1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GonzoMan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Regarding Clifford, he just seemed like a character to me that was just made for the sake of giving Kevin a main character to work with in Muppet media.

Powerstars and BlakeConor14 like this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's . . . what I said a page ago. :p

3. LittleJerry92

Well.... So it is.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  4. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

ugh, the story of my life .

5. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

Mood.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  6. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

But at least there's still more to him than Lips...

7. LittleJerry92

I suppose.

8. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

You're right, though he (just like any other Muppet) has his fans (I'm a Gaffer fan myself, and I find she is extremely underrated).

muppetgem likes this.
  9. BobbyBenson64

BobbyBenson64 Active Member

I think if he had more time to develop as a character and not as a set piece Lips would've been much more appreciated. He did talk a couple times in the 2015 show though :coy:

He's kinda a Zoot clone now that I think about it. I dunno, he'll probably be at the Hollywood Bowl show peforming with EM. Lips just won't talk anymore but what else is new. :shifty:

muppetgem likes this.
  10. BobbyBenson64

BobbyBenson64 Active Member

Oh and because they said Pigs In Space will be happening at the Hollywood Bowl maybe we'll actually get a new show performer for Link.....or they'll just play one of those unreleased videos.

JT Yorke likes this.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The thing that was said was that Clifford did more with The Electric Mayhem than Lips did, even though Clifford was only part of the band once while Lips was with the band in one season of TMS, GMC, MFC, Muppets at Walt Disney World (even if just for the bands musical performance), an entire season of The Muppets, and other things, then it was pointed out that Clifford had more dialogue in that special than Lips ever did, which is probably true, but having more dialogue as part of the band and actually appearing with the band more often are different things.

I pretty much want every Muppet to be used as they can. In one of Steve Whitmire's blog posts, he mentioned that the person in charge of the Muppet Studios had a "no Muppet left behind" mentality. Of course there are some characters who would be harder than others to include on a regular basis, even in the background. Characters like Constantine, Kermit the Pig, most of the Moopets, The Talking House, Vendaface, the Mt. Rushmore Muppet.... Characters who either can't walk (that we know of) or who are too similar in appearance to a major character (which would be confusing to people unfamiliar with the characters if they were to spot them in a crowd scene).

What I was saying was that I wondered if Matt Vogel agreed to take over as Kermit before finding out the real reason for Whitmire's departure and decided to pass, which would result in finding a new performer (could Disney fire Vogel over a decision like this, after he initially agreed?).

At first when I heard Pigs in Space would be included, I expected it to be on a video screen, but now I'm thinking that it could possibly be done live. I never suspected that they would show unused web videos as part of the show.

Does the Hollywood Bowl use a video screen for shows?

12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. You may have hit the nail on the head, because that would 'splain why they have delayed the TOTW with Matt's :) for so long.

13. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

Or they want people to hear Kermit for the first time live at the hollywood bowl, so people might be interested and they sell more tickets?

pjtoadie likes this.
  14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

15. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

I would love to see a return of Johnny fiama and sal

16. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Don't count it, Bill said the puppets are deteriorated beyond repair and the possibility of Bill only performing Johnny if Brian came back to do Sal.

17. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Sal should be recast anyway since Brian isn't likely to perform with them again anytime soon. Either David or Peter would do him justice.

cahuenga and scooterfan360 like this.
  18. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Shame most people (here, anyway) never really thinks of the 'secondary' performers as good contenders for taking on characters.

Tyler Bunch would make a great Sal, for instance.

But then I have to ask myself, "what's difference does it make?" If they decide to recast a character, I'm sure the right person will be chosen.

19. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

If anyone even cares anymore, after some thought, I'm back at this stance on the whole debacle. Too many people have spoken out about Steve's behaviour and the last thing I want to do is become a blindsided, ignorant follower.

I'm still going to keep up with Pundit and all the rest of it, but I'm a natural skeptic who will require evidence to be swayed either way. That's pretty much all I have left to say on the subject.

Muppet Master and 1000 Eyes like this.
  20. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

I agree.

Speaking of Tyler Bunch, I also think he'd make a great Clifford.

Zappetman and BobbyBenson64 like this.