. The cast iron machine hasn't needed any work in about four decades.

They don't build `em like they used to. :frown:

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I havent been able to find an industrial machine for less than a grand.:cry: I just can't spend that much on a machine yet. I was thinking somewhere in the 6-800 dollar range.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Do what Buck suggested, find a local repair shop that sells refurbished machines. Thats exactly how I got mine and it cost me less than $150. Even if they don't have a particular machine available, ask them for models that would work well for what you need and then search on ebay. I've seen my machine (Necchi BU) sell for about $180 plus shipping on ebay... just make sure you read the auctions because I've also seen many of this model listed that are missing important parts or say "not tested" wich could get tricky. Not to say that they arn't worth buying... for example if the power plug or something specific is mentioned then call that repair shop and find out the cost to replace/fix.

Sometimes you just gotta do a little footwork to get around the budget your working with. :wink: