SS books---are these 3 rare?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Welp, I went to muh hometown's "Peddler's Mall" today (a.k.a., "used-to-be-a-big-store-now-turned-into-an-indoor-flea-market"), and I found 3 SS books---that I'd never heard of before! :concern:

So, like, here's the scoop: (fer sure! :flirt: )

• "Big Bird Gets Lost" (1978) --- this is a scratch-and-sniff book, (and the S&S's still work!), where Big Bird goes lookin' for birdseed for his nest-warmin' party, and goes to all the wrong places
    [br]
  • "Vegetable Soup" (1980) --- Cookie Monster gets Bert 'n Ernie's groceries by mistake, and they show him how to make Veggie soup (it made me want some!)
    [br]
  • "A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch" (1981) --- Oscar shows his day (and that of other "streetsters"), hour by hour from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Interestingly, the latter 2 are official SS books, whilst the first one is "A Golden Scratch & Sniff book".

So has anyone else seen these? I always see the same ones, like the SS library volumes, and "The SS Pet Show", ones like 'at.

I love all 3 o' these, and so glad I found 'em. They're great for your SS book collection---thank goodness for rare finds! :big_grin:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I've never heard of these but they sound great. I used to have a few that unfortunately went by the wayside. I loved The Monster at the End of this Book - always lots of fun! We also had a book featuring Oscar dressing up and pretending to be a little girl who had just moved to Sesame Street, and one in which Bert mistakenly enters a drawing done by Ernie's cousin in an art contest in Ernie's name. The names of the last two books escape me right now, but I read them dozens of times. :smile:
Erin

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Cool, Erin...but hey, don't worry about losin' "The Monster at the End of This Book"---that one's a flea market/yard sale regular!

Really!

It is!

:smile:

Dave Thomer

Reaction score
I actually just bought a new copy of Monster at the End of This Book from Amazon. It's still in print, in a nice sturdy board-book format. My daughter isn't quite old enough to read it yet, but she likes turning the pages.

The one I want to track down at some point is Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Dave Thomer said:
I actually just bought a new copy of Monster at the End of This Book from Amazon. It's still in print, in a nice sturdy board-book format. My daughter isn't quite old enough to read it yet, but she likes turning the pages.

The one I want to track down at some point is Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum.
I have:
Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum book features cool graphics :wink:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Cool, Erin...but hey, don't worry about losin' "The Monster at the End of This Book"---that one's a flea market/yard sale regular!

Really!

It is!

:smile:
:big_grin: Gotta keep my eyes peeled! I know it seems to be one that a lot of people are familiar with.
Erin

gbrobeck

Reaction score
"Big Bird Gets Lost" is a fairly common book, but certainly not in a scratch and sniff format. I had a copy of "Vegetable Soup" as a kid, and it came with a read-along cassette.

Greg

CherryPizza

Reaction score
A Monster At The End Of This Book is the biggest-selling SS book ever, and is forever in print.

I remember another SS scratch 'n' sniff book called See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Smell No Evil, but I have no memory of its content other than the s'n's stickers in it.

One ultra-rare book I remember having (since it was a personalised book) was the Great Sesame Street ABC Hunt. You may have come across it at some point in your life; it's one of those books that you could order and have your kid's name included in the text.

The storyline, Big Bird says that he has brought his friend (in this case, it was my brother Matthew) along the play the ABC hunt, and asks Mr Hooper if he wants to play too. Hoops says he's too busy, but will supply the prize...

Big Bird and Snuffy hunt around the street for something that starts with each letter of the alphabet... Snuffy finds a lot of things, Big Bird names something for each letter to do with his "friend" (i.e. A... he has an address {insert address of person for whom the book is written} F... he has a family {insert names of family members}).

At the end of the book, Mr Hooper presents the "Big Bird and Matthew ice cream sundae" (named after the champion ABC hunters), and Big Bird tells the other grown ups to see all the great stuff Mr Snuffleupagus found. Of course, they go out and Snuffy has cleared off, tell Big Bird off for playing "that silly Snuffleupagus game again", and Big Bird looks ahead and asks "YOU saw Mr Snuffleupagus, didn't you Matthew?"

Man, why didn't they wait a few years and give that book to the one who'd have the life-long passion for Sesame Street?

Erine81981

Reaction score
I like the squal to "Monster at the end of this book" but I think if they would have grover remember what happened in the other book but he doesn't even say anything refering to the other monster book. I thought if he would have it would of been a bit better.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I like the squal to "Monster at the end of this book" but I think if they would have grover remember what happened in the other book but he doesn't even say anything refering to the other monster book. I thought if he would have it would of been a bit better.
I have read the sequel too. I guess Grover is just very absent-minded! :stick_out_tongue:
Erin