Signs: A movie you can see with your parents?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow, not quite the film I expected, but quite a good one. Think I finally get writer/director M. Night Shyamalan (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable). A suspenseful film without many of the CG tricks we are so used to. Classic filmmaking with a good message.

PG-13 rated for suspense elements

Jackie

Reaction score
i loved the fact that there wasn't too many special effects, it was an all around GOOD film. Except Mel's acting was pretty bad LOL!

Gonzo

Reaction score
We enjoyed it, but not as much as say, "The Sixth Sense" or "The Others"....those were both much scarier, and much better. I really enjoyed Joaquin Phoenix in this one--but I don't feel like Mel Gibson's character ever really gelled. I'd give this one a solid B.

Quinnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Do you guys remember the baker who would stumble and drop all his cakes on those experimental Sesame Street shorts?
Well thats the way I see M Night's films. I got to see Signs a few weeks ago for an advance screening, and had the same thought I did with unbreakable. Master precision pacing, great tense mood and score, great buildup...then boom! In the final 10 minutes...its like the great tiered masterpeice cake he makes...well the great baker ends up at the last step tripping and ruining the whole thing. Even after a third way through I didnt think he could possible mess up somthing this good...then boom! Right when ya think this is Oscar worthy with just 8 minutes to go, it turns into a freaking b movie that Ed Wood himself would be proud of. (ie: the scene after Mel gibson brings the tv back into the living room...my I never imagined how cheesey it would get after that)

Gosh...I liken it to a great game winning yardage run in the final seconds of the super bowl, only to get sacked or fumble just a yard from the goal line.

Joseph

Reaction score
Signs was one of my favorites this year. :smile: GO SEE IT if you haven't already.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I suspect some felt this film would be a special effects gore-fest at the end and were disappointed. I'm sure glad it wasn't. Film gets a solid B from me, but I sure applaud Shyamalan's efforts. I don't see anything cheesy about the film - well Maybe Me's acting was a little stiff. The film just wasn't likely one that sci-fi buffs would appreciate and I enjoy that sort of twist. Something different! It's about time. :smile:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Originally posted by Beaker
Well thats the way I see M Night's films. I got to see Signs a few weeks ago for an advance screening, and had the same thought I did with unbreakable. Master precision pacing, great tense mood and score, great buildup...then boom! In the final 10 minutes...its like the great tiered masterpeice cake he makes...well the great baker ends up at the last step tripping and ruining the whole thing.
Yep, I hear ya. I thought "Unbreakable" was going absolutely nowhere. It kinda made sense, but nothing was really keeping you in your seat throughout it, and the ending made even less sense.

Haven't seen Signs yet, but it does look more promising.

- Billy :cool:

Gonzo

Reaction score
i thought the best part of "Signs" was the sounds--the sound editing was brilliant, and were by far the creepiest parts of the flick. My brother in law Andy is still scared by those clicking sounds the aliens make...

Quinnnnnnn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm still on edge from some of the film’s scenes while it also filled me with a feeling of warmth. Freaky.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Even better--Andy, like us, just had a baby (well, technically, it was his wife) and I know for a fact they use a baby monitor....

squawkle....hiss.....pop.....mrmble......click click click

MAN I should go walkie-talkieing over at their house!

Quinnnnnnn