Sonia Manzano's debut

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
It's not uncommon for people in their 20s to play teens on TV. Melissa Joan Hart was 20 something when she started playing Sabrina who was 16 at the time. Another example was Stacey Dash from "Clueless."
I think the most famous example of a non-teen playing a teenager is Michael J. Fox. I've read that he was 18 when Family Ties began, and Back To The Future, where he was also a teen, was filmed a few years later.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Sissy Spacek was a whopping 27 when she played a high school senior in the movie Carrie. Some people just wear their age very well. Same as Sonia. She's well into her fifties now, but you wouldn't know it.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
superfan said:
It was also mentioned in the SS Biography (either by her or Harry Smith).
And it showed a clip of her showing BigBird the letter M ("for Maria") . I heard somewhere that that was one of her first appearances...
That was her first appearance, way back in show #276 (the first show of the third season).

zns

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
That was her first appearance, way back in show #276 (the first show of the third season).
:smile: Ah yes. That was a good one. I have it on tape. It's one of my favorite early episodes.

superfan

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Oh for heaven's sake. Whaddya know. Thanks!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I know the SSU book lists her as a teen and they also list her as comming on in 1974 witch is definitly wrong. but here's why I question about her being a teen. for 1 thing we never saw her parents, and while that was the case with Gina when she 1st came on and some of those other teenaged kids who are long gone, Gina along with the others to the best of my knoweledge didn't live in the 123 building or above the stores witch is why I sort of question it but then again I could be wrong as well.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
I know the SSU book lists her as a teen and they also list her as comming on in 1974 witch is definitly wrong. but here's why I question about her being a teen. for 1 thing we never saw her parents, and while that was the case with Gina when she 1st came on and some of those other teenaged kids who are long gone, Gina along with the others to the best of my knoweledge didn't live in the 123 building or above the stores witch is why I sort of question it but then again I could be wrong as well.
Just because we never saw her parents doesn't mean they couldn't have been there. Also, some teenagers (especially those in their late teens) get their own apartments. Bear made reference to an A & E Biography where Sonia Manzano said that she played Maria as a teenager; that supports the argument beyond what the book says because she would certainly know. So yes, I do think you are mistaken.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually, I remember Maria's mother. She appeared some time in the 80s. I can't remember who played her, but I remember a segment where Maria told Big Bird that even though she's an adult, her mother still felt that she should go with her when she crosses the street. I even remember Big Bird imagining Maria as an old woman who still had to wait for her mother to cross the street and Big Bird had to return an overdue library book.

And of course Mrs. Figueroa (or whatever the name was) appeared for Maria and Luis' wedding.

Censored

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Actually, I remember Maria's mother. She appeared some time in the 80s. I can't remember who played her, but I remember a segment where Maria told Big Bird that even though she's an adult, her mother still felt that she should go with her when she crosses the street. I even remember Big Bird imagining Maria as an old woman who still had to wait for her mother to cross the street and Big Bird had to return an overdue library book.

And of course Mrs. Figueroa (or whatever the name was) appeared for Maria and Luis' wedding.

I don't know if it was the same actress, but Maria's mother was also at her wedding. The verse that she sang in the song said, "I wish her father would have lived to see this day; he would be so proud", so obviously her father was deceased by that time.

It wasn't clear where her parents were when she first moved to Sesame Street, but again, it certainly isn't unheard of for people in their late teens to have their own apartment, especially if they are a little "hippie-ish".

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I don't know if it was the same actress, but Maria's mother was also at her wedding. The verse that she sang in the song said, "I wish her father would have lived to see this day; he would be so proud", so obviously her father was deceased by that time.

It wasn't clear where her parents were when she first moved to Sesame Street, but again, it certainly isn't unheard of for people in their late teens to have their own apartment, especially if they are a little "hippie-ish".

Yeah and if you are 18 or 19, you are legally an adult and its possible to live on your own.