Squee!!! New puppet book purchases and some puppetry questions

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I just ordered The Foam Book with the dvds and George Latshaw's Complete Book of Puppetry. I can hardly wait to read them! What are you guys' thoughts on these books?

On a separate note, I've been helping baby-sit a friend's daughter, and am now getting into watching "It's a Big, Big World" with her. I gather that most of the smaller puppets are performed bunraku style. However, I was wondering about Snook, the sloth, and Madge, the Turtle. Are they also bunraku-style puppets or are they walk-arounds like Big Bird?

Thanks for your input!

Jason

wes

Reaction score
I haven't read George Latshaw's Complete Book of Puppetry, sounds good I'll have to look it up, But the foam book was ok, i think te major thaink i got from it was the information on the finger grips form the mouth. thats all i use now!

Teenager's

Reaction score
Snook is a walk-around.....I don't know how madge is done....that Shell throws me off!....so....they had some pretty Great designers/builders

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Yeah, they do have a pretty great design team. Thanks for answering!

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Latshaws' book is fantastic. It was originally released in the 1970's so some of it may seem outdated, but don't let tht bother you! I'm also a big fan of the Foam Book, I've meet Drew Alison, and he's a great guy! The book may be tough to get into if this is your very first foray into building, but as you learn it's one of those books you'll always refer back to!

CPR PUPPET

Reaction score
I liked the foam book and my wife bought me the 3 piece foam head video. I learned so much from the video but beware. they make some things look simple and some of the REAL tricks arent completely explained. I pause it alot and stare at it to get it. It was worth every penny.