Swamp Call

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yeah, you'd better be "yay"-ing these references, considering that there were several times while I was writing it that I had to stop, get up, jump squeal and dance around. But before I post, let me remind us of something...
TogetherAgain said:
Oh and uh, about this:
Reaubegard said:
Uncle Kermit! Uncle Kermit! Uncle Kermeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!
<devious twinkle in eye> Don't get ahead of yourself, Beau.
Now then.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter twenty

Kermit stretched out on a log with his hands behind his head and looked up at the morning sky. It had only been a little more than a day since the show, but the stress from it seemed millions of miles away. At the same time, his mother’s next doctor’s appointment was a little more than two days ahead, but that wasn’t bothering him much, either. Not this morning.

This morning, he was taking his time in getting up. There was no need to hurry. Here in the swamp, days were long, laid-back and simple. There was no pressure to do anything but relax and be happy, and enjoy being a frog. Everything was completely carefree, and there wasn’t a worry in the world. Why rush to wake up? There was plenty to see and do, but none of it required a fast pace. Actually, most of it would be contradicted if it were hurried to. Why couldn’t mornings at the boarding house be like this?

“MIT! MIT! WAKE UP! COME ON, HURRY, MIT!” Maggie grabbed his wrist and dragged him off the log. “HURRY UP!”

Kermit rubbed his head as he ran behind his sister, trying not to let her drag him. “Maggie, what are you-“

“THEY’RE HATCHING, MIT!” she shouted.

“What?”

She grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him. “THE TADPOLES!”

“Oh!”

They nearly flew over the lily pads to where a few of their siblings had already gathered around Leslie and Bob, all watching the eggs with silent intensity. Kermit sat on a lily pad between Leslie and his mother, with Maggie looking over his shoulder.

“There!” someone said.

A crack in one of the eggs was slowly growing a little longer, a little wider, a little bigger, and a tadpole slipped out!

“Do you see him?”

“I see him!”

“Oh, he looks so sweet!”

“How adorable!”

“What’s his name?”

Kermit looked at Leslie and smiled. “Congratulations, sister,” he said. “I hope you have a lot of ideas for names.”

Leslie looked a little lost. She turned to Bob, but he was just as overwhelmed as she was. “Um...” she said, “...How about... Kevin?”

Bob nodded. “Kevin.”

“Look, there’s another one!”

Leslie looked at her second tadpole. “Um... Bo?”

“And another!”

“...Ed?”

The elderly lady frog laughed. “Leslie, dear, you’re going to have to start thinking of names a little faster,” she said in her forever-gentle voice. “See, you’ve already got five more.”

“Oh, um, alright Mom,” Leslie said, “Um... Luke, Dee, Phillip, Ryan, um... Byron...”

“And that one?”

“...Bryan...”

“Leslie, you’re falling into the same trap as Mom and Dad!” a frog in the back called out.

Leslie glanced back at the frog. “Sorry, Yo-Yo!” She called.

“I’m Ya-Ya!” the frog said.

“Whatever!” Leslie said.

“No, that’s Gonzo,” Kermit muttered.

“What?”

He pointed at the tadpoles. “Just name them.”

“Right,” she said. “Um, Kyle, Sarah, Harry, um... Vic... Lisa... Dan...”

Kermit watched as that area of the pond slowly filled with tadpoles. They were all carefree, just happy to be out of their eggs, wiggling around in the water...

“...Zack... Christy... Beth... Mike... Matt... Andy... Manda... Emmy... Harvey...”

They darted around each other, in and out of the shadows, back and forth through the leaves of the under-water plants...

“...Kim... Louise... Barry... Kathy... Aaron...”

Kermit could vaguely remember that time of his life. Sometimes he missed being a pollywog. He looked at his newborn nieces and nephews. They all looked so happy.

“...Nyssa... Amy... Cindy... Zelda... um... uh....”

Kermit laughed. “Running out of names, Leslie?” he said.

Leslie ignored him. “Jay!”

Bob looked at her. “Jay... is Jay short for something longer?”

“No,” Leslie said. “Just Jay.”

“What about that one, Leslie?” Maggie asked.

“Um... Brian, John, Cheryl, Heather... Lisa...”

“You already have a Lisa, dear,” their mother reminded her.

“Oh yeah,” Leslie said. “Um... Well, in that case... Karen... Frank, Jerry, Dave, Steve, Richard, Eric, Bill, Don, Caroll...”

They watched carefully, but none of the remaining eggs hatched.

“I guess that’s all of them,” Bob said quietly.

The crowd of frogs slowly dispersed. Kermit stayed on the lily pad and watched the tiny pollywogs dart around their corner of the pond. He let his hand hang down into the water and held it very still. It was only a few seconds before the smallest tadpole was dancing around his fingers, inspecting him carefully. Kermit felt the tiny tail brush against the palm of his hand, smiled, and started to sing.

Tadpole, wiggling in the water,
Brand new world is there for you to see.
Lots of time ‘til you grow up to be,
A big frog, like me.
Tadpole, haven’t got a worry,
Biggest job is swimming peacefully.
Wonder if you know you’ll grow to be,
A big frog, like me.
Changes happen as time passes by.
Soon enough, you’ll be grown!
With a home, on a lily-pad,
And some tadpoles of your own.
Oh little tadpole, wiggling in the water,
Far from all responsibility.
Take your time ‘til you grow up to be,
A big frog, like me.
Tadpole, take your time to be a big green grown up frog,
Like me.
Da da da de da du, la da de ba da.
Ribbit, ribbit! Ba bada de da,
Doo doo. Bada dadu, ribbit, ribbit.
Ba da da du da
...”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

A few days later, an elderly lady frog sat in the hospital waiting room, waiting to be called in for her appointment. She looked around at her family, trying to ignore her overwhelming nausea.

She tapped her son on the shoulder. “Kermit?” she said. “Why don’t you get everyone together and get some lunch. I’m sure they’re getting hungry.”

“Alright Mom,” Kermit said as he got to his feet. “I’ll go get whoever’s by the vending machine. Mags, Jimmy, could you two check the bathrooms?”

“Sure Mit!”

“Yup.”

“Kermit hurried to the end of the hall, where a dozen young frogs were staring at the vending machine. “Come on guys,” he said. “We’re going for lunch. What are you looking at?” They giggled. Kermit scrunched up his face. “Jacob, get out of the vending machine,” he scolded.

A young frog reluctantly climbed out of the food slot. “Sorry, Uncle Kermit,” he mumbled.

Kermit shook his head, took the frog’s hand, and led the small crowd back to the waiting room, which was now almost overflowing with frogs.

“Okay, are we all here?” he said. He stood on his tiptoes and scanned the room.

“I think so,” Maggie said.

But Kermit wasn’t so sure. He scanned the room a second time, then a third, and a fourth. He turned to Jimmy, concerned.

“Where’s Robin?”

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok. I've missed a chapter, but I'm grabbing these references first!!!

TogetherAgain said:
Kermit stretched out on a log
Muppet Movie?

looked up
Kermit's Swamp years!

at the morning sky.[/qoute]

Morning...morning...mourning! It's Prawnies fan-fic of Kermit dying...

But seriously...:stick_out_tongue:

Leslie looked a little lost. She turned to Bob, but he was just as overwhelmed as she was. “Um...” she said, “...How about... Kevin?”
Ok...I'm not doing too well at this after all, btu Kevin is a certain Mod. Bo! That's ME!!! Ed! That's Count!

“Um... Luke, Dee, Phillip, Ryan, um... Byron...”
I know! I know! Luke is Luke. Dee is Dee. Ryan is Prawnie, Phill is Chapman, Byron is...is...Byron! Note: Extra reference becuase you got teh spellign right!

“Um, Kyle, Sarah, Harry, um... Vic... Lisa... Dan...”
I know no Harries! But count up the rest!!!

“...Zack... Christy... Beth... Mike... Matt... Andy... Manda... Emmy... Harvey...”
Zack the Dog, Christy check! Beth, beth, and, er beth....Matt? is tha tme again? Andy (the clown shoes guy?) Manda, Emmy! Yey! Emmy!!!

“...Kim... Louise... Barry... Kathy... Aaron...”
Check. Check. Etc. And Yup!

*exhasted* Zelda Rose, now there a rare one!

“Um... Brian, John, Cheryl, Heather... Lisa...”
Who? never heard of them...*whistles*

“Oh yeah,” Leslie said. “Um... Well, in that case... Karen... Frank, Jerry, Dave, Steve, Richard, Eric, Bill, Don, Caroll...”
Who? Who? Who? I'll ne-ver guess!!!

“Where’s Robin?”
ROBIN!!!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Alright, Beau, you've earned yourself a muffin for catching, understanding, and appreciating most of the references. Now go catch up on the other chapters you missed!

Folks, Beau got most of them.

Most.

But not all.

He said himself he didn't know some, there was one or two he got wrong, and there's one that he didn't even mention.

So I've got some more muffins here if anyone else wants to try...

Oh, and I did warn you about that cliff-hanger, right? I didn't? Oh. Sorry.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
“Whatever!” Leslie said.

“No, that’s Gonzo,” Kermit muttered.
Is that a reference to MC's Whatever?

But anyway, WONDERFUL CHAPTER!!! I loooooooved it! Loved it! Oh, and MORE MORE MORE!

Please...:smile:

RedDragon

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
I hope I make a cute tadpole. I think I would, frogs can be so cute when they're pollywogs.
Anyway, great chapter Lisa.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Just read back the last couple of chapters, and I LOVE the Family in this story! It's the most magical sparkling story ever! And the Johnny-Sal bit was priceess!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I'm a tadpole too! Or I suppose it's for both Whatever Beth and Me. And there's Beth C too, except that's just her user name. Oh well, can't name three of them Beth! I'm just happy to see it.

ROBINNNNNN!!!!!!

More please.