Statler and Waldorf Commentary Question

pattywack

Reaction score
Just a quick question. On the season 1 dvd when Statler and Waldorf say those funny things when they wait for you to click something to do, when was this film? Who were they performed by? They sound spot on!

muppet_dk

Reaction score
It was recorded for the season set, and they were performed by Steve and Dave

pattywack

Reaction score
Wow, really? I find that they sound just like Jim and Richard!

David French

Reaction score
Wow, really? I find that they sound just like Jim and Richard!
With no disrespect intended to either Steve Whitmire or Dave Goelz, they sound *nothing* like Jim Henson and Richard Hunt's versions.

pattywack

Reaction score
Fair enough! I really found on the dvd commentary they did, but other places I've heard them, Waldorf is ok but I find Statler is quite off.

dwmckim

Reaction score
It could be possible that the "other times" Statler sounded off may have been times Jerry Nelson was voicing him (he was the original performer to continue the character after Richard Hunt's death from the Muppet Christmas Carol to around It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas) Steve Whitmire started doing Statler soon after (and in fact one line in VMX was accidentally left unlooped by Nelson and could be considered Steve's "debut"). To me Whitmire sounds closer to Hunt's version than Nelson though Jerry actually was the very first person to play Statler in the Muppet Show pilot (Richard did the character in the show proper onwards).

I actually think Dave sounds quite like Jim's Waldorf (granted some times more than others) and think he was totally the right choice. There's always been some voices Dave does that sound very Jim-like some of them more gruff ones (like the lion from Slyvester Stallone's gladiator number) and his pig from the mountain climbing number in John Denver episode, and some of the higher pitched ones like Waldorf (i bet he would have done a good Newsman too) Traveling Matt also sounded very Jim-like and back in 1982 when i was around 10 and not quite as adept as voicespotting as i am now, i thought it WAS Jim playing him at first.