Something I don't understand

BEAR

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
By the way, I thought it was neat and cute that when I worked at a nursing home there was an elderly man who wanted the channel changed to Mr. Rogers every day. :smile:

That's one of the best things I have ever heard!:smile:

JLG

Reaction score
That's weird. I think he has it totally backwards. SS (at least older SS) was sometimes so fast and over the heads of kids, that I question its educational value.
Mr. Rogers, on the other hand, spoke directly to children, in a patient, quiet manner that created a kind of bond between him and the viewer that a fast-paced, jokey show like SS never could.

I watch SS and laugh a lot, because I feel like it's being addressed to three audiences, the child, the adult, and the adult's inner child. All three. But whenever I see Mr. Rogers now, I personally feel like I'm intruding. It feels to me like I'm violating a special place for children to go, where adults shouldn't venture. This is just my feeling (no offense intended to anyone who watches it), but it comes from my immense respect for the man and his approach, and the intimacy he achieved with his audience. I feel like I'm listening in on someone's private, personal conversation.

BEAR

Reaction score
JLG said:
That's weird. I think he has it totally backwards. SS (at least older SS) was sometimes so fast and over the heads of kids, that I question its educational value.
Mr. Rogers, on the other hand, spoke directly to children, in a patient, quiet manner that created a kind of bond between him and the viewer that a fast-paced, jokey show like SS never could.

I watch SS and laugh a lot, because I feel like it's being addressed to three audiences, the child, the adult, and the adult's inner child. All three. But whenever I see Mr. Rogers now, I personally feel like I'm intruding. It feels to me like I'm violating a special place for children to go, where adults shouldn't venture. This is just my feeling (no offense intended to anyone who watches it), but it comes from my immense respect for the man and his approach, and the intimacy he achieved with his audience. I feel like I'm listening in on someone's private, personal conversation.
Nice insights.:smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I agree with a lot that has been said here. I was lucky enough to grow up with both shows in my childhood, and there is still something to be gained from watching vintage clips of these shows again. Not just for the sake of nostalgia.

Both shows can be appreciated by people of all ages. There are elements that can appeal to you regardless of age. It's nice to take a trip back in time and relive some of the Sesame stuff. Some of the Muppet clips, animations, and Joe Raposo's songs will never grow old.

I'll always appreciate Fred Rogers for the wonderful lessons he taught, in a way young people would be very receptive to. And some grownups can learn a few lessons from him too. There was nothing phoney about the man.

The care and the quality are so evident in both shows, as well as the attempt to reach people at different ages. Shows like Barney, which are strictly geared for very young viewers, can't hold a candle to these classics.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Barney has some redeeming features too, but to me, that show seems so contrived in a way Mr. Rogers' neighborhood never was.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Mr. Rogers' value is the same as that of Fraggle Rock, but it's aim is for a much younger audience although still able to be appreciated by adults. Sesame Street's producers proclaimed that the show was supposed to be enjoyed by everyone, so that families could watch together and parents could answer questions the kids may have during the show and enjoy the program. On the similar note, Fraggle Rock was intended to bring everyone together around the world--quite the same notion SS has had. Honestly, we all know Mr. Rogers because of SS, and SS because of Mr. Rogers--if PBS hadn't aired them so closely together I don't know what we'd have done. Still, Big Bird and Oscar (I believe both) appeared on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood show--I don't recall that he visited SS.

BEAR

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Mr. Rogers' value is the same as that of Fraggle Rock, but it's aim is for a much younger audience although still able to be appreciated by adults. Sesame Street's producers proclaimed that the show was supposed to be enjoyed by everyone, so that families could watch together and parents could answer questions the kids may have during the show and enjoy the program. On the similar note, Fraggle Rock was intended to bring everyone together around the world--quite the same notion SS has had. Honestly, we all know Mr. Rogers because of SS, and SS because of Mr. Rogers--if PBS hadn't aired them so closely together I don't know what we'd have done. Still, Big Bird and Oscar (I believe both) appeared on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood show--I don't recall that he visited SS.

Agreed on all counts made, Kev. Also, I do believe that Fred Rogers appeared on Sesame Street once before.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I hope they have it on the SS DVD sets one day if he did.

Mr. Rogers was a very nice guy. I miss him, too.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've reallty never stoped whaching Mr. Rogers. Althow I don't what him ever day. People do take it that it's for kids because that's the way it's protraid. But I whach the Neighborhood of make believe and It still makes me laugh and not because it's for little kids either, becaus it's guinuenly funny. And stuff that I wouldn't have laughed at when I was little either. Some of the stuff he wrights and comes up with are some of the funniest and most geniously writter things I've herd in all of television. A lot of stuff can't touch this guy. And some of the casual diolog that have on that shoe is amazing, you can't make this stuff up. If I saw any othe show whwer someone is just sitting there in the dark and being quite or thinking about ty chi or just taking a nice, long look at a flower, I wouls fall asleep, get boared, ture the channle and would'n give it a secounf thought. But Fred had this way about him and he always made it amusing and make you sit up and pay attention and partisipate. no one else could do it like him. There were many answer shows but they couldn't come to his levle.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Way cool.

See, there's no contest--one without the other is a crying shame. thank goodness for repeat shows, eh?

And what is up with Bert and the whole "emotion" thing? In that episode in the link he's doing a "show me your emotion" thing with a kid named David. He did that with John John and other kids, too.

I guess Bert's just emotional, huh?