Something I noticed about The Count

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the Count rarely (if ever) upset about anything? Out of all the characters on the show, he seems the most content, the most mellow (errr... so to speak), and the most constantly happy (or at least content).

Clearly this has a lot to do with his counting passion, as there's always something to count. Like that immortal sketch where he's at a picnic, and the ants steal all his food. He's too busy counting the ants to care the food is gone.

Is there any time where he was extremely upset about anything?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the Count rarely (if ever) upset about anything? Out of all the characters on the show, he seems the most content, the most mellow (errr... so to speak), and the most constantly happy (or at least content).

Clearly this has a lot to do with his counting passion, as there's always something to count. Like that immortal sketch where he's at a picnic, and the ants steal all his food. He's too busy counting the ants to care the food is gone.

Are you saying the Count is like Rain Man? :batty: He he! I at least see some mathematical OCD tendencies to him. I hope the PC police never take that away! :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are you saying the Count is like Rain Man? :batty: He he! I at least see some mathematical OCD tendencies to him. I hope the PC police never take that away! :insatiable:
Rainman was CONSTANTLY upset. He was always furious about missing Judge Wapner... and he only bought his underwear at K-mart...

I'm saying this. The Count has a simple pleasure in life that lets him understand the beauty of things... the beauty of numbers in things too...

I think there's a good message in that. Nothing worries or bothers the Count, because there's always something to look forward to in any situation. There's no upsetting someone with an outlook on life that good.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I never noticed that before, but now that you mention it, in the Muppet Family Christmas he didn't seem to care about the blizzard - he was perfectly content simply counting the snowflakes :wink:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Well, he did get frustrated a few times. Once when he wanted sheep to count and got a substitute instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G29xwDFpS0

And then he got frustrated with Ernie when Ernie tried to answer Count's phone. "Oh, you tricky Ernie!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JaT54B0BqI

And here's something else I wondered about the Count...he apparently sleeps in a bed. However, look at what his phone is resting on...that's right. A coffin!

I've noticed a coffin in a couple other Count clips, too. Here in "The Song of the Count", and even as recently in "I Could Have Counted All Night". Click on the Count to check it out.

There's another clip out there (late 1980s) about what different people do on their birthdays. The Count has a verse where he's counting presents. He has them spread out on what looks like a coffee table...only with a lid and handles.

Hmmm...:batty:

Convincing John

Convincing John

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember one time, the Count was sad because he didn't have anything to count. "I'm one sad Count!" he said, but then he became happy again now that he counted himself.

wiley207

Reaction score
The Count got kind of upset when Cookie Monster ate the apples he was counting, and Cookie also felt upset too, until they agreed to count the apple cores (leading into a funny scene with Cookie imitating the Count's laugh, and they both circle each other going "AH, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!"

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, to show that the Count is not completely 1-dimensional, take a look at some of the Muppet specials/movies. He was sad that Big Bird was leaving Sesame Street in Follow That Bird. When it comes to matters of friendship and those he cares about, The Count can get emotional. And then in Elmo Saves Christmas he is sad when everything falls apart a year later after it's been Christmas everyday. Here is one of my favorite Count moments:

"Ah yes, December 25th, once the official Christmas Day. This year only Christmas #365 and I am tired of counting them! The Count is Christmased out, and so is Sesame Street...My little red chum, when it's Christmas every day, Christmas is no longer special. Too bad, I loved counting Christmas cards."

Oscarfan

Reaction score
And here's something else I wondered about the Count...he apparently sleeps in a bed. However, look at what his phone is resting on...that's right. A coffin!
Well, he couldn't use his bed as a table no could he. :batty: