Something I'd Like to Share with Everyone.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I think this is a really great story, especially because its true.
---
---
Today at Rickey's (which is the bar I work at for those who aren't familiar with my life story, heh) our normal dishwasher Enrique was out. One of the cooks, Moses, was filling in for him. This puzzled me, being that in the 9 months I've been working at Rickey's, Rique had never missed a day. So, at the end of the night when everything had slowed down and I was about ready to pack up and leave for home, my curiosity got the better of me and I asked Moses about Rique's whereabouts.

**Moses's English is much better than most of cooks at Rickey's; certainly better than Enrique's, as he barely speaks any English at all. As a side note, (which has very little baring on the story,) I think it is interesting that I am so fond of Enrique, even though we rarely effectively communicate verbally. I guess I can just tell he is a genuinely decent man, and a darn fine worker. Now, back to the story**

Moses said to me "He went to the airport. He is picking up his wife."

As many of the cooks are Mexican, I asked "From Mexico?"

"No," Moses said, "his family and him are from Peru. There is where she comes from. His children also."

I commented on how good I thought it was that Rique and his family could be reunited. Moses went on to tell me that Rique has 3 children, and that they were all very happy to be coming to America. I thought it was great, and I was about to leave it at that, when Moses said "It is the American dream, you know?"

I turned around and smiled. "Yes, yes it is the American dream. It is a wonderful dream, isn't it?"

"Yes my friend. I come here from Mexico. Later my wife and child, they come to live with me. I work and I get paid well here. We all love this country very much."

That statement right there made my heart just float. I was so happy to hear him say something as wonderful as that. To me, it was just uplifting. It redefined areas of me where I might have been less patriotic than I wanted to be.

I said "I am so glad you have a life you are happy with here Moses. I love this country for the same reasons you do. I love that we are free here, and that we have ways of making lives that we can be proud of."

I remembered that I had bought a few index card-sized American Flags at school, the proceeds of which were going towards support of our troops in Iraq. I gave one to Moses. I told him to take care of himself, and to say hello to his wife for me (who I had met a few nights earlier when she came into the bar to eat).

I left the bar with a really warm feeling. It was a great feeling. A really, really great feeling.

--
--
I'm sure some of the common MC cynics will argue that there is some agenda behind this story. There is none. The one and only point this story is trying to prove is that America is a wonderful place, and I personally am grateful to live here. That is all. No politics, no war opinions, no nothing. Just Patriotism.

(This is also not meant to disrespect any MC members who aren't American. I'm sure there have been similar types of incidents in all of your respective countries as well. :smile:)

So, that's my story. I hope it has brightened your day. Or night. Or whatever time you looked it over. :smile:

-Matt

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
That is a very touching story Matt, and i think you told it perfectly:smile:

Zack,

foofoocakes

Reaction score
We are so spoiled its easy to forget how lucky we are.
Thanks Matt

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Awwww, that's great, Matt! Thanks fer sharin' it. :smile:
that's just what i was thinking

Sarah