SONBEAM PUPPETS RABBIT ON EBAY~feedback

Reaction score
Hi! I have created a large 43" RABBIT puppet and it's on ebay right now. I am from way up north in Michigan(where puppetry or fellow puppet people are in great numbers) and I am looking for some feedback on the puppets that we are creating and any ideas of what we can do to possibly make our product better for puppeteers to use. We sometimes sell our product for small cost but mostly I love to sew and create different characters. I LOVE the muppets and JIM HENSON! I would LOVE to have some of you more experienced puppeteers/puppet creators to give me feedback on my creations. Thank you and God bless! :excited:
The rabbit is under: SONBEAM PUPPETS in the ebay search.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming that you're doing this as a business, since you have multiple auctions on ebay which is a little different than doing this as hobby.

My first suggestion - and again this is based on the assumption you're starting a little business - is to consider working towards developing a unique look or style for your puppets. Right now I could name off 10 other builders/companies that are building and selling very similar puppets on ebay. The look has been done to death and it's everywhere.

The most sucessful and well known builders on the web succeed because they've esthablished their own style. Steve Axtell is a great example of this. When you see one of Steve's puppets you can tell it's by his company. Ditto for someone like Scott Radke who's work is so original that he's getting a lot of attention outside the puppet world.

The key to being successful, especially in a competitive marketplace like ebay is to constantly innovative, not imitate.

I know that may sound harsh, but it's the truth. I don't meant to suggest that your puppets aren't original, just that the style you're using has been around a long time and anyone with $10 can get patterns to do something similar. Developing a unique style is hard and takes a long time. It's something that I continue to struggle with myself, but I think it's very important.

Reaction score
Thank you soooo much for the WONDERFUL reminder of creating a style all of our own. Our whole puppet creating/ministry is mainly built to help small churches, missionaries and schools who want quailty puppets at a very low price. Now I am starting to branch out(just a bit) and start to create "new" things/ideas that we haven't attempted before. This is mostly hobby for me as I am a mother of 2 that stays at home with my kids and has a "daycare" for 3 other children also. This is mostly naptime and after bedtime work. Thank you again for your reminder and your response. It is MUCH appreciated! God bless! SONBEAM CREATOR
Thank you also to fish'N'wolfe for adding the link to my items for easy viewing. My computer skills are very limited and all the help I can get sure does help! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :smile:

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Sonbeam Bunny!

Hello,
Thank you for showing us your latest puppet. I don't agree that he is of a style that is "done to death". I suspect he was made using your own pattern not a $10 one!
Your own "style" is already there and will evolve, as I am sure it did with all of us. Have fun and experiment, and don't be discouraged.
You will inspire others in so doing. God Bless you, and your heart for puppetry, ministry and otherwise!
Mandy

Iokitek

Reaction score
Well actually I do believe the look has been done to death. Ofcourse I would not want to discourage anyone to do whatever they like however they like to do it. But Buck makes a few good points.

whatadoddle

Reaction score
I agree, Buck is a real expert and I truly value his comments, it's just that Sonbeam is obviously new to the forum like me, and us raw recruits need all the encouragement we can get!
My first few puppets are the ugliest things I have ever seen but when I built them I thought they were great, luckily everyone else did too, otherwise I may have given up, and never found my own style, and a truly fun and absorbing hobby!

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Mandy. I do appreciate your encouragement. This is a FUN hobby for me and someday(may take awhile) I may find my style. Thanks again! SONBEAM CREATOR

WildJoker

Reaction score
Pretty cute puppets. Looks like you pay attention to detail and they look like clean construction. That is a plus.

On the topic of finding your own style I think it is important but give it time and it'll come. I was looking at your other puppets you had up and noticed something. Your blacklight puppets are doing pretty well in the bidding. I have found that there is somewhat of a demand for blacklight puppets so that may be an area to look at expanding. Custom work is also highly sought after and I think you could fit in that catagory. I think that Buck may be refering to the fact that they are the furry fuzzy type of hand in mouth puppet wich is somewhat common but clientale that you are targeting at this point do seem to like that style. My hand in mouth style is different but I still get request for this type of puppet. There may just be a limit to what you can charge even for custom work.

Try to get your name out there. You have made a great start by joining here and posting. There are other communities you can join and websites that you can post at that may help when it comes to the custom work. Try not to spam them but be involved let's people know who you are and how to contact you.

You've made a great start... keep up the good work!

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all you had to say! We have been doing MUCH more with the blacklight puppets than in years before(that may be our style). I appreciate your looking at our puppets and the feedback! Thank you so much! God bless! SONBEAM CREATOR