Shooting How to do it Digital? Video, Lighting, Editing, the WORKS!

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am curious about the ins and outs of digital video and production, lighting, types of cameras currently available, editing, even how they can all be used in computers. Does anyone know of any websites that give tutorials on digital video shooting and editing, software to use, how it can be used on a computer?

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!
Marc

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Hey Marc,

I don't know of any website tutorials on that stuff, but I'm sure you could do a Google search on it. I can however tell you what I'd recommend for camera, software, and editing equipment,

A PowerMac G4/G5 Superdrive equipped or a PowerBook G4 Superdrive
Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro editing software
External Firewire (IEEE 1394) hard drive, at least a 60 gig one
At the minimum a Canon Optura 20 camera, which films at broadcast quality. Or if you can afford it, the Canon XL1S

I do quite a bit of editing and have a PowerBook G4 Mac, Final Cut Express, an 80 gig external Firewire drive and the Canon Optura 20 camera, and it's really great. Now if your one of those anti-Mac people *hehehe* and want editing stuff for the PC, I'm sure jediX could help you out in that department. I hope this helps you out.

Kevin

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :big_grin:

jediX

Reaction score
Yep, I can. As for the literal act of video editing on your machine, I'm sure Alex [anathema] can help ya out to a more advanced level.

I don't do all that much editing these days, but here's my setup:
3ghz pc with a Radeon All-in-Wonder video card, which enables analog, composite, and svideo in. Then, I record it in the ATI TV program at dvd-quality, then import into Pinnacle Studio 8 (it runs about $99 standalone).

As for filming, I have a nice new digital Sony Handycam (not sure what the model is) that I connect to the pc through composites. It's not the best, but it works just fine for my needs.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
and Lighting is simple enough. HA! That's probably the hardest part, getting the lighting to look good. If you hook your video camera up to a television set, it's easier to figure out what your lighting will come out like.

Ryan

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
and Lighting is simple enough. HA! That's probably the hardest part, getting the lighting to look good. If you hook your video camera up to a television set, it's easier to figure out what your lighting will come out like.
Also, LCD screens are a godsend. Don't get a digital camera without one. :wink:

jediX

Reaction score
Better yet, hook up to a small tv/monitor to the camcorder and make your own Muppety viewscreen system :wink:

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Alright guys, thanks alot for the information on equipment. What I really want to know is this: How can a begininer at digital video use it to create a professional looking film? I know nothing about it but would be interested in learning BUT I'd like it kept simple. I'm not experienced in computer lingo or software and manuels give me headaches. Does anyone know of or can anyone give me the basics on shooting something in digital video, editing it, and then transfering it to a disc, ready to be viewed by someone? That's all I'm looking for at this point, as well as sound and equipment for professional sound. What I'm going for is to have all this equipment in house, and to be able to do ALL of this work in one studio, no outside work at all (ie. I do not want to be sending the shot footage out to someplace else to get it edited, to have sound added, to have any sort of special effects added, it needs to ALL be done in house in one location). The studio needs to be independant and it's own entity. Can this be done with equipment that will give me what I'm looking for (professional quality digital films, shows, samples, etc, including sound facilities, editing facilities, the works) AND be at a relatively sane price? I know equipment isn't cheap, but I also know the most expensive thing isn't always the best thing.

If anyone can help with this problem, let me know.
Marc

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Dagger Claws said:
Alright guys, thanks alot for the information on equipment. What I really want to know is this: How can a begininer at digital video use it to create a professional looking film? I know nothing about it but would be interested in learning BUT I'd like it kept simple.
Hi Marc,

The first thing is that your first few films may not be completely "professional" looking - that takes some practice - so don't be discouraged if the first few don't turn out exactly the way you planned. The good news is that even the lowest-end consumer video equipment can produce pretty good quality video these days. I'd experiment at the low, cheap end of things before splurging on any fancy high-end equipment.

For Bear Town that I'm doing right now I'm shooting with a Cannon ZR60 Mini-DV camera. That's about the cheapest Cannon camcorder I could find (I prefer Cannon cameras because the optics tend to be superior to most other brands). It cost me about $700 Cdn I think, but I have seen it for sale stateside for as little as $350 US. I'm used to shooting on higher-end equipment like the Cannon XL-1 but I couldn't afford one and I've been impressed by the ZR-60. It is a very good little camera with a lot of bang for your buck.

It actually comes with Firewire (the best way to connect a camera to your computer - invented by Apple but more common on PCs now) but it will work with a standard USB port too. I have a PC so to edit I use Adobe Premiere, but if I had a Mac I would probably work with Final Cut Pro. Most editors prefer Final Cut, but Premiere can do everything you need mostly likely. I know some digital TV stations prefer Premiere over Final Cut. It's a matter of preference. You can download a free trial of Premiere from Adobe's site and try it out. There are a number of freeware or shareware editing programs available by searching under "video editing" in the downloads section of ZDnet. I don't like most of these but you might want to check them out anyway.

As for lighting, what you want to start with is called 3 Point Lighting. There's a handy tutorial at http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/3point.html or check your local library, which probably has lots of books on filmmaking and lighting.

One book you should probably read is Rebel Without A Crew by Robert Rodriguez, the director of "Spy Kids" and "Once Upon A Time In Mexico". It's the story of how he made a $7,000 "home movie" called El Mariachi which ended up winning awards and making a few million at the box office. It includes a great article he's written called "10 Minute Film School" which is also available online here.

Another book that I find especially useful when planning a film is Setting Up Your Shots which is a visual encyclopedia of different film shots and transitions.

Lately I've been picking up Moviemaker Magazine at a local newsstand and I've noticed it has a lot of good information for filmmakers - beginners and advanced a like. Check your library for back issues. If they don't carry it tell them they should!

I also have a couple links for how to do things like steadicam and blue screen cheap on my site at http://www.bear-town.com/links.htm. I'll be adding more filmmaking links soon so you might want to check back there in a few weeks.

doctort13

Reaction score
Public Access cable TV!

I live in Cincinnati and take FREE classes at the public access TV studio at www.mediabridges.org . They have Apple G4 computers, Canon GL-1 cameras, a wonderful studio space, and a helpful staff. Did I mention...it's FREE!

Your profile says that you live in Chicago, so I found this:
http://www.cantv.org/

I am sure if you contact someone there they can sign you up for a class to learn more about digital video production.

Here's a link to a Chicago public access TV show:
http://www.roctober.com/chicagogo/

One way to learn, is by volunteering to help out with someone else's show.
This looks like a cool TV show to me...music & puppets!!!

Good luck with your project! :smile: