Summer In The Theater

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yea for a happy chapter! I loved the chaos at the breakfast table and Kermit's so happy and it just makes me smile! Excellent writing Lisa!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
You can't wait to see the closing number, prawncracker? Yeah, me either, I can't wait to write it, I wonder what it'll be- I mean, what? :smile:
Thank you both for the compliments. And now-
<dancing around>
I just FINALLY finished writing the next chapter, and I really really really really really REALLY like- no, love how the next chapter ends, and I just can't wait to share it with you! SO! I get to go type it up and post it and it's going to take way longer than I can stand so I better hurry up and go do it and YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter twenty

“Thirty minutes to curtain! Thirty minutes to curtain!” Scooter raced around back stage, keeping a careful eye on his watch. “Thirty min- oh, twenty-nine minutes to curtain, everybody! Twenty nine minutes to curtain!”

Robin watched as his uncle paced in front of his desk. “Well Uncle Kermit,” Robin said, “Are you nervous or excited?”

Kermit paused a moment to think. “Yes,” he said. He started pacing again. “But I’ve done everything I can. Everything is all set, if something goes wrong we’ll deal with it, and until then there’s no reason for me to be nervous. Right?”

“Right,” Robin said.

“Wrong,” Kermit said. “I have to be nervous. It’s part of the job description.” Then he smiled at his nephew. “What about you, Robin? Nervous? Excited? Ready for your big song?”

“More than ready, Uncle Kermit!” Robin said. “I think I’ve been singing it in my sleep!”

“Well that would explain why I’ve been hearing it in my sleep,” Kermit said. He put a hand on Robin’s back. “You’ll do just great.”

“Thanks, Uncle Kermit,” Robin said.

“Oh, Kermie!” Miss Piggy sang out as she emerged from her dressing room. Her hair had been swept back, with her blonde curls hanging down and bouncing with her every step. Her light, summery dress seemed to swirl around her, and Kermit had to admit to himself that she looked beautiful.

“Yes, Miss Piggy?” he said as she approached.

“About the duet,” she said, “Moi was just thinking how wonderful it would be if vous had the other lead?”

Kermit scrunched up his face. “Don’t you think opening night is a little late to make that kind of change?” he said.

“Moi am sure vous could handle it,” Miss Piggy said sweetly.

“Piggy,” Kermit said, “Link is singing that part. I already have some acts, plus I’m hosting the show. And besides, Link would kill me if I took his only spotlight away now.”

Miss Piggy dropped her charm for a moment. “Then moi would kill him,” she almost growled.

“Great,” Kermit said. “Two dead, and nothing accomplished. Let’s just leave it how it is.”

She cranked the charm back up. “Kermie...”

“Piggy!” he snapped, “It’s opening night! We’ll leave it how it is!”

She glared at him for a moment before storming back to her dressing room and slamming the door.

Kermit shook his head and looked at his nephew, who was still sitting on the desk. “Robin?” he said.

“Yes, Uncle Kermit?” Robin said.

“If I can only teach you one thing,” Kermit said, “Don’t ever get involved with a lady pig.”

“I HEARD THAT!” Miss Piggy shouted from her dressing room.

Kermit scrunched up his face. “Sheesh...”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The audience started colleting their belongings, turning their cell phones back on, and slowly making their way out the theater. On the other side of the curtain, several weeks’ worth of nervous energy was finally coming out.

“We did it!” Fozzie shouted, throwing his hat up in the air as those around him let out shouts and cheers.

“Great job, everybody!” Kermit tried to say over the jamboree. “That was really terrific. Let’s do it again tomorrow night. Really, a great job, everyone...”

“Hey Kermit!” Gonzo pushed his way through the crowd. “Do you think they liked my act?”

“Well, they didn’t boo you off the stage,” Kermit said. “That’s probably a good sign.”

“I knew it!” Gonzo shouted. “They finally appreciate great art!”

Kermit watched him disappear back into the crowd. “How is eating a sunscreen soaked towel to the tune of Pretty Woman considered great art?” he wondered out loud. Then he made his way through the crowded stage, doling out praise to everyone.

The crowd slowly thinned out as they trickled off to the dressing rooms or whatever corner of the theater they were in charge of. Usually the post-show meeting was held after everyone else had left, but the usual attendees gathered around Kermit’s desk almost immediately.

“Great job tonight, guys,” Kermit said with a smile. “Uh, does anyone need anything for the rest of the week?”

“I don’t think so,” Rowlf said.

“We’re good,” Clifford said.

“Si, no problems,” Pepe said.

“All set,” Rizzo said.

“Looks like we’re okay, Boss,” Scooter said.

“Good,” Kermit said. “Pops, how’d we do on tickets?”

“Well, you won’t believe this,” Pops said, “but we had a full house tonight. Had to turn some folks away.”

“Hey Kermin,” Pepe said, “I can find a way around de fire codes and we can sell standing room only tickets. We could make more monies, okay!”

“Well, we can’t make people stand for the whole show,” Kermit said. “The fire codes are there for a reason, Pepe. Safety first.”

Gonzo happened to be walking by, talking to Camilla. “He just didn’t get it,” Gonzo was saying. “When I think of my acts, it’s safety last...”

Kermit shook his head and turned back to the meeting. “So, is everything on track for the cast party next week?”

“Yeah.”

“We’re good to go.”

“Si, si.”

“Oh yeah, perfect.”

“I would say so.”

“All set Boss.”

“Oh, good,” Kermit said. “In that case, let’s close up and get outta here.”

A tall man stood in the dark alley, leaning against the back wall of the Muppet Theater, looking up at the sky. He had brown hair, with a mustache and a beard, and brown eyes. “Hmm...” he said. He was waiting.

The door beside him opened, and a loud blur of voices exploded into the evening air as a huge mob of Muppets began to emerge. The mob was led by just one green frog. This was who the man wanted to see. He straightened himself and approached.

“Excuse me,” he said softly. “Kermit the Frog?”

Kermit looked up at the man. “That’s me,” he said. “How can I help you?”

The man took Kermit’s hand and shook it firmly. “You already have,” he said with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. “Lovely show tonight. Congratulations.”

“Oh, well... thank you,” Kermit said. He watched curiously as the man smiled and walked away.

“Who was that, Uncle Kermit?” Robin asked from somewhere in the crowd.

“I don’t know,” Kermit said, keeping his eyes on the man’s receding back. “Whoever he is, he looks really familiar.” They walked on, as more and more Muppets emerged from the theater.

But the familiar-looking man had not been the only one waiting for the Muppets to leave.

A dark figure of a person stood against the wall, completely unnoticed, waiting as a steady stream of Muppets poured out of the back door of the theater. Finally, Link Hogthrob came out, and no one followed. The figure slipped in through the open door and pressed itself up against the inside wall.

Link turned and looked inside. “Is anyone else in here?” he asked. There was no answer. “Okay then,” he said, and he closed the door.

The figure pulled a can of spray paint out of its deep pocket and walked forward with its all-knowing step.

Kermit slowed to a stop as he reached the corner. The light-haired man was standing instead of sitting tonight. He played his clarinet with passion, and his song was upbeat and catchy. Kermit tossed a couple quarters into the old baseball cap, and several other Muppets followed suit.

Zoot, however, had a different idea. He pulled out his saxophone, stood next to the light-haired man, and started to play along. The light-haired man was surprised but pleased with his sudden accompaniment. They each took a short solo, and then soared on together. Kermit realized he was tapping his foot.

Beauregard slid his harmonica out of his pocket, stood a little behind Zoot and the light-haired man, and played along. He fit into the melody so well that some of the Muppets didn’t even notice he had joined. But by this time, several of them had started to clap along.

Animal spotted a large, empty, plastic bucket a few feet away. He grabbed it, turned it upside down, took out his drumsticks, and started pounding out the beat. Fozzie was enjoying the song so much, he started to dance. Suddenly he realized Kermit was staring at him, and he slowed to a stop.

Kermit shrugged. “Why not?” he said, and they both danced.

Floyd smiled and pulled out his guitar, adding just the right touches. Rizzo could feel it, and started to scat along.

Soon just about all the Muppets were either dancing or making some sort of musical contribution. Some passers-by stopped to stare. Others walked faster. But the Muppets paid no attention to them. They were too busy singing, dancing, and playing into the night.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
*thinks* Light-haired man...clarinet... nah, can't be. Can it?

And tell that shadowy, no-good figure to put that can of spraypaint away and get his rotten tail OUT of the theatre!

-Kim

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Light-haired man with clarinet is not meant to be anyone in particular.

And, you see, I would love to tell The Figure to get out of the theater, but... well see, it's morning now. The Figure already left.

Oh, that reminds me, I have a story to write...

Effralyo

Reaction score
Well-well-well.... I feel "PMH" smell...... :smile:
Frankly, me loves it. Congrats with such a success!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strange, but "my" Clifford does NOT fix the light.... But is it matter when there`s plenty of fics with him.....
THUMBS UP!

Effralyo

Reaction score
And, Gard, if you`re here, clean up your inbox for glark`s sake! :wink:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I absolutely, positively LOVE it!!! This is definitly your best story Lisa.(in my opinion) It's just so beautifully written.:big_grin: :flirt: :excited:

Beauregard

Reaction score
*grabs the shadowy figure by the throat* Tell me what e-xcactly do you think you are DOING???