"Sleeping Beauty" DVD is out, baby!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I ran to Wal-Mart at 2:30 a.m. to snatch this up as soon as I got off work, lol...

OMG...

I--I had no idea the DVD would be THIS spectacular!! :eek:

Okay, first of all I was under the impression that the US version wouldn't contain all the extras which are on the European version; Alex hooked me up wit' 'dat 'un a while back, and I watched all the extras on muh 'puter.

But, it DOES have all the same extras! This surprised me since nowhere had I seen ALL of those extras listed for the US release---just most of 'em (the 1995 trailer is pretty cool---but it never went to any theaters that I know of!)

---------------

DVD---Okay, I know that DVDs have superb audio and video quality, but JEEZ---this is just astounding!! I particularly noticed how cleaned up the sound was. The audio has amazing clarity. :sing: SB is my favorite film of all time (not only Disney), and as often as I've seen it, even I noticed some audial things I'd never picked up on before! (example: When Maleficent captures Phillip in the cottage, I don't recall hearing his grunts and "mmph!"s before)

And, of course, the colors are just as brilliant. It's all so superior I--I feel like I've never really experienced the film until now...man, is this wonderful... :flirt:

AND THERE'S AN AUDIO COMMENTARY!!! WHY IS THIS NEVER MENTIONED ANYWHERE?!

Not even anywhere on the covers or inserts is this included! ?! If I were gonna go to the trouble to include an audio commentary for a film, I think I'd be sure to promote that!

My only gripe is this whole PINK mess---they have Aurora in pink ALL OVER the disc inserts, booklets, and case; just makes me irate. :grouchy: The most grating thing is perhaps the front cover, since she was in BLUE when awakened (and practically the entire time she was in the dress anyway).

----------------

But, I digress...I just had an ecstatic 3 hours watchin' the film and goin' through most o' the extras, and tomorrow I'll watch it with the commentary (weeee!!) and finish up the few other extras---if I didn't have to go to work today, I'd finish it all!

Oh yeah, and I was supposed to finally meet Mary Costa this month, but because of the release she has a SLEW of interviews, trips, etc. she has to do, so our meeting is now postponed to who knows when. :sympathy: But she reinforced that we will meet "one of these days"! <:-D Hopefully by the end o' the year...we'll see. :smile:

I hope a few other Disney fans definitely get this 2-disc set..."Sleeping Beauty" fans UNITE!!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
:big_grin: I'm glad the DVD was worth the wait, Byron!!!! Sounds terrific. I don't know how soon I'll be getting it because now I'm saving up all my money for the Simon and Garfunkel concert that will probably be in another state and will probably break the bank.... But I will get it! Now that I'm working at Walden's I have a nice Border's discount, so I'll probably snatch it up there. That's really cool that it has all those extras. And what is it with the pink???? I'm with you. Blue all the way!!!! :attitude: It's a bummer you don't get to meet Mary Costa this month, but that makes sense that she's swamped. I guess the extra anticipation will make the meeting extra nice! :smile:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, I lied. I couldn't help it. I caught Byron's bug. My dad went to Media Play this afternoon to get the final CD of Warren Zevon, a singer-songwriter who died Sunday. The album was just released a couple weeks ago. We weren't really familiar with him, but Dad was intrigued by the profiles NPR did of him. So he went to get that CD, and I went along. And there was the big <b>Sleeping Beauty</b> display, and I snatched it up. :smile: Haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet; we're listening to the CD now. Probably later tonight. Yay!

With our trip to Media Play, we also got the 8 free issues of <b>Entertainment Weekly</b>, and they weren't overwhelmiingly complementary to the DVD. They gave it a B because of its artisticness, but they didn't have too many nice things to say about Aurora. (I always loved that name, by the way; I once started a novel in which the main female character had that name, but I never finished it.) They say it's "built around a heroine so bland she's not much more engaging awake than asleep," and "just have caffeine handy when the princess starts to simper like an undead Barbie doll." How rude. :attitude: But then I don't put much stock in <b>EW</b>. They're a little cynical for my tastes, and they didn't even mention it when Art Garfunkel put out his first album in several years last year.

As a bonus, the folks at Media Play gave me a couple comemorative plastic cards, featuring the prince and Aurora in her blue dress. :smile:
Erin

Gonzo

Reaction score
Haven't picked it up yet.

Probably tomorrow.

The pink dress merchandising is gonna drive me batty.

And *I* told you about the audio commentary, but no, you were like "oh I KNOW IT ALL!" and so I thought, well, I'll just let him see what he thinks he knows mister smarty-pants and then you can just sit on it.

:cry:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
:eek:

Yeesh, I'm sorry Quinn, I honestly don't remember you mentionin' the commentary to me! :embarrassed:

Which, incidentally, I just watched, and absolutedly loved.

:flirt:

And fantastic Erin, I'm glad ya got it! :smile:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Yeah....I need to get this....You know, I've never actually seen Sleeping Beauty all the way through? (Here's where Byron gets all shocked and appalled at me. :wink: ) I know, and I call myself a student of animation and everything....And it's such a beautifully done film....I've jut never gotten to see it all the way through.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Wouldn't it make more sense to say "Really! IT is!"?
In any case, it's definitely a purchase I'll have to make now that I have MONEY!!!! (Ah, yes, that which makes babysitting worthwhile! : ) ) Or, maybe I'll just ask my indulgent aunt for it....

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Byron, in honor of "Sleeping Beauty" being released (I think I'm going to go buy it for my piece of Happy from this paycheck) I thought I would share with you the reference to the movie that Bewitched made on several occassions
Endora would appear as a glowing, follow-me ball that she used to wake Samantha and get her downstairs to talk to her in private just like Malificent used to lead Sleeping Beauty to the spinning wheel. I hadn't realized that before.