Slight improvements in specials

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hey,
Lately I've been thinking of some of the missed opportunities on Sesame Street specials. Let me explain. I finally watched Big Bird in China the other day and it was pretty neat. I liked the fact that Bert and Ernie, Grover, Cookie Monster, the Two-Headed Monster, and Oscar and Telly were all able to make cameos. It was also pretty neat to see Big Bird and Barkley as main characters! (Although I guess they more or less were once before in A Special Sesame Street Christmas from 1978!) We have the same Big Bird and Barkley touring the country routine in the "Big Bird in Japan" special, but unfortunately, no cameos as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I watched the 25th. anniversary special again today because I really love it. That's much more like what a special should be. "The Street We Live On" was okay and they did some cool stuff with it. But there should have been more.
But even besides that, I think the 25th. anniversary special could have run a little longer and worked in some more characters like: Buster the horse, Rodeo Rosie, Herbert Birdsfoot, Will Franklin (? I think that's right) Sherlock Hemlock, Sunny Friendly, Twiddle Bugs, Slimey, Grungetta, the Countess, etc. (There's probably more I'm forgetting. Hey, for that matter, they could have thrown in Rowlf too. I did think it was cool that there's a brief cameo of Kermit during the "Adventure" song, when they come to the castle and you can see Kermit sitting in a tree.)

Also it would have been nice to see Frazzle in there during the "Fuzzy and Blue (And Orange)" song. Or even Bruno and Sully. (Biff did show up, on the "Do De Rubber Duck" song.)

Anyway, when I saw the CinderElmo special, all I could think was that it would have been much more fitting and cooler to have the Amazing Mumford in the role of fairy godperson and have Sherlock Hemlock show up to help the princess find out whose foot the shoe fit. I also think Guy Smiley makes a good prince or king role and should have been in there.
Even the dog could have been played by Barkley or even Rowlf!

For that matter, in the Muppets and the Wizard of Oz movie, Rowlf would be the ideal choice to play Toto, not Pepe! (And seeing as how Rowlf's performer died, they don't have Rowlf say too much anymore. But it's not like Toto would probably be saying too much anyway.)

Anyway, just something to think about. It'd be so cool just to see even quick cameos of these characters that don't get shown nearly enough anymore.

:crazy: :attitude: :sympathy: :frown: :smile: