Spider-Man

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Spiderman

Spectacular! Okay, it won't make my top ten and there were some uneven moments, but it easily exceeded my expectations. And many of you MC old-timers know how picky the old frogboy can be. :smile:

Toby Maguire gave an amazingly nuanced and shaded performance while skillfully walking the line between dark hero and camp. We already have that in Batman, Spidey is different. The effects were flawless. I feel those who have criticized them have done so because Spiderman does things that we know aren't humanly possible. But, hey - he's super-human. I guess some people just missed the first half of the film explaining that point.

The Green Goblin was a little disappointing. I wish some of Dafoe's face had been visible through the mask. It was a poor decision, but his performance was superb nonetheless.

The final scene was a little over-the-top at first, but became much more dramatic as it progressed away from the theatrics.

The film could have been trimmed down a few minutes, but it still zipped along without any slow sections. Sam Raimi could have easily diredted the film as a throwback to all of the ones that came before it, but Spiderman has etched out his own slot in cinema history. I'll definitely see the next one and buy the special edition DVD.

A-

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Ill admit this, I have never watched a Whole Episode of any Cartoon like X-Men, Spider-Man, BatMan etc...
They just dont entertain me !

But i watched the Whole Spider-Man movie and it was great, Except for the Green Goblins face !

Dont his mouth or face move in the Cartoon ?!

I thought that they could have made it so much more better, If his face could show expressions and his mouth could actually move when he talks.
Its like watching bad puppetry !

But i did like it , other than that !

See ya

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. The Green Goblin mask should have broken at the jawline so you could see his mouth at the very least. I saw a version of the Green Goblin that looked nothing like that - and much scarier too. But that's my only real complaint for the otherwise great film. No slow parts - rare these days!

Drum Eater

Reaction score
It's interesting to look back on this thread two years later with the release of Spider-Man 2. The Spider-Man phenomenon has only grown since the first film was released, and I would have to say the second one is better than the first! Much more involved and well-done. But the first film was good, so that's saying a lot.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Spider-Man 2 was completely awesome! They even set up the ending to blend into Spider-Man 3! Here's some movie stills, including the artwork seen in the beginning of the movie as a recap (by Alex Ross):

http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Spider-Man/Spider-Man_2/Movie_Stills&img=

These movies are very well done, and are extremely awesome...and I hope they don't fall into disarray like the Batman films did. I've a new respect for Spider-Man and the actors in the film and love how this movie also develops all the characters' personalities!

I'll be seeing it again, too!