SS Running Time?

CookieFan

Reaction score
What's the actual running time of your average SS episode? I was just wondering, because the eps on Noggin are only running 45 minutes -- and that's with the opening segment and closing credits! So I'm guessing they cut out a segment or two.

Also, I noticed during "Pledge Week" they cut out a segment or two during the regular PBS broadcast. (well, at least one of the local affiliates did)

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
The PBS broadcasts ran 56-58 minutes. Noggin's run 52-54 minutes. So, yes, they are edited, though I don't know WHAT'S edited from them.

Actually, I do know some of the things edited from a couple episodes (noticeable edits):

In #1, the "follow the leader" film removed the "over" and "through" sections; only the "around" part is shown;

In the fourth 1969 episode in the rotation (sometimes referred to as "Oscar bakes a cake"), one of the "Baker" segments has had the entire main section removed (the counting up/counting down part at the beginning is all that remains).

But that's not what you were asking about, is it?

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, if you look at some of the very early Unpaved episodes, you will see that sometimes, they have the same sketches repeated IN the same show like 2 or 3 times.

And with Pledge Week, I have noticed they do that. It's usually the bigger PBS stations that do it. For example, I live outside of Boston, and on our cable system, we get 4 PBS stations. We get WGBH, which I think you all know about, and they always do the edited pledge versions of shows. But we also get New Hampshire Public Television (NHPTV). They have started to do that now, but they didn't used to. I think they have expanded a little bit. And there's also Rhode Island PBS (They just changed their name from "Channel 36" to "Rhode Island PBS"). They never do pledging during the kids shows. They are a very small PBS station, and the smaller PBS stations tend not to do pledge drives, at least not around children's programming.

If you look at the newest episodes that Noggin has from Season 31, they are often editing out the older clips on purpose, because they don't like them, they're too old-fashioned. Noggin is really not doing much with Sesame Street anymore. They're still airing it, but not very much, and they're not advertising it anywhere.