Stop these depressing ads!

jonashbrooklyn

Reaction score
Am I the only one who is offended by seeing my beloved childhood characters abused in these obnoxious Pizza Hut ads? Aside from how annoying that "Bites Were Made for Poppin'" song is, doesn't anyone agree with me that Jim Henson would be really sad to see his creations exploited in this way? Please, someone out there, tell me you agree!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I'm not sure by what you mean by "they are being exploited"?

Timotheus

Reaction score
How is it exploitation? That's half of how Jim Henson got his career started was making commercials. (Wilkins' Tea, Wilkins' Coffee, LaChoy Chow Mein, Purina Dog Food...)

jonashbrooklyn

Reaction score
It's exploitation because...

Admittedly, "exploitation" is a strong word. But I think some strong words are called for. Sure these Pizza Hut Muppet incarnations look like the original characters, and almost sound like them, but (as a puppeteer myself) I hate to see Kermit and company reduced to a visual design and caricature voice, a coprorate property to be leased out to whatever sponsor is willing to pay, without holding the commercials to any standard of wit or imagination. Additionally, you can't compare this to Jim Henson's uses of his own creations in commercials while building his career and audience. Since then, the company has grown to a major corporate entity, and can afford to treat Kermit, Miss Piggy, Animal, etc. with the dignity they have earned over several decades in show business.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
While I did not agree with the Target connection that Kermit did for a short while for reasons that everybody knows by now. I have no problem with Muppets appearing in commercials in general. As for Kermit and Ford's new SUV hybrid Kermit has always been a bit of an environmentalist, remember the song "They're All Out There Munching Forests" from The Jim Henson Hour. So this cleaner car is right up his alley. As for Miss Piggy and Jessica Simpson advertising Pizza Hutt together, what could be better than pizza for a pig. Ooops sorry about that Jessica :wink:

F

furryredmonster

I think it is pretty cool that the muppets are in commercials. More people will grow on them.

F

furryredmonster

I think it is pretty cool that the muppets are in commercials. More people will grow on them.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
yeah, some muppets like Rowlf(who was made for purina dog food) where actually made for comercials

oznog

Reaction score
:concern:exploitation?!! are you crazy- we are talking about puppets here- characters of felt and plastic eyes with controlling hands up their backsides and a third party voice- they were made to be manipulated by someone else, or, dare I say, exploited. I personally love watching commercials and wish the muppets were in more of them. Perhaps you should be a puppet and let someone else pull your string!!:crazy::crazy: