Somebody Come and Play

ceecee

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how this song was originally used? I really like this song and remember it from when I watched when I was a kid in the 80's. I just can't remember what context it was used in. I can only think of the more recent one with Ernie singing it to a bunch of cute little forest creatures. I like that one too, but now I can't remember the old one.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
the 1st time i rememeber hearing the song was this film of apes in a zoo and Joe Raposo singing the song. it might have been the 1st time the song was ever used.

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
the 1st time i rememeber hearing the song was this film of apes in a zoo and Joe Raposo singing the song. it might have been the 1st time the song was ever used.
I think you're right about that; that's the way I remember it too, and that segment is in one of the early "Unpaved" episodes (a Season 2 episode). I'm gonna guess it dates back to the 1969-1970 season though, since the song itself is on the first album (though in a rerecorded version with children's voices instead of Joe Raposo's). Later, that same original (Raposo) recording was used again (I happened upon it in one of the 1993-1994 "123 Sesame Street" episodes on Noggin) with different visuals (of what, I can't remember at the moment). And there also is that one clip Noggin showed as a "Deja Noggin" segment (which I saw exactly one time) with Big Bird singing the song in an arrangement very similar to the one on the CD "Platinum Too" (at least based on the short sample I was able to hear at amazon.com).

Beauregard

Reaction score
That songs is about all I remeber seeing of SS, and I thought it was sung with two Leapords(sp?) rolling and playing in the snow. Is that right?

Whatever

Reaction score
I remember hearing the song, but none of the skits described ring a bell for me.

ceecee

Reaction score
Ok, the zoo thing seems familiar to me now. And I thought it was Joe Raposo singing it, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
:sing: Everybody sing! :smile:

Somebody come and play
Somebody come and play today
Somebody come and smile the smiles
And sing the songs
It won't take long
Somebody come and play today

Somebody come and play
Somebody come and play my way
Somebody come and rhyme the rhymes