Shyamalan's next film is Happening.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I win the award for best dual-meaning thread title of the day. M. Night Shyamalan (writer/director of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, and Lady in the Water) has announced that his next film is in development for a June 2008 release. Its title is The Happening. He was shopping it around to different studios with the title The Green Effect but he was turned down. With the notes he received from Fox's Tom Rothman, he reworked the script, and it was just bought by Rothman.

The script follows a family attempting to survive after a series of unfortunate "accidents" begin to occur on Earth. It sees a strange airborne toxin released in every city in the world. People affected off themselves in terrible ways ( for example, one guy playing a violin stabs himself in the mouth with his own bow), and it turns out that the catastrophe is environmental in nature. It's will be Shyamalan's first R-rated picture and his first at Fox.

What do you folks think of this? I'm personally a very big fan of Shyamalan, and I know I'm one of few. I can truthfully say I've loved everything he's done since The Sixth Sense. I saw what he wanted to do with The Village and Lady in the Water, and I applaud him for going against the grain. I do think he's pretty self-centered and arrogant (all one needs to do is read The Man Who Heard Voices, the account of the making of Lady in the Water), but also that he's one of the greatest new filmmakers to surface in the last ten years.

I'm excited to see what he's going to do with The Happening. We've a little more than a year until we can see it, but I'll be waiting patiently until then.

After The Happening... happens, he'll begin work on a live action adaptation of Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender. And I'm an unabashed fan of that show as well. It's surprisingly mature for a so-called "kid's show", and one I regularly enjoy watching. I think that it would do him good to work in somebody else's playing field for a bit. And it'll be interesting to see the final product.

Skye

Reaction score
I'm also a very big fan of Shyamalan's! I know what you mean, and I haven't been too crazy about the ego he seems to have sometimes, but I do think he's a wonderful director/writer! I've really liked his movies so far! The Happening sounds kinda creepy... but interesting. Thanks for letting us know about it!

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Speed Tracer said:
After The Happening... happens, he'll begin work on a live action adaptation of Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender. And I'm an unabashed fan of that show as well. It's surprisingly mature for a so-called "kid's show", and one I regularly enjoy watching. I think that it would do him good to work in somebody else's playing field for a bit. And it'll be interesting to see the final product.
That is what I'm really looking forward to from Shyamalan! An "Avatar: The Last Airbender" film is right up his alley, and he can be free to do whatever out-of-this-world thing he wants to, because the story of Avatar does happen out of this world.

I agree with you on the maturity of the show, Speed Tracer. It's so mature that I've been getting into it recently.:smile:

And this "Happening" movie doesn't sound that bad either. For Shyamalan's first R-rated flick with Fox, it sounds hot.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
It appears that Mark Wahlberg is set to play the lead role. I like this.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested, he's done some fantastic movies in a world where we desperately need them! Not sure about Mark Wahlberg but I'll still see it. :smile:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Speed Tracer said:
It appears that Mark Wahlberg is set to play the lead role. I like this.
Mark Whalberg and Shyamalan?!?!? Could it get any better?!? It sounds awesome!