Something to "crow" about?

Tom Lauten

Reaction score
H everyone,

I'm new to the forum but thought Iwould just jump in with post.

I am a professional special effects artist (www.nimbacreations.com) and amateur magician.

I would like to build a Muppet-esque character to build a comedy magic act with. I have built many animatronics in the past but this is my forst forray into "soft-tech" as we call it in the fx business and I am a total newbie in terms of working with fabrics etc.

I want to make a really dumpy and forlorn crow character who doe little more than blink and turn it's head. It wants to be dead pan and stoic, kind of a Buster Keaton style character who is not much more than a ball of black with a beak and two hooded eyes.

I have seen fur type fabrics used for feathers many times before but have no idea how or where to find them or what they might be called.

I like the fabrics that have clumps of fur with highlighted tips and a lot of movement and or sheen. Id like the Crow to have that nice satin finish.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to start putting names and suppliers to the image I have in my mind?

I live in Scotlan so any UK suppliers or resources would be fantastic.

Thanks everyone!