Summer In The Theater

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yay, I'm SO happy you all like the Gonzo and Rizzo part, because I put a lot into it. Translation: I watched the first few scenes of "Muppets From Space" a dozen times, hit "pause" about twenty times each, and found things in their rooms for them to be sentimentally attached to. I examined Gonzo and Rizzo's room, Kermit's room, and what I could see of Miss Piggy's room. Was rather interesting, really, I'd never noticed that Kermit has fly wallpaper...

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
*resists making a flypaper joke*

Another awesome chapter. Loved the bit with Beau find all the loose change and such on the floor and in the seats of the theatre. It's amazing what falls out of our pockets, isn't it?

Now, get back to your summer reading list young lady! :wink:

-Kim

theprawncracker

Reaction score
That was great Lisa! I loooved Gonzo and Rizzo! Oh, and might Rizzo's high school letterman jacket be a reference to a certain story? No? Oh, okay...

Beauregard

Reaction score
“So who else can get Kermit out of his room?” Rowlf asked as he dished some spaghetti onto Robin’s plate.

As if on cue, the phone rang.

This was good. This was great This was...Oscar worthy!

:excited: - You think it could win an award?

:grouchy: - No, it's worthy of me, Oscar. What?

Seriously though, it was a brillient, brillient chapter!!!

Xerus

Reaction score
That was another great chapter. I liked the money jokes Fozzie and Rowlf were making. :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<fidgets around>

I really really want to get on with this story, already... I mean, yes, I should be focussing on Huck Finn, and answering the random questions on it... but I'm almost done with the reading, and the questions don't look too hard, and I still have some time... And I could use a break, anyway... And I really want to get on with this story... I mean the next chapter isn't anything special, really, it's just sort of time progressing, but there's a couple good chapters coming after it, and...

<fidgets a little more>

...and there's a reference in this chapter...

<continues to fidget>

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter ten

The boarding house was heading off to sleep. Fozzie was making his way from the bathroom to his bedroom. He stopped in front of Scooter’s room, where the go-fer was still counting, again in front of Robin’s room, where Rowlf was tucking the young frog in, and once more in front of Kermit’s room. The door was open and the room was dark. Fozzie looked in and saw the frog standing, looking out the window.

“Kermit?” Fozzie said. He walked into the room and stood next to his friend.

“I hurt everyone today,” Kermit said. He turned and looked at Fozzie. “But I didn’t mean to. I don’t know why I’m pushing everyone away.” He looked down.

“Well- Kermit-“ Fozzie put a hand on his back. “I know you don’t mean it. You just... need a little time. I understand that. We all do.”

Kermit nodded. “Thanks, Fozzie,” he said as he looked up. “I still don’t understand it, though. I feel like-“ he stopped, shook his head and looked back out the window. “I don’t even feel,” he said.

Fozzie didn’t know what to do. “Wanna hear a joke?” he offered. “A frog walks into a bank-“

“Not now, Fozzie,” Kermit interrupted.

“Okay,” Fozzie said. “You should go to sleep. It’s late.”

Kermit nodded. “Yeah,” he said.

“Kermit?” Fozzie said. “Come here.”

Kermit turned and looked at him. Fozzie gave him a hug, and he hugged the bear back. “Thanks, Fozzie,” he said.

“Any time,” Fozzie said. “Good night, Kermit.”

“Good night, Fozzie,” Kermit said. “Sleep good.”

Fozzie walked to the door and paused, looking back in to see that Kermit did in fact get in bed. Then he closed the door and walked to his room.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The next morning, Kermit sat at the breakfast table in his usual chair, at the usual time, surrounded by the usual chaos. He greeted everyone with the usual “good morning,” but without the usual enthusiasm. He was oblivious to the edgy anticipation that was so thick in the air. He didn’t even notice that everyone kept glancing at him nervously.

“Good morning, Uncle Kermit!”

Kermit looked up from his plate to see his nephew standing beside him. “Oh. Good morning, Robin,” he said.

“I finished the card, Uncle Kermit!” Robin handed him a very large card. On the front, there was a little rainbow in the corner with the words “Thank you very much for helping to protect our theater. We hope you feel better soon!” The rest of the card was covered with everyone’s signatures.

Kermit nodded vaguely. “Very nice, Robin,” he said. “Do you want me to sign it, too?”

“Of course, Uncle Kermit!” Robin said as he handed Kermit a pen. “I saved a space for you, right here!”

Sure enough, there was an empty space on the front of the card, just big enough for him to sign his name. “Oh,” he said. He signed the card. “I’ll give it to Officer Dakota when I see him today.”

“Thanks, Uncle Kermit!” Robin said, and he hopped off to his seat.

Kermit looked at the food on his plate. He didn’t really feel like eating, but he knew he needed to.

The kitchen door flew open as Miss Piggy burst in. “Good morning, little people!” she said. Then she saw Kermit sitting in his usual chair. She was thrilled. Perhaps everything was back to normal? She sauntered over and stood beside his chair. “Good morning, Kermie,” she said sweetly.

He stared down at his plate, poking at his food with his fork. She didn’t notice. “Morning,” he mumbled.

“Well?” she said.

“Well what?” he mumbled.

“Well,” she giggled, “Aren’t you going to kiss me good morning?”

He looked blankly up at her. “No,” he said, and he turned back to his plate.

She was thrown off for a moment. She looked at him with her puppy dog eyes and said, “Please?”

He looked up at her again, annoyed. “Piggy, I said no!” he said, and he looked back at his plate and stabbed at his food a little more.

Miss Piggy sat down at the table, trying not to show how hurt she was.

Johnny leaned over towards her. “It might just be a little early for him, Piggy, you oughta try at night time-“

“Shut up,” she said.

Unfortunately, Sal overheard. “Nobody tells Johnny Fiama to shut up!” he said as he prepared to strike.

“No, Sal,” Johnny said with a mistaken calmness, “Don’t-“

“HI-YAA!” Johnny and Sal were sent flying across the room.

Kermit didn’t notice. “Fozzie?” he said. “I think we should get going soon.”

“I’m ready when you are, Kermit!” Fozzie said.

Scooter stood to clear his plate, stopping behind Fozzie’s chair. “Keep him away as long as you can,” he whispered.

“I will,” Fozzie whispered back.

Kermit cleared his plate and Fozzie followed him out the door.

Annie Sue peered out through the curtains. “They’re gone!” she announced.

“Okay everybody,” Scooter said, “Grab whatever you’re selling and get it outside!”

“Oh! First set up the tables!” Miss Piggy said.

“Man, we’ve still gotta clear the table!” Clifford said as he started collecting the dishes.

“I’ll call Frog Scouts,” Robin said, hopping to the phone.

“I’ll set up the signs!” Gonzo said.

“Let’s get to work,” Dr. Teeth said.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter eleven

An athletic teenage boy and his blonde-haired girlfriend were walking down the suburban street hand in hand.

“Look Evan,” the girl said as she pointed to a small sign on the corner, “a yard sale.”

“Forty-four Bronson Lane,” he read. “Isn’t that where that alien lives?”

“What alien?” she asked.

“Don’t you remember, a few years ago, some blue weirdo went on TV and said he was an alien.”

“Oh yeah,” she said. “Wanna check it out?”

“Yeah!”

An old woman peered out through her curtains. “Irving?” she said. “Those crazy people across the street are having a yard sale.”

“The ones who always have explosions?” he asked. “I wonder if they have anything good for sale.”

“Are you strong enough to go?” she asked.

He shrugged. “I’ll be fine,” he said. “Let’s go.”

“How much for this?” A little girl asked, holding up Fozzie’s best joke book.

“Five dollars,” Robin answered. She handed a five-dollar bill to one of the frog scouts and scurried away. “You’re welcome!” Robin called after her.

“What’d you sell?” Rowlf asked.

“Fozzie’s joke book,” Robin said.

“And you actually got money for it?” Rowlf said.

“Thet’s thruty dullers. Um gesh dee bork, bork!” the Swedish Chef said as he handed a book to a man. “Noo remember, fur zee Lemun Creme-a Peee-a receepe-a, it is sooppused tu be-a feefe-a teblespuuns ooff feeneger, nut feefe-a teespuuns ooff feeneger. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!”

The man nodded, looking a bit baffled as he handed the chef some money.

Kermit checked the room number again and looked up at Fozzie. Fozzie could see that he was nervous. Finally they walked into the room.

Officer Bill Dakota was making shadow puppets on his bed sheet. He looked up and was surprised to see a frog and a bear in the room. He reached up, touched his bandaged head, and said, “Am I hallucinating?”

“Uh... no, I don’t think so,” Kermit said. “There really is a bear and a frog in here.”

“What about an elephant?” the officer asked.

Fozzie and Kermit glanced at each other. “There’s no elephant in here,” Fozzie said.

“Good, because I don’t see one,” the officer said. “What can I do for you?”

“Well, uh,” Kermit said as he approached the bed, “My name is Kermit the Frog, and this is Fozzie, and, well we just wanted to thank you for what you did for us. I mean, protecting the theater.”

Officer Dakota nodded. “I’d say it was no trouble at all, but that isn’t quite true,” he said. “So I guess I’ll just say You’re Welcome.”

“Yeah,” Kermit said. “Uh, my nephew made this card for you.” He handed the card to the officer.

Bill took the card and smiled a little. “Thank you,” he said. “Thank you very much.”

“You must pay full respect to this flag,” Sam said. “Do not leave it out in the rain. Take it down every night, or shine a light on it. And do not ever let it touch the ground!”

“Yes sir,” the soldier said as he handed the eagle some money.

“Hey, thanks for the drums, man!” a longhaired teenage boy called to Floyd.

“Hey, no problem!” Floyd said. “Just don’t let him know you have them!” He pointed to where Animal was chained on the porch.

“YARD SALE! YARD SALE!” he was shouting.

“You sure I should really take them?” the boy asked.

“Sure, they’re his old set. We got him a new one a couple months ago,” Floyd said.

“Besides, they’re already paid for and in your van,” Dr. Teeth added.

“Thanks guys!” the boy said.

“Here you go, sir,” Bunsen said. “One periodic table of elements for five dollars. Enjoy it!”

“Thanks!” the young boy said as he adjusted his glasses, took the periodic table and left.

Kermit and Fozzie stood outside the hospital.

“I’m not really sure I should go home yet,” Kermit said blankly. He shook his head. “I’m afraid to even look at them.”

“That’s okay,” Fozzie said. “Why don’t we take a walk in the park? That always cheers you up.”

“Okay,” Kermit said vaguely. He clearly wasn’t all too interested in the park at the moment.

“We’re running out of things to sell,” Scooter said as he, Rizzo, and Pepe shuffled through an old filing cabinet.

“We could sell this,” Rizzo said, holding up a thick packet of papers.

Scooter looked at it. “That’s the script for Muppets take Manhattan,” he said.

“Well I know that,” Rizzo said. “It was my first big break. I bet we could get some big bucks for this.”

“Si, but there’s legal issues, okay,” Pepe said. “All sorts of copyright stuff. Kermin would not be happy if we sold dat, hokay.”

“Well what’s in this drawer?” Scooter said as he opened the top drawer.

“Don’t touch dat!” Pepe shouted.

“Why not?” Rizzo asked.

“Because, dat could get us in big troubles, okay,” Pepe said. “Those are de stories people send in with us as characters. Crazy fan peoples, hokay. We can’t touch them! If we’re already working on something similar, dey could sue us, hokay! We can’t sell those.”

Scooter sighed. “Well, I hope we can make enough money,” he said as he closed the drawer.

“Si, but let’s worry about what we’re already selling, okay!” Pepe said.

Kermit usually loved to walk through the park. He would go with Robin, or Fozzie, or whoever wanted to come. He would walk slowly, pointing out the tiniest pieces of nature and marveling over them until his companion got annoyed. But today, the roles had switched.

“Look, Kermit,” Fozzie was saying energetically. “This flower is bigger than last time we were here. Look at all the different shades of pink, just in this one flower. Isn’t that amazing?” He was trying to pull out the old Kermit. Surely the frog he knew was in there somewhere. He pointed out everything, hoping to catch Kermit’s interest, and bring him back to life. But Kermit was numb to it all. “And look at that tree,” Fozzie went on. “It gets taller every year, doesn’t it? Look at the branches, Kermit, look how thick they’ve gotten. And the leaves, Kermit, look how big they are!”

Kermit nodded. “Yeah,” he said unemotionally. He sat down on a bench.

Fozzie sat next to him. There was one more thing that Kermit always loved to look at. “Look at the sky, Kermit,” Fozzie said. “Aren’t those clouds so interesting? Don’t you ever wonder ‘bout the world above up there?” He hoped that would strike a nerve. After all, Kermit asked him that question all the time.

Kermit looked at the clouds. “Looks like it might rain later,” he said.

Fozzie sighed. It wasn’t working. Where was the Kermit he had always known? Who was this empty shell of a frog that had replaced him?

Kermit stood up. “Let’s go home,” he said.

Fozzie stood up. “Well- uh- okay, Kermit. Let me just- uh- make a phone call, first.”

“Okay,” Kermit said. “I’ll wait over there.”

Kermit walked over to a statue of himself with two kids. They were smiling, happy, with nothing but hope in their hearts. Kermit looked down at the plaque. “To the lovers, the dreamers, and you.” Words that had seemed so magical to him just two weeks ago, and meant nothing to him now.

What was wrong with him?

“Absolutely not!” Pepe said.

“Come on, Pepe, we need the money,” Rizzo said.

“I know that, hokay!” Pepe said. “But we are NOT selling the Jacuzzi!”

“Why not?” Gonzo said. “My family never came for it. Why do we need a Jacuzzi, anyway?”

Rizzo looked back and forth between Gonzo and Pepe.

“Uh... we don’t, hokay,” Pepe said. “But Kermin would notice if it just disappeared, hokay.”

“Well what about the funny little lights,” Gonzo said. “Can we sell those?”

Pepe sighed. “Si, we can sell de lights, hokay.”

“No we can’t,” Scooter said as he approached. “We have to close up. Fozzie just called. Kermit’s on the way back.”

Gonzo and Scooter hurried off to start taking everything back inside. Rizzo turned to Pepe. “You STILL haven’t told him?!” he said.

Pepe ignored the comment. “Come on, Ritzo, we got to clean up de yard sale, okay!” he said.

By the time Kermit and Fozzie got home, there was no sign that there had ever been a yard sale at the Muppet Boarding House.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Agh! They were ripped off, I would have paid waaay more than five dollars for one of Bunsen's periodic tables. Rats, if only I had know the yard sale was on...and lived in America...and was a fictional character in your story...

Another excellent instalment. Your comic relief timing is perfect.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Two absolutely fabulous chapters Lisa! You've been very busy (which is more than I can say about how I've been with my story right now). I think the reference is when Piggy asks for a kiss? Refering to your first fan fic about Lloyd Galt? I could be wrong, but that stuck out to me. And I just feel so bad for Kermit. I love all the other Muppets for working so hard for him! I love Fozzie for trying so hard to cheer him up! You're doing so great, I love it.

Oh, another reference could be Pepe talking about all the stories the fans send in? Refering to all of our fan fics here on MC?