Should The Count be recast?

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the Count seems to be the one and only SS Muppet, who's been there since the early days, and has never been recast, and has never had a different performer for any particular sketch or special. Every other Muppet has been recast, had an understudy, or was replaced for a one time shot. It's amazing. The Count is still there to this day too. That is One wonderful Count. I don't think I could ever adjust to someone new performing him, seeing as how he's always been the same for the past 35 years. I think if anything ever happens to Jerry, he should not be replaced. There is enough Count material out there to last as seasons go by. What does everyone else think?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I have to agree. Nobody can do it like Jerry, but in all honesty he does seem to be heading towards retirement. After all, he already stopped performing his "Muppet Show" characters. I'm sad to say it but, this might happen sometime and I think a Count with a different performer would be better than no Count at all. Just something to think about.

superboober

Reaction score
I say let Jerry go as long as he chooses, and in the meantime have a current Muppeteer practice with the character so that s/he can take over at a moment's notice if need be.

How many new Count sketches do they seem to do these days?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm all for putting more classic sketches into the show. But I also wouldn't mind if someone else had to take over, if they did a good job.

Luke

Reaction score
I see Jerry doing Sesame stuff on the same basis of Frank Oz. Sure they don't come in and do the regular schedule but i'm sure they can get through shooting a number of sketches in just a day or two. I'm sure there's life left in him yet for much more!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I don't even want to think about a non-Jerry count.. I'm still adjusting to the non-Jerry Two-Headed Monster .. if he ever does retire, there should at least be a 10-year hiatus like they did with Scooter

wiley207

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson will always be the best Count. By the way, remember when Jerry Nelson performed Dracula on "The Muppet Show?" (Family Guy-style flashback to the Vincent Price episode of TMS)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
anytimepally said:
I don't even want to think about a non-Jerry count.. I'm still adjusting to the non-Jerry Two-Headed Monster .. if he ever does retire, there should at least be a 10-year hiatus like they did with Scooter
Well, if that happened, I think they should at least play classic clips with Jerry's Count so he won't be forgotten. After all, when Jim Henson died, they still played old clips with Ernie and Kermit before Steve took over.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Well, if that happened, I think they should at least play classic clips with Jerry's Count so he won't be forgotten. After all, when Jim Henson died, they still played old clips with Ernie and Kermit before Steve took over.
They also aired old clips with Richard's charachters for about 10 years after he died, so I can totally see them doing that with the Count.