1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Spierigs OFF POTDC

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by JMPrater, Apr 19, 2011.

1. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

Looks like it based on Varietys report of the Spierig Brothers new film Jungle.....The Henson people can't get this film made to save their lives.
  2. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Yes, I know, Froud also said they will get a new director.
    BTW I think Zack Snyder would be an amazing (visual) director for DC2.
  3. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Zack Snyder is going to be busy with the new "Superman: Man of Steel" movie for a while... (which I can't say I'm terribly excited about- but I'm hoping it will be better than what it's been sounding like so far)
  4. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

*SNARL! GRRR! Grumble, grumble!*

Okay, raging over.

Personally, I think Guillermo del Toro would be a good director for this project. Never happen in a million years, but it's fun to speculate. :search:
  5. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that seems up his alley. I remember some people wondering about him and Labyrinth, but DC could be a better match. :)
  6. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

I know why you prefer Del Toro. He used great animatronic creatures in his movies. Other than that Im not a huge fan of his movies.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

There's nothing I don't like about Del Toro, but he's not quite the right fit for the Dark Crystal. His distinct stamp would likely eclipse the beauty already present.

I love the Henson Company and the work they do, but I'll no longer hold merit to their press releases until the art hits the screen. That way it will be a pleasant surprise rather than a disappointment. :p
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They can't seem to get a single project up and running, can they? I mean their biggest hit is a Singapore based animated CGI series with Canadian voice actors and the only Henson thing about it is the creator works for them now. Sid seems like it did pretty good (at least it's digital puppetry and it employed Henson's usual puppeteers), but in no way the success Dino Train has.

Seriously... even if we never get the Fraggle Rock movie, there's NO excuse to withhold the CGI Doozers cartoon series.

Henson bites off far more than they can chew. They have mile long lists of projects that are unfinished or unsold or half done. If they just focus all their energy on ONE thing at a time, maybe... just MAYBE one of these things will get made. Yeah, FR the movie is beyond their control, and they have a poisonous relationship with a studio struggling to stay in business, but Happytime Murders Film? What's the hold up there?
  9. Daffney

Daffney New Member

Henson is making Power of the Dark Crystal an ambitious project, and too much of one.

Now, this is the second time we had a director fallout (Personally, I didn't think the Spierigs brothers could pull the sequel off anyways). Judging by this, and the ridiculously slow status, I don't expect POTDC coming out anytime soon.

I think Henson just flat out abandoned that project, seeing that its January production start date didn't happen.
  10. Drtooth

Happytime Murders is the EXACT movie they SHOULD be working on. Something low key, something that they can get as much indie support as possible... something that will no doubt have simplistic puppets that they could even recycle... something that won't be expensive and get lost in the shuffle of a major movie season. Just something to say "WE EXIST!" in big bold letters without saying, we have yet another big project we need to get 90 studios on board to co-produce. That's why the Fraggle Movie's dead in the water... even if Weinstoopit were to give them the okay, they still need several partners to get in on it.

Seriously... ONE thing at a time. Dinotrain is amazing, but it shouldn't be their staple franchise.
  11. fozziecub10

fozziecub10 New Member

when did the Spierig brothers leave the project?
  12. Daffney

Daffney New Member

Early in April.
  13. fozziecub10

fozziecub10 New Member

aaarrrggg:(

wish i could afford to help them with their script lol:scary:
  14. ryan19

ryan19 Member

Hello all , is there any news on Power of the dark crystal ? any info would mean alot , thanks .
  15. fozziecub10

fozziecub10 New Member

16. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

I am simply SHOCKED at the standstill this film continues to be at. I barely even care enough to write here anymore. What the heck is going on at OmniLab or Henson?
  17. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Somebody, quick, ring the bells, the heart's freezing over!
  18. Drtooth

I'm shocked that anyone's shocked that Henson can't get a single project off the ground. They NEED a leader desperately, and they need a partnership with a big enough film production company so that they can actually make the stuff they plan on making.

Seriously... with three films in constant standstill production, I still don't see why the cheapest, easiest option (Happytime Murders) doesn't get all the focus and attention. if nothing else SOMETHING would be done.
  19. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

The Jim Henson Company is probably the biggest joke in the business these days. The only reason why The Muppet Movie was made is because die hard fans with major star power decided to produce their own movie. Henson on their own would have NEVER been able to get a film of that scale off the ground by themselves.

Power of the Dark Crystal is dead in the water, and they just won't come out and say it. I'm curious if the Spierig Brothers have spoken about their departure, the hows and the whys, etc... At this point, I'm just entertained at Hensons blatant incompetency.
  20. Drtooth

AND Disney. Disney has Disney money! Something tells me Disney wanted to make a Major Muppet project, but it was Jason Segal and the rest who twisted their arms to make their own script. So, star power producing, star power production company.

Henson isn't so much a joke as much as they don't have the money, power and vision to get anything off the ground themselves, and NO ONE wants to partner up with them. Look at Fraggle Rock the movie. That's not being made just because of Henson, that's not being made because of Weinstine. And I needn't have to repeat that they are POORLY managed, sat on the script, needed to find an additional partner, and basically wanted to throw the original writer/director under a bus to make the film more edgy.

Then Hoodwinked 2 came out... a film they kicked off the same writer and director, a film they hired outside people to screw around with the script, then they sat on it a year after it was completed, a law suit by the film's animation studio and half production company took place to get it released, and it was dumped in the middle of April when no one wanted to see it.

Would you want to business partner with anyone that thinks that's a good idea?

Again, if Henson wants to get a film off the ground, FR or DC are NOT good choices. Why? They're too expansive. There's too much, the projects are both too vast and ambitious, and will definitely need the money to go with the huge sizes. They have a perfectly good low budget potential cult film that could get them noticed, and even that's on the back burner. Heck, a Puppet up style sketch movie that plays just at the same art theaters that play Spike and Mike would clean up in college towns.