SST 25th Anniversary Special: Stars and Street Forever

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In case you don't know, this week tough pigs has reviewed all of the Sesame Street anniversary specials, including Sesame Street's All-STar 25th Birthday: Stars and Streets Forever. This one does seem to be a bit rare compared to the others. It's never been released on video or DVD (and neither have the 10th or 20th anniversary specials), and aside from the alphabet montage sequence nobody has uploaded it on youtube. I recall years ago reading on the tough pigs message board that Danny Horn couldn't remember if he'd known about it or not... and this special came out when Muppetzine was being published. And I recall afterwards Danny asking about the special on that special's talk page. And from my memory I don't think I knew about that special until I saw a commercial for it on the day before it's broadcast... Makes me wonder how well-advertised it was (before you ask, I don't know what I mean by "well-advertised").

It's a shame that it never had an official release. I don't know if it's because it's a 25th anniversary special, but then again, the other 25th anniversary special is still available after all these years. Though I wonder if the anniversary numbers were left out of the titles of later anniversary specials for the sake of video and DVD releases. Heck, if Sesame Workshop doesn't want to release it because the anniversary is in the title then they could just leave out the "All-Star 25th Birthday" part of the title... It's not like Sesame Workshop hasn't released past specials under alternate titles. Maybe it's lack of a commercial release has to do with the various guest stars featured, in both new footage and old inserts (this special seems to have more guest star clip focus than other anniversary specials).

I recorded the special during it's original broadcast, but the tape ran out halfway through the "Worm TV" music clip montage. I thought that I remembered every clip that followed the Rubber Duckie clip (Do De Rubber Duck, Elmo and the Lavendar Moon, I Don't Want to Live on the Moon with Aaron Neville, the celebrity version of A New Way to Walk, and the celebrity version of Monster in the Mirror), but then the Tough Pigs review mentioned that it contained the measuring song with Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates, which I don't remember (after watching it on youtube, it sort of looks familiar... Should due to me seeing that special, but I wodner if I was just subconciously getting memories back). And one thing I can't remember... After that montage, does the special have any other clips besides the alphabet montage? All post-music montage clips that I remembered on my own were in that montage (the Ernie statue tapping Ernie, Mr. Hooper saying "merry christmas", Oscar and Bruno being surprised, the train from Beat the Time...)?

In fact, my copy is missing a little bit of the beginning (my copy starts with a second of Barbara Walters). I'm not trading, but it would be nice if the whole special would be uploaded on Youtube, or just clips. I'd really like to see this specials version of Sing again. Maybe in the near future Sesame Workshop will include clips from it on sesamestreet.org (the site does have clips from Sesame Street specials, including Sesame Street Special, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays).