Some of the most obscue Sesame Street muppets

Censored

Reaction score
What are some of the most obscure muppets on Sesame Street that you recall?
I would say some very obscure ones were the monster's in the skit with Grover and Herry's alphabet secret. I never saw those characters in anything else. That muppet in a paper bag seemed like a variation of Oscar. Also, the fact that he was a red devil and had a female companion named Rosemary made me wonder if the characters weren't inspired by the movie "Rosemary's Baby". LOL

I wonder if skits like that were sort of pilot episodes for new muppets to see if they should be used again.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I remember in the mid 80's these Rock Creatures visited Sesame Street. They had really low deep voices, and sounded kind of scary. I don't remember a whole lot about them, but I do remember them announcing the sponsors at the end of the episode. If I'm not mistaken, there where 3 of them all together. Does anyone else besides me remember them or remember what their names where. They seemed kind of strange and out of place on the show.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I wonder if skits like that were sort of pilot episodes for new muppets to see if they should be used again.

That makes sense. I am sure they do something like that. I think The Count started that way. Yes, he is a popular well recognized character, but I've always considered him a supporting player. And when he first started out I don't think they realized how great a character he would later become and his personality has developed into more than just a crazy vampire who is obsessed with numbers. He turned into a hip and cool guy and at times a wise sage to the younger Muppets (as in Elmo Saves Christmas). Who knew he would become a little more dimensional??

mikebennidict

Reaction score
even though I read GeeBee's post I don't understand why you'd consider the count a supporting character. I do believe they meant everyone to be equal on the show.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how "obscure" he was.......

I know in the first few episodes they actually made Cookie Monster out to be a kind of obscure character; always creeping up out of no where and wrecking what ever he got his hands on! In fact, at first he wasn't even called "Cookie Monster", but, instead was simply refered to as "Monster". No one ever knew when to expect him, and, when he did show up, you could guarantee trouble was not far behind! (Needless to say he has "toned down" conciderably over the years).

Another obscure character was "Beautifull Day Monster". Never came out very often, but when it decided to, it never failed to make a pretty grand appearance!

But as far a being the most obscure of all the characters, I would have to say "The Martians" took first place. Of course, we always saw them, but as for the other characters on the street, hardly anyone else even seemed to know they existed!:stick_out_tongue:

greg

Reaction score
The two girls that Manah Manah was bothering were never seen again.:big_grin: Also the guy that was in the "circles,rectangles,triangles, & squares" skit.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Actually the green girl Muppet with the red hair who sang "Mah Na Mah Na" also got to appear with the boy in the clip about the number 7, where he sang "Going to St. Ive's". But the purple one went back to Don Sahlin's workbench, got her eyes and hair pulled off, stripped of her dress, and went back to Anything Muppet anonymity. Too bad.

The character Nobody who counted to 10 (posted elsewhere- he's the one that is a pair of eyes and a mouth against a black background) only shows up in one skit, but his voice narrates a similar clip for the number 4.

The director in the Little Miss Muffett skit got his white wig taken off, got his shades confiscated, and got fixed up to be Guy Smiley again.

After Marty sang his bit "Has Anybody Seen My Dog?", he too became one for the ages.

I'm sure there must be other one-clip wonders, but that's all I can recall for now. More to follow. Stay tuned, folks.