Something I've been wondering about Bean

That Announcer

Reaction score
Just reading this thread makes my blood boil. Bean is too cute for the Muppets. I'm really surprised that many people attack Elmo for being too cute (I do this as well), but nobody attacks Bean for being too cute. He doesn't belong!

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i loved bean i hope that he would have been in MWoO but what you going to do

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Just reading this thread makes my blood boil. Bean is too cute for the Muppets. I'm really surprised that many people attack Elmo for being too cute (I do this as well), but nobody attacks Bean for being too cute. He doesn't belong!
Yeah, but it's for the comedy now. Everything I've seen with him he gets beat up somehow and that's like the Muppets. IMO, I think he's funny.

- :zany:

rexcrk

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
i loved bean i hope that he would have been in MWoO but what you going to do
Actually if I remember right, he WAS in the Muppet Wizard of Oz. Kinda towards the beginning before Dorothy goes to Oz when Kermit and Miss Piggy are there I think Bean is moving a suitcase or something...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Not having seen The Bunny Picnic, I can safely say that Bean's presense in Muppet projects is intended as a joke. I always felt the character was self-satirical. Unlike Elmo, the character of Bean (IMO) is supposed to be that he IS cute, and that he is annoyingly so. Similar to Nermal from Garfield. The character knows he's cute, acts cute, and always looks like he's trying hard to stay as cute as he can. That way either one of 2 gags comes up. Bean meets some sort of repercussion (i.e. the door slam in MFS) or the constantly being annoying to the other characters, and spreding cuteness where it isn't wanted (i.e. the Space Guy skit from JHH).

I am well aware that Steve is busy with other character, if anyone wants to know. But I was curious, since a lot of other muppets were abandoned after performers tired of performing them. Like Harvey Kneeslapper, for example.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
actually, he has not always been just a background character. he was around right before jim henson died, he was the star of the television special tale of the Bunny Picnic, he was one of the main characters on The Jim Henson Hour, and he had big parts in The Muppets At walt disney world and muppetvision 3D, and he had a semi-big part in the muppet christmas carol. although the role wasn't too big, he was featured on the movie poster/ album/ video/ dvd cover, something that did not happen with bunsen, beaker, sam, belinda, betina or peter, characters who were either more major or just as major as bean was in that movie.

another way that he could have been used was in Muppet treasure Island. he could have been a "cute" pirate, using his cuteness for evil, and then either getting kicked out of the pirates for being too cute, or he could have decided to use his cuteness for good.
Yeah, I forgot about all those other things he's done; and I haven't seen JHH in so long I couldn't remember. I did know he was a star in Bunny Picnic, though.

He was in MWoO and was helping to move Piggy's luggage off the bus.

I've always loved him, and was disappointed that he was one of the 4 characters Palisades didn't make as a figure. the other 3 would be Sal, Articulated Robin, and Bobo.

Also, I have to wonder if he was becoming a main character before Jim's death because Steve needed more characters in the gang besides Rizzo and Lips; and if his death isn't what prompted Bean to move back into the background because Steve was taking over sooo many other characters by that time?

unclematt

Reaction score
I would just like to say this: I was never a big Bean fan but it is always sad to see a Muppet fade away.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Also, I have to wonder if he was becoming a main character before Jim's death because Steve needed more characters in the gang besides Rizzo and Lips; and if his death isn't what prompted Bean to move back into the background because Steve was taking over sooo many other characters by that time?
I have read two interviews with steve whitmire where he says that at his last meeting with jim henson, jim was concerned with the fact that steve whitmire didn't have very many muppet characters besides rizzo the rat (one of those interviews also mentioned bean bunny). of course, if jim henson thought that rizzo was such a main character, then I wonder why rizzo didn't do much on the jim henson hour (i know that rizzo was in the monster telethon episode. are there any other episodes of the jim henson hour that rizzo appeared in?)

It seems like Jim Henson wanted rizzo to be stevfe whitmires main character, since he normally appeared in grouo scene son the muppet show, he was in many books (even mentioned by name in some books), and he appeared in every muppet special in the 1980s, a privledge that lips and foo foo didn't get, even though they go with certain characters and rizzo didn't (foo foo should have been in the fantastic miss piggy show, and lips should have been in john denver and the muppets: rocky mountain holiday).

considering that jim henson wanted steve whitmire to have more characters, he should have tried to have flash and jaques roach (and possibly waldo) become part of the main cast.

Xerus

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I have read two interviews with steve whitmire where he says that at his last meeting with jim henson, jim was concerned with the fact that steve whitmire didn't have very many muppet characters besides rizzo the rat (one of those interviews also mentioned bean bunny). of course, if jim henson thought that rizzo was such a main character, then I wonder why rizzo didn't do much on the jim henson hour (i know that rizzo was in the monster telethon episode. are there any other episodes of the jim henson hour that rizzo appeared in?)

It seems like Jim Henson wanted rizzo to be stevfe whitmires main character, since he normally appeared in grouo scene son the muppet show, he was in many books (even mentioned by name in some books), and he appeared in every muppet special in the 1980s, a privledge that lips and foo foo didn't get, even though they go with certain characters and rizzo didn't (foo foo should have been in the fantastic miss piggy show, and lips should have been in john denver and the muppets: rocky mountain holiday).

considering that jim henson wanted steve whitmire to have more characters, he should have tried to have flash and jaques roach (and possibly waldo) become part of the main cast.
Waldo should've stayed on there. I can imagine him popping up on Muppets Tonight a lot. Or even hanging out in the Muppet boarding house in MFS. Maybe have Waldo sneak into the building to help save Gonzo by knocking out the power so the other Muppets can get in.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Waldo should've stayed on there. I can imagine him popping up on Muppets Tonight a lot. Or even hanging out in the Muppet boarding house in MFS. Maybe have Waldo sneak into the building to help save Gonzo by knocking out the power so the other Muppets can get in.
If the jim henson hour ever gets a DVD release, I think it would be appropiate to have waldo introduce the features, perhaps at muppet central (the control room from the series). digit could also do this. It is a shame that waldo didn't appear in any of the video games, although with the muppets being computer animated, waldo might not be as impressive (although he would still be as magical).