Steve Whitmire Lecture/Workshop at the Center for Puppetry Arts

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
I would so jump on this and make a trip if I could afford to right now, but I was just away in Vegas in November, and I have major expenses coming up in the new year including hopefully finding a place to live and moving out of my parents' house, my sister's wedding, etc.
Well, I don't have anything like that to worry about (for the moment..), but I've got school.. and I don't think anyone would go with me. That, and I don't think I have much money to spend other than what I have for college. And with the school I want to go to, I'm going to need every penny I've got (and more x.x)

spcglider

Reaction score
Romanafraggle (great name, BTW... Who fan here too)...

I have to say that it's no small event or me to do this one myself! I sent the notice to my wife just to say, "Look at this.. can you believe its only $40?". I NEVER expected her to say "So did you register yet?"

We aren't folks of much means. But my wife, who is the greatest person in the universe in my opinion, understands what this whole puppet obsession means to me and my mid-life crisis!

So she came to my work, registered me and got a plane ticket via the web. Of course, I have no idea where I'm going to end up staying for two nights in Atlanta... but that's secondary. I'll figure it out!

The overwhelming point is that THIS is an opportunity to take some instruction from a professional television puppeteer... and possibly THE most prominent one today. When I had the tremendous opportunity to talk with Steve on-set during the filming of last night's "Extreme Makeover" show, he was always amazingly engaged and friendly. The weather (contrary to what you might have seen in the show) was miserable for most of the time. It was cold and rainy every day that I can recall with only a few breaks of sun. Anyway, no matter what the weather was like, Steve was almost always there on set and talking with folks and being involved. I spent about 99% of my time simply standing around waiting to make the cannon prop do it's thing. But When Steve was not busy he was always willing to chat about puppets and such... even when he could have been MUCH more comfortable in the Muppet performer's coach where it was warm and dry.

This would classify him in my book as both a gentleman and a professional of the highest calibre. Traits shared (as far as I can tell) by all of the "Muppet Old Men" *.

-Gordon

P.S. Anybody know a cheap place to crash in Atlanta? LOL!

* "Muppet Old Men"- a term I am cooping from the term "Disney's Old Men"... the original core animators hired by Disney himself.

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Oh, wow! That's amazing! I would *love!* to meet him (and it's so cool to find a Doctor Who fan on a Muppet forum~) someday!

Oddly enough, Steve's got the same first name AND birthday as my dad (except the years are different.. my dad's a bit older), so I've always sort of felt something was really special about him.. this just proves it~ (Not to mention that most of his characters are my absolute favorites :smile: )

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Am I the only one going to this that has absolutely NO puppetry experience?

Im kinda nervous now....

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Also...

for anyone who hasnt found a place yet...

this is where we are staying...

it is in a nice part of Atlanta... only .2 miles from the museum... so you can walk to it...

and with AAA the lowest room is only $83.

There are lots for lower, but you have to be kinda careful in Atlanta... some seedy areas.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well if your a Muppet fan then i would not really worry about not having any puppet expririance. I think there will be a lot of people who will no little or nothing about it.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Also...

for anyone who hasnt found a place yet...

this is where we are staying...

it is in a nice part of Atlanta... only .2 miles from the museum... so you can walk to it...

and with AAA the lowest room is only $83.

There are lots for lower, but you have to be kinda careful in Atlanta... some seedy areas.

Haha luckily i live in the SCAD College Dorms right next to the center. Ahh can't wait till saturday !

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmm....... only like a 12 hour drive..... Im sooooo tempted right now

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
We are driving 5 hours each way... BTW... LOVE LOVE LOVE your signature.... Spadoinkle!

:big_grin: you have no idea how happy that makes me that you get where that is from :big_grin:

and I just checked again, its actually only a 8 hour drive from Little Rock, Ar.... hmmmm..... Oh Hubby! lol