Song with "Rubber Band" characters

illgaz

Reaction score
phen na ma nop.. (help)

there was a skit when i was a kid on the muppet show that had "rubber band" characters and were singing "phen na ma nop...doo.. doo doodoo.....phen na ma nop ......doo doo dadoo. phen na ma nop.... doo doo doo dadodo...etc etc etc ( a really hard song to type) now there is a commercial on tv that has the same song and it is haunting me again. does someone have a link to the skit on the internet so i can show my kids im not crazy?? please help..

thank you

illgaz

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Illgaz, looks like you've started up your own thread for your own requests now. Well, since I can't E-mail you through the forums and since there's no PM link in your profile, I'll respond as best I can fright here.

Sure I can help you out, and I'll try to do so to the best of my abilities.
1 Just because I'm building my complete Muppets Listing doesn't mean I have all the productions cited in my list. Will someday, but not now.
2 Aws for the characters in question, there seems to be some confusion.
a. The Rubber Band Men played the instrumental accompanyment for Linda Carter when she sang the song "Rubber Band Men" on her TMS episode.
b. The song "Phenna Na Ma Nop" doesn't rully exist, but I bet you're thinking of the classic "Mahna Mahna".
c. The song "Mahna Mahna" was sung by the classic Jim Henson character of the same name and two pink cowlike creatures known as the Snowths as his backup singers.
d. The place you probably heard it was as part of one of the new commercials for Diet Cherry Vanilla Doctor Pepper.
3 You can find a copy of the performance of the song "Mahna Mahna" on the Juliette Prowst TMS episode, on one of the Time-Life DVD's of The Best of the Muppet Show. You can also find the Linda Carter TMS episode with the Rubber Band Men on a different Time-Life DVD of The Best of the Muppet Show. You can find these and purchase them by visiting Time-Life's website or asking around the boards in the Buy, Sell or Trade section of the forums.
4 If you're interested, Palisades Toys also made a Mini Muppets PVC figurine of Mahna Mahna and another one of both Snowths. However, they were packed in two different packs, but you could ask around for people who might have extras or try to find them along with their respective sets on eBay.
Hope this helps you and welcome to MC!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Count said:
3 You can find a copy of the performance of the song "Mahna Mahna" on the Juliette Prowst TMS episode, on one of the Time-Life DVD's of The Best of the Muppet Show. You can also find the Linda Carter TMS episode with the Rubber Band Men on a different Time-Life DVD of The Best of the Muppet Show. You can find these and purchase them by visiting Time-Life's website or asking around the boards in the Buy, Sell or Trade section of the forums.
It can also be found on the "Muppets Magic (from the Ed Sullivan Show)" DVD.

D

Dil

Would it be possible to cut Lynda's appearance in that number for an "It's The Muppets" video? Would it more interesting for kids if the number is instumental and have just the Rubber band men?

David French

Reaction score
Dil said:
Would it be possible to cut Lynda's appearance in that number for an "It's The Muppets" video? Would it more interesting for kids if the number is instumental and have just the Rubber band men?
But the song wouldn't make sense as the Rubber Band men are only onstage sans Carter for a short time, and the song itself goes for a couple of minutes.