Speculation: Sesame Street 45th Anniversary Possibilities

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
It would also be nice if Sesame Street would show the full Hurricane episodes from 2001 and the edits from 2004 and 2005.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I thought of another arrangement of what I'd do for a 45th anniversary DVD collection. I thought perhaps it could include a selection of all the signature songs of the main characters (Rubber Duckie, C is for Cookie, The Song of the Count, etc.) and a few essential songs most associated with the show (Sing, The People in Your Neighborhood, What's the Name of That Song?, etc.), then a selection of segments I feel are the most essential that haven't been released on video, not counting digital releases (segments such as "Kermit and Grover: Earmuff Salesman", "Grover serves a burger", "Monsterpiece Theater: One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest", "James Earl Jones: Alphabet", the original "Everybody's Song", "Bert and Ernie: Fish in Cowboy Hat", etc.), then a selection of my own personal favorites (that I don't think of as "essential") that haven't been released on video (such as "Prairie Dawn Adds Monsters", "I Want to Hold Your Ear", "Guy Smiley Air Song", "Super K Cereal", etc.), a selection of rarities, both ones that are sought after by many of us (the "crack in the wall" cartoon, the "Surprise" song sung by the cast, "Miami Mice" with The Countetc.) and stuff I really want to see ("We Coulda", "I'm Square", etc.), and finally a selection of the best segments from seasons 40-present (basically a continuation of where the 40th anniversary DVD left off), including "What I Am", "I Love My Hair", "Spider-Monster", "Upside-Downtown Abbey", and "The Sesame Street Alphabet".

Having a section of signature songs would mean a lot of repeats, but many of the signature songs have had multiple versions, including at least one that hasn't been released on DVD. Just because it's a selection of signature songs doesn't mean it has to be the best-known versions. And there are some signature songs that haven't had any video releases (like Snuffy's "Nobody" or Grover's "Proud of Me"). In separating unreleased "essentials" and "personal favorites" I'd have to really think about what I consider essential and not just if it's a favorite of mine, not call something essential just because it's the best of one of my favorite minor characters, maybe even overlook calling it essential just because it has a lot of main characters or many old school characters (I'm trying to determine if "Mystery Guest" should be considered essential or just a personal favorite). If I was in charge of an official anniversary DVD and could include a selection of my own personal favorites, it'd probably be the section of segments many fans would think of as random choices (the 40th anniversary set has a good number of segments I consider random, whether previously released or not, in addition to many true classics and rarities).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now I'm thinking it would be great if Sesame Workshop would celebrate the anniversary with a special "classics collection" of DVDs, I'm thinking put out one every other month (which would give us six in one year), alternating each month with the releases of DVDs aimed at the shows current audience. And I've thought of all different kinds of releases.

For example, such a collection could include a 45th anniversary release (though that likely wouldn't be limited to the early years), the next Old School volume, a "Complete Monsterpiece Theater" collection, a set on the best animated inserts, a collection of the best of the main characters and old school supporting characters, Heck, it'd be great if they could do a "Sesame Street Video Favorites" collection, featuring as many out-of-print videos as possible (as I was thinking about it. I think it would be possible to include all of the out-of-print videos - not counting InterActivision or storybook video releases - on a two-disc three-hours-each set - disc 1 could have Getting Ready to Read, I'm Glad I'm Me, Getting Ready for School, Learning to Add and Subtract, The Alphabet Game, and The Best of Ernie and Bert, and disc 2 could have Big Bird's Favorite Party Games, the two "Sesame Street Home Video Visits..." videos, Sing-Along Earth Songs, A New Baby in My House, and The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street... though that would still leave William Wegman's Mother Goose off DVD).

Or maybe a two-disc set of some of the best-known specials, like Big Bird in China, Big Bird in Japan, Don't Eat the Pictures (though another company has the video rights to that one for some reason), and Put Down the Duckie (maybe have it restored to its original "Sesame Street, Special" form and include the pre-pledge break sequence, and maybe the H. Ross Parrot segment that was added to later rebroadcasts as a bonus feature).

Or there could be a collection of classic DVDs based on subjects, like "Classic Alphabet", "Classic Counting", "Classic Emotions", "Classic Characters", "Classic Songs", "Classic Animation".

Another great possibility would be a collection of "Classic Character Collection" videos, spotlighting the best (and some rarities) of classic characters. If there was a "once every two months" thing going on (please realize I am just fantasizing about a "every other month" rule, nothing desired in this post is officially being considered as far as I know), they could put out collections spotlighting the best classic moments of Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, The Count (who hasn't had a spotlight video yet), Grover, Cookie Monster, and Oscar (who also hasn't had a spotlight video yet). Of course although I'd prefer they just focus on the classic era, it might be good to include some post-classic stuff. After all, there have been a lot of really great segments with Grover and Cookie Monster in the past few years. Though not likely, it'd be great if they'd put out spotlight collections for some characters who are barely on the show anymore (if at all), like Roosevelt Franklin (I wonder if a complete collection of all his starring inserts could fit on one disc), Guy Smiley, Biff and Sully, Sherlock Hemlock, Forgetful Jones, not to mention Herry Monster and Prairie Dawn. In fact I'd like to see some kind of character spotlight video next year, regardless of whether that character was around during the "classic years" or if it's somebody who's already had a spotlight video or two. I think there's enough great Abby Cadabby segments for a video.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, we deserve another line of Pez. Rerelease the first batch and add Oscar, The Count, and Abby to the line up.

As a complete Pez Head, I'd love to see that happen.... but of course it won't.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Since this thread is the closest we have to a Season 45 discussion, look what we have here: http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/e/ef/Roscoefbroosevelt45.png

I know that Matt Vogel pointed out that "some big fun" in store for Season 45, but this is ridiculous!

Then again, this could probably just be a promo shot, just like with that photo of Paul Rudd performing Roosevelt Franklin.

cjd874

Reaction score
I would love to see really old characters (e.g. Forgetful Jones, Don Music, & Roosevelt Franklin as mentioned two posts ago) return, perhaps in recurring cameos or a 45th anniversary special. They should also release more merchandise such as books, toys, games, housewares, linens, and a nice DVD set with more clips/archival footage. Some clips that I'd like to see (Muppet segments only):
  • Muppet boy shows forward & backwards (English version)
  • Good Morning Starshine w/Bob
  • Ernie & Bert: Mysterious Nose-Snatcher
  • Ernie & Lefty: Empty Box
  • Oscar & Grover say the alphabet
  • Surprise (either Little Jerry's version or the ultra-rare cast version)
  • X Marks the Spot w/ Sherlock Hemlock
  • E&B: Licorice Sticks
  • Ernie & Bert: H TV
  • The Count & Cookie cooperate
  • Cookie Shares with a sad girl
  • "I Can't Help It"
  • Harvey Kneeslapper montage: all skits
  • Grover & Kermit: Heavy & Light
  • Salesman Grover: Sunglasses
  • "You're Alive" w/ Chrissy and the Alphabeats
  • Don Music rewrites the SS theme
  • Home Run on the Range w/ Forgetful Jones
  • Kermit's T-shirt Mix-up
  • Bert sings "I Gotta Be Clean"
  • "That's Love" Pageant
  • Roosevelt Franklin: Doghouse Lesson
  • Sinister Sam: Marshall Earp's Birthday
  • Nobel Price: Kermit clone
  • Biff sings "This is my J"
  • Bip Bippadotta's Opposite Song
  • Monsterpiece Theater: 1 Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • Monty's Flying Circles
  • Telly's Lunch
  • the legen-------DARY Happy Caps bit

FunnyBear

Reaction score
Which makes the digital-only albums pointless, since only a handful of previously-unreleased songs are included in any of those.
But, with the digital albums, do you mean the collections or the mp3 albums of the old LPs

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well something that might be more cost effective for the Workshop, and customers, would be a DVD, that showcased a Muppet Something like 45 Years of Big Bird, or 45 years of Ernie and Bert. Now granted a lot of the Muppets did not start out on the first season. but what they could do is just take the year that they first arrived on the street and go from there.