Skin tones for foam

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm making a couple of humanoid puppets out of regular ol' polyurethane foam. It's that 3/4 inch thick mattress stuff...not the egg crate stuff, but flat and that basic yellowish foam color. It's better quality (or so the package stated) than other foams, and I got it at Wal-Mart.

Anyway, are there any dyes that will help turn this foam from yellowish to skin tones? One puppet will be Caucasian skin-toned, and the other will be Latino skin-toned (close to Maria's skin tones).

Any dyes out there that'll help my foam turn these colors? And if there are, is it best just to dunk the foam (I've built the puppet bodies already) into a washtub with the dye?

Or...would it be just easier to use paint or felt? I'll appreciate any suggestions you guys may have.

Convincing John

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
you can dye foam, rit works reall well,

be sure to pre wet the foam so it takes the dye bath evenly,

peach works well for a basic caucasin skin tone, and by playing with the darker brown tints you can create almost any tone you want, however the color of the faom may affect your resluts, next time try to go to a uphostery store,and get some clean white faom to avoid coloring problems,

copy and paste this lick for rit dye color ideas

http://www.ritdye.com/color_recipes.asp

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Be sure when experimenting with dyes to ere on the side of too little.

:eek: USE EXTREME CAUTION :eek: