Shame on IGN, Muppet Pinball Mayhem rocks!

beaker

Reaction score
I just have to laugh...here's some quotes from those idiots at ign.com, in their review of Muppet Pinball Mayhem:

"the Muppets license isn't the most timely of brands, so don't expect Midway or Data East or any other pinball manufacturer to be building these suckers for your arcade..."

and heres another one from one of their staff:

"The Muppets license just doesn't really do it for me...don't get me wrong, I loved the show way back when, and the Muppets Experience at Disneyworld rocks the house. But the license isn't really that cutting-edge, and it doesn't really do much for pinball...even with all the Muppets elements, sound bites, and theme song thrown into the game"

Wow...someone should take their review licence away.
Folks, if you want a real review of MPM, click here:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/pinball_mayhem.shtml

///beaker///

Luke

Reaction score
I haven't played it myself, i'll have to download the *cough* Rom later, but to be honest Cory, i can kinda see where the reviewer is coming from - the Muppet license doesn't exactly scream pinball to me either, but seeing as it was Newkidco the other option was probably 'Elmo Pinball' so i'm happy with this. It's about time if they are gonna make more muppet games to make more appropriately themed ones like Racemania, or maybe a muppet multiplayer version of Bomberman (Gonzo leaving exploding chicken bombs, Kermit being able to hop barriers etc etc).

Overall at least the reviewers gave the actual pinball element a fairly high score, 7.9 but i don't think they took into account that this is a game largely aimed at kids who might like the license.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just surprised it's the first pinball game for the GBA given that the console has been out for a year now. That may help it do well if the pinball diehards get on the bandwagon. By the way, it is scheduled to come out in the UK next month in July. Just imagine what Muppet Pinball Mayhem could be like on the PlayStation 2 though.

In the next few months we'll find out what TDK Mediactive has in store for Muppet games as well.

Interesting Bomberman idea... I like it.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i could dig Muppet pinball on something like the PS2 or Xbox. I think for a Muppet console game to work, it needs a lot of flashy elements and all that 'extra' stuff like masses of sound and video clips, and lots of characters and twists, like we saw with Racemania. The GBA game sounds nice, but i think more could be done with the concept.

I am very excited about these upcoming games from TDK and i hope they live up to our expectations - i'm really hoping that they will take full advantage of the next gen systems capabilities and not just do some straighforward platformer like games companies always used to do for this kind of license.

Castle Muppetstein, Grand Theft Penguins ..... the possibilites are endless ! ;-)

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I stopped reading IGN a while ago.

I think a Muppet multiplayer game should be more like Mario Party and weird minigame like fish darts and rat races.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That guy went too far critiquing the Muppets IMHO. He should just stick to the game. He said they just didn't do it for him, but he didn't say why. Oh, well. There are those who create and those who critique. :smile: