Sony Wonder re-release covers

minor muppetz

Reaction score
back when Sony Wonder got the video rights for Sesame Street, many previously-released videos had new covers. sometimes, the only differences were the lack of a boarder and a different background (usually plain-colored). but on other re-releases, the covers were signifficantly different.

i would like to make a list of all cover changes. first, the videos released by both random house and sony wonder where the covers were pretty much the same:
sesame streets 25th birthday: a musical celebration (the only video re-release where the packaging was exactly the same as the original)
learning About letters
learning about numbers
the best of ernie and bert
monster hits
sing yourself silly
dance along
sing, hoot & howl: with the sesame street animals
the best of elmo

and here are the cover changes that i know of. sometimes the picture from the original cover would be used on the back cover, and other times they would be completely new pictures. here are the covers:
getting ready to read: on the original release, oscar held a book (this was one of the few live action photos where he wore his trash can lid on his head). on the re-release, big bird held a stack of books.
play-along games and songs: the orignal cover had bert and ernie playing some sort of throwing game (there was something on the wall). on the re-release, big bird and forgetful jones played this game.
bedtime stories and songs: originally, ernie was in his room, reading a book in his pajamas. the re-release was titled Sleepytime songs and Stories and the cover had big bird, but I forget what he was doing.
big birds storytime: the orignal picture was the scene from the song Imagine That where ernie is a knight, riding a horse and encountering a dragon. I have seen part of the cover for the re-release (the only time i saw the re-release cover was when i saw a picture of the cover of the three-pack featuring this, which showed big bird, but i don't know much beyond that).
sing along: the original cover had ernie, bert (holding a songbook) and betty lou. the re-release just has ernie and bert holding a songbook and singing (the second cover is probably better, since betty lou wasn't in the video).
count it higher: great music videos from sesame street: the orignal cover had the count in the room he was in on the video. the re-release ha the count, ernie and big bird, and they are in front of a plain purple background.
rock & roll: the original cover had chris and the alphabeats. the re-release has the count dressed like elvis presly.
elmos sing-along guessing game; the original cover had elmo in front of a curtain holding a microphone. the re-release has elmo wearing a gold suit.
we all sing together: the original cover had herry monster and elmo surrounded by kids. the re-release has elmo and telly with two kids.
a new baby in my house: the picture has elmo with prince firstly and his family (i think they were in a thought balloon). the re-release has snuffy and alice on the cover.
big bird in china: the original cover had big bird, barkly and the little girl on the great wall of china. the re-release has big bird in front of a china backdrop.
big bird in japan: I can't explain them seperately, but i know they are different, and they both have big bird in front of a japan backdround.
christmas eve on sesame street: the orignal cover had big bird sitting on the roof. the re-release cover has big bird, oscar and cookie monster.
put down the duckie: both covers have ernie, but i can't remember what the original cover looks like.
sesame street celebrates around the world: the original cover had elmo and grover. the re-release has elmo, grover and cookie monster behind a globe.

were any of the following videos even re-released: i'm glad i'm me, getting ready for school, the alphabet game (could this be the same as all-star alphabet?), learning to add and subtract (i know it's coming to DVD), big birds favorite party games, esame street home video visits the hospital, sesame street home video visits the firehouse, or sing-along earth songs?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
sesame street celebrates around the world: the original cover had elmo and grover. the re-release has elmo, grover and cookie monster behind a globe.
I just realized that I was wrong about this. it is the other way around.