Spring Forward: A Dinosaurs' Tale

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I don't know why there aren't more people commenting on this. It's a really great story.

If the Jim Henson Company ever did actually make a 'Dinosaurs' movie this would be a great way to do it.

Can't wait for more!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I agree that perhaps it's best to do a movie in the modern world, and God knows if it's in the Muppetverse, there are a million ways to get them there. I like the idea that they're in the modern world and it's based on two instances: one was some sort of commercial bumper where Earl and Robbie were griping that all the shows on TGIF were about humans and the other was the breaking of the 4th wall at the end of A New Leaf. Like how the Muppets occasionally break the 4th wall and reveal they know it's a show or movie and, sometimes, that they're puppets, Dinosaurs let slip a couple of times that the show was just a show.

Considering the property is one of those Henson-Disney things, I'd imagine it wouldn't suffer the same financial issues that, say, Labryinth, Dark Crystal, FR or other Henson-only properties suffer from. I think this is completely doable, though I can imagine Disney would want to focus on the Muppets first, but this is taking place in the Muppetverse, so maybe there'd still be a chance. If only those two companies would accept submissions. Mine would be in there in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I'm used to the low participation. I've learned that if Kermit and Piggy or certain SST characters aren't the headliners in the story, you can forget regular reviews.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
[The scene cuts to a modern cable-newsroom set, with humans, Muppet humanoids, and other Muppet creatures busily attending computers or monitors in the background. Dramatic music plays. The camera cuts to a less busy background. The dramatic music opening stops just as a golden Muppet humanoid with slicked down brown hair and black-rimmed glasses rushes into view from screen right.]

Muppet Newsman (taps paper on a desk in front of him): This is a Muppet News Flash! Six months ago the state of Oregon was surprised to find dinosaurs walking around Crater Lake National Park.

[The scene cuts to Man 1 from the campsite, as he stands in front of a mall in a close-up.]

Man 1: That was the most awesome thing ever. I mean, I really didn’t expect them to talk and stuff, right? This was even better than that dream sequence in that third dinosaur movie where the velociraptor actually spoke and this so totally broke even that mega-awesome awesomeness barrier. It’ll be really hard to top, man. I’m so stoked I can’t even think straight. *grins* They even trashed my tent! I’m debating whether to keep it displayed in my apartment or sell it on eBay.

[The camera cuts to the Muppet woman from the campsite, as she sits on a couch.]

Muppet woman 1: I mean, yeah, it’s weird to see a bunch of extinct species show up, but I mean, really? One of the most famous Hollywood divas is a talking pig. How shocked do you expect me to be?

[The camera cuts to the Sinclair living room seen near the beginning of the movie. It recalls a commercial bumper on ABC, with Earl and Robbie eating chips and watching television.]

Robbie: You know, I think there’s more diversity in species now than there was when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

Earl (shrugs): Are they even real? I mean, they look made out of foam. It has to be a shameless grab for ratings. *sighs* I miss “real” news programs. At least Howard kept dinosaurs well-informed and didn’t confuse entertainment with facts. *points at the television* This guy? He gives random news soundbites and then gets assaulted by offscreen staff members. And humans laugh at this stuff!

Robbie (chuckles): Because it’s so different from watching hours of Totally Hidden Predator, right, Dad?

Earl (glances at Robbie): That’s totally different! That wasn’t news – that was reality television! Reality television isn’t about facts. It’s about manipulating viewer emotions to keep them from jumping in front of heavy traffic.

[The camera cuts back to the Muppet Newsman. There is a runner at the bottom of the screen with the following text going from right to left: Politicians are involved in scandal. This is not news. Stay tuned for information about giving this Muppet anchor a real name. We thought the series finale was depressing too.]

Muppet Newsman (adjusts glasses): In related news, the state of Oregon has been petitioned to allow the dinosaurs to live in Crater Lake National Park, as it is similar to their natural habitat. The state legislature has been debating the issue for several weeks now. This was the scene earlier today.

[A high shot of the Oregon state legislature appears. The camera cuts to a closer shot of a panel of human legislators interviewing B. P. Richfield. The camera then cuts to Earl, who chokes on his chips. The camera cuts again to the legislators.]

Legislator 1: What are your thoughts about the deaths of two human park rangers?

Richfield (shocked): I would just like to say that I am appalled that law enforcement officers were taken down in the prime of their lives! I submit, humbly and contritely, that dinosaurs and mammals work together to prevent further unfortunate incidents. We dinosaurs were ruthlessly torn from everything we held dear and placed in a world we don’t understand. I can only hope that we can engage in close communication with the legislature to provide a mutual set of agreements to benefit both of our societies.

Legislator 2 (nods): That is our wish as well. I think you’ll find the American government has a long history of promoting peace and understanding.

Richfield (smiles): And may fate continue such laudable work.

[The camera cuts to Robbie as he stands up.]

Robbie: I think I’m going to puke.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Uh-oh!

Methinks Richfield has something sinister up his sleeve.

Nice cameo from the Newsman, too.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, everyone wants to make a new life for themselves. :big_grin:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
[Fade transition to the Sinclair kitchen, where Robbie is following Earl to the kitchen island.]

Robbie (places his hand on the island): Wow – to think someone as greedy and heartless as Richfield survived. So, I guess that’s the company who hired you, Dad?

Earl (clearly distraught, desperately exploring the interior of the refrigerator): No, Mr. Know-It-All! It’s a human-run construction company! Wesayso died out with the dinosaurs! *catches himself* Uh, I mean – Wesayso is just a fine print footnote in the biography of my past. *chuckles* Why submit to a bunch of nightmares that I’ll never escape such a thoughtless, uncaring corporation?

Robbie (stares at his father): Uh, are you okay?

Earl (still distraught as he takes out a beer and bucket of chicken, failing to sound confident): Oh, just peachy! *sits down at the table* Nothing could make me happier to know fate has decided to keep stabbing me in the back for as long as I live! *chomps down hard on some chicken, somewhat calmer* You know – we used to hurl our relatives off a cliff when they turned 72. *glances at Robbie, irritated* And yet, as I recall, you argued that life was all-important, and we should value each and every single day of it. *pauses* Remind me again how my quality of life is worth saving?

Robbie (sighs, sits at the table): Dad, so he’s alive. So what?

Earl: You clearly have no imagination, son. Now go away. My food’s getting stale and I’m due at the site in an hour. *chomps with a smile* I wouldn’t touch construction with a ten foot pole if it weren’t for the fact that carrying some 2 by 4’s is a breeze compared to tree pushing – and I’m making six times my old monthly salary.

Robbie (smirks): And you thought we’d never fit in.

Earl (shrugs): Modern humans are basically just like us – they work, they grab a beer at lunch, and go home. And even better, the foremen aren’t allowed to eat their workers!

Robbie: So, you agree with me an’ Mom that civilization has evolved for the better?

Earl (stops eating): The only complaint I have is that my son still pesters me when I’m trying to eat! It’s bad enough I have to live in a world where everyone eats the equivalent of a bowl of soup compared to the mastadons I sunk my teeth into before! *glares at Robbie, his voice getting louder* It makes me wanna just sink my teeth into the closest breathing thing next to me!

Robbie (slaps the table): Oh, look, I think that’s the mail! I think I’ll go get it and see if Oregon State responded to my application. *gets up and leaves the room*

Earl (shakes his head): Sheesh. *The phone rings and Earl throws down his food.* Of course! *gets up, walks over to the phone on the wall, and answers* This is the Sinclair residence, now whaddya want?

Richfield’s voice: Sinclair!

Earl (shrieks and nearly drops the phone): M-M-M-M-Mr. Richfield!

[The camera cuts to a large office filled with law books and a large computer on a sturdy cherry desk. Richfield sits behind it dressed in his usual attire.]

Richfield: Stop sniveling! As the new dinosaur-human liaison, it’s up to me to determine just how many of us there are left. I expect your family survived?

Earl (shifting his weight uncomfortably): Well, yes.

Richfield: And how many were there again?

Earl (tapping his fingers on the side of his head): Uh, five and a third, sir.

Richfield: A third?

Earl (smiles): There’s just the five of us – and the mother-in-law, sir.

Richfield (grins, nodding knowingly): Ah.

Earl (gets smacked from behind with Ethyl’s cane, yells out)

Ethyl (drives past him in the wheelchair): The only reason you don’t count as a full baker’s dozen is they don’t count by the pound, Fat Boy. *leaves*

Earl (rubs his back tenderly, to Richfield): I’m not gonna have to work for you again, am I, sir?

Richfield (shakes his head): You were an employee of the Wesayso corporation, which sadly has folded under the extreme economic conditions of planetary extinction. Thus, your contract is null and void. *pauses ominously, his voice quieting* I understand you’re in construction now. Looks like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree pusher.

Earl (timidly): They appreciate me there. I can do more than just push down trees. I know how to follow blueprints. I know how to use a hammer and nails. I’m getting along rather well with my coworkers. I even put in a good word for Sid and Gus. It’s what work should’ve been like, sir.

Richfield (taps fingers on his desk, letting it sink in): As liaison, it’s my job to ensure humans and dinosaurs integrate into the new status quo. Let me give you the real reason I’m calling: I’m warning you to not let down your guard in front of them.

Earl: Uh, why do you say that, sir?

Richfield (shrugs, his tone dark and measured): This “perfect harmony” stuff is just popcorn entertainment for the masses. Humans took over the top of the food chain and they’ll waste little time before reminding us of that fact. They think they’re so superior to us. They think we should be kowtowing before them, grateful just to be given the privilege of drawing in air.

Earl (shivers): Sir, with all due respect, it seems like every time I have a conversation with you, I end up being manipulated into doing something asinine and dangerous.

Richfield: It’s idealism that puts you and your family in danger, Sinclair. Idealism blinds folks to the dangers inherent in life. We must remain forever on our guard against those who wish to congratulate us in public and drop us off a cliff in private. Mark my words, Sinclair: the government was a thorn in our side when we ruled the Earth, and they haven’t changed much since. There’re less than ten-thousand of us left. Make sure that number doesn’t get any lower.

Earl (glances at a calendar on the wall): Right now, sir? Me an’ Fran personally like waiting until Thursday --.

Richfield (pounds his fist angrily on the desk, screaming): I mean don’t let them ruin us any more than they already have, you gutless sack of rotted meat! I wouldn’t feed you to my dog, you blubbering pile of pig swill! *slams the phone down hard*

[Earl slowly places the receiver back on the wall-mounted unit. A brief musical score of foreboding ends the scene.]

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I knew Richfield had something cooked up!

Quick question: Is this still taking place before the first part or is this after?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
This takes place after the initial scene before the "six months ago" flashback". From now on, it should be more or less straightforward in terms of time progression.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I'm sorry I let it get this far without commenting!
:busy: Anyway, it's amazing! Love how you included everyone! Robbie's right though, where's the poetic justice when Richfield can survive? lol I don't think we'll ever see the dinosaurs bunch and Kermit and co interacting, somehow I just can't picture it. I do enjoy seeing humans, (modern, sophisticated humans), and dinosaurs interact though.
:smile: