Should Celebrities Use Kickstarter?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This has become an interesting debate on Ken Levine's blog (for those who don't know, Ken was a prolific sitcom writer from the 70s up to the 2000s, writing for shows like M*A*S*H, CHEERS, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, etc.)

Anyway, he posted earlier in the week that Zach Braff has apparently launched a Kickstarter campaign for a movie he's wanting to make, and how he feels that something like this is going to really damage the credibility of what Kickstarter is all about, because Braff is a well-known celebrity, who already has more than enough money to do whatever it is he wants to do (not only that, some people are saying Braff's at a point in time where he should be donating money himself, rather than asking for more), and if more well-known and well-off celebrities and personalities start using Kickstarter, then that's going to hurt those who Kickstarter is supposed to help: the unknown, the amateurs, the indies, people who actually have insufficient funds to finance their projects and do need money.

We know people here have been using Kickstarter for funding of projects (ala Copper Pot with their Caroll Spinney documentary, or Jim Martin using it to help preserve as many episodes of THE GREAT SPACE COASTER as possible), but I think I can see where Ken is coming from, because I think I can see how if more and more celebrities start using Kickstarter, and people donate to them, then perhaps people are going to completely brush off those who really don't have any money to finance what they want to do.

What do you guys think?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dunno...just because you are rich still doesn't mean you can afford to make a movie on your own.

Here's the thing. The general public probably wouldn't donate to any of these indie companies anyway, because they don't follow whats going on. There's no loss in money to those companies if people wouldn't have done it in the first place. People are more inclined to donate to things they know. The real funding from indie and small company projects comes from the dedicated fanbase.

Double Fine, a well known indie game developer had a kickstarter and they went WAY over the amount they needed. How many people do you think donated to them who never heard of them before? Probably very very few. The vast majority of those who donated were fans of DF's work.

It's tacky for a celeb to start a kickstarter, yes, but I don't think its detrimental to indie developers.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
People are only going to support projects that they like and that they've heard of, which gives celebrities an advantage. Look how quick the money for the Veronica Mars movie got raised. I don't necessarily think it's tacky for a celebrity to use Kickstarter, provided they give something back to the fans for their donation money, like again, the Veronica Mars team was offering extra parts to fans who donated enough.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Yeah, that's probably what's so good about Kickstarter is the fact that a lot of these people give certain things to people who donated a certain amount. So it's not like you're just randomly giving your money to some random project that might not work. As far as celebrities using it, that might actually bring more attention to the actual website and also more attention TO those indie acts on that site. People go for the celebrity one, and then start searching it, they are in a generous mood, and find themselves giving money to an indie project that really needs it. But, I don't know if I would consider Zach Braff a "celebrity that doesn't need the money to complete his new projects". Just like I didn't consider Kristen Bell the celebrity that could go broke doing a Veronica Mars movie. Also, with some of these celebs, it could also be the "Does the public want this kind of thing?" type of campaign. Kristen Bell, and the creator dipped their toes in the water to find interest in a Veronica Mars movie, and they found it and funded the project at the same time. Win-Win.

Daniel

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
It's tacky for a celeb to start a kickstarter, yes, but I don't think its detrimental to indie developers.
Tacky- that's the word I'd use. Thank you. A lot of times I see more high-profile projects (like bands or artists that aren't really indie) on Kickstarter and it just rubs me the wrong way. But that's just the feeling I personally get. Obviously they find success with it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently Spike Lee is using Kickstarter for a new film now... doesn't look like anybody's really happy about it either.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anyway, he posted earlier in the week that Zach Braff has apparently launched a Kickstarter campaign for a movie he's wanting to make, and how he feels that something like this is going to really damage the credibility of what Kickstarter is all about, because Braff is a well-known celebrity, who already has more than enough money to do whatever it is he wants to do (not only that, some people are saying Braff's at a point in time where he should be donating money himself, rather than asking for more), and if more well-known and well-off celebrities and personalities start using Kickstarter, then that's going to hurt those who Kickstarter is supposed to help: the unknown, the amateurs, the indies, people who actually have insufficient funds to finance their projects and do need money.

You know, I don't know who Zach Braff is. He's probably been in something I've heard of, probably something I don't watch/haven't seen/don't care to see or listen to. I think I'll look him up soon.

I wonder what would happen if somebody did a parody of Kickstarter. Like a major studio saying, "we have enough money to fund the movie we want to make, but we want fans to donate more to make it better".

Or "I want to make a movie. The studio has given me a budget of 50 million dollars. I really want the movie to star (insert celebrity with both legendary status AND still a current A-list star here), but he'll only do it for 40 million, no less. I can't afford to cast him AND cover all the other important expenses."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just to save yourself some time - Zack Braff was the lead cast member of [scrubs], the voice of Chicken Little, among other things.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just to save yourself some time - Zack Braff was the lead cast member of [scrubs], the voice of Chicken Little, among other things.

Oh, I haven't watched much Scrubs, but liked Chicken Little.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
No, they shouldn't. Especially not Zach Braff. The last thing we need is another saccharine indie comedy.