Swamp Call

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thank you Dr. Henson.
WHOA. Chills, chills and MORE chills.

They went and sat halfway down the stairs
Goosebumps.

I LOVED this chapter Lisa. I can't believe each chapter continues to get more powerful and yet it does. I want to see this as a movie! It would be SO GOOD!!!

The comedic stuff with the young frogs and all of Kermit's friends was just great too.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

RedDragon

Reaction score
Great chap. but I just relized you have two chapter 23's. So this last chap. was number 31.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yeah, I realized that at some point yesterday, and I was like "Oh shoot, that really stinks." So, yeah. Next chapter is chapter 32, yes? I like the next chapter, personally, it's another one of those scenes that's been replaying in my head again and again and again since September. I don't think it's quite as powerful, but I like it. And I'm giving too much away. And I should definately be studying for finals right now. Why am I on MC now? Sheesh, my brain is a scary place...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter thirty-two

Kermit sleepily stretched out on his favorite log with his hands behind his head, and looked up at the star-studded sky. He let out a deep sigh.

His brothers and sisters were all taking turns sitting at the hospital with their father while their mother recovered from the operation. They had even divided the time up into shifts. But his shift wasn’t for a while yet, so he had come back to the swamp with everyone else. Only Maggie had stayed, but that was because it was her shift. And his friends had gone back to their hotel to get some sleep.

Kermit listened to the sounds all around him as he struggled to stay awake. He could hear a few crickets chirping, and his nieces and nephews playing across the pond. He gently reached one hand down into the water. After a while, he felt a little tadpole brush against his fingers. He smiled and glanced down to see who it was. “Hi Preston,” he whispered.

He turned back to watch the sky. There just wasn’t anything quite like spending an evening here on this log with his banjo. If only he hadn’t forgotten his banjo back at the boarding house. Still, he felt like he could finally relax, the way he always did in the swamp.

Kermit,” a distant voice called to him. “Kermit...”

He smiled and fastened his eyes on the source of the voice. “Is that you, Star?” he said softly.

Of course it is,” his star said. It was brighter than usual. “We haven’t talked in a while.”

“Yeah,” Kermit said. “Hey um, Star? You know what Robin said today, about which home will we never find a place like?”

Are you wondering too, Kermit?” his star asked.

“Well... yeah, I... I guess I kind of am,” he said.

Don’t worry, Kermit,” his star assured him. “As long as you follow me, you’ll have all three of your homes.”

“All three,” he repeated. “You mean the swamp, the theater, and Sesame Street?”

Well,” his star chuckled, “Are there any other three I could mean?”

“That’s true,” he said. “Thanks, Star.”

You’re welcome, Kermit,” his star said. Then it returned to its usual brightness.

He pulled his hand up out of the water and tucked it back behind his head.

“Kermie?” a voice said.

He turned his head, surprised. “Miss Piggy,” he said as he stood up and walked to where she was standing, just a few feet away from him. “Hi.”

“Hi Kermie,” she said with a smile. She had changed into a slightly plainer dress than the one she had been wearing earlier, and she was holding her hands behind her back.

“Um, not to be rude, Piggy,” Kermit said, “But what are you doing in the swamp? I never thought you would come here.”

“Well,” Miss Piggy said, “Moi just thought that vous would want to have this with vous.” She pulled her hands out from behind her back, and he saw that she was holding his banjo!

“Oh, wow!” he said, “Thank you!” He gently took the banjo from her and held it carefully, as though it would break if he even breathed on it wrong. His eyes danced up and down every inch of the instrument, almost not believing that he was really holding it.

Miss Piggy watched him. “Play something, Kermie,” she whispered.

He played a few very familiar notes, and then smiled up at her like a kid in a candy store. She smiled back at him.

He played the notes again, stepped back to his log, and sat down. She followed, glanced at the log, and frowned at how much dirt she saw.

He hardly noticed her as he played the same notes twice more, and began to sing.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what’s on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we’ve been told and some choose to believe it,
I know they’re wrong, wait and see.
Someday we’ll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me
.”

Miss Piggy wiped the log off with her hand, sat down, and watched him as he sang.

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it,
Look what it’s done so far.
What’s so amazing that keeps us star gazing,
And what do we think we might see?
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.
All of us under its spell,
We know that it’s probably magic
...”

By now he was completely lost in the song, swaying back and forth, and she wondered if he even knew or cared where he was or who was there.

Have you been half asleep, and have you heard voices?
I’ve heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I’ve heard it too many times to ignore it,
It’s something that I’m s’posed to be.
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.
La da da de da da doo,
La da da da da de da doo
...”

He nodded to himself as he finished the song. He looked over his banjo again, then sighed and slowly became more aware of his surroundings. He looked over at Miss Piggy, smiled, and started to play a slow, soothing melody. “Piggy?” he said. “Tell me about the theater.” He sounded like a child asking for his favorite bedtime story.

“Well... what about the theater?” she asked.

He shrugged. “Anything.”

“Oh,” she said. “Well, we’ve been doing alright, I suppose, but it just isn’t the same without vous there, Kermie. Scooter and Rowlfie and Clifford have been trying very hard, but it’s just not right. Nobody listens to them. Why, they don’t even know what to tell us. Hilda had no idea what she was supposed to do with moi’s costumes, Kermie. You remember the little holes they got in them a few weeks ago? Well, I gave them to Scooter to take to her, and she thought she was supposed to resize them! She took moi in for measurements, which she has moi’s measurements already of course, and she asked if my costumes were getting too small! Well, moi told her...”

Kermit kept playing as she talked. For once, he didn’t mind at all that she was complaining. He listened to her, and occasionally nodded or made an off hand comment about something he would take care of when he got back. But all the while, a swirl of other thoughts danced through his mind.

“...But he still can’t get that light fixed, Kermie. Moi do not know what he has been doing up there, but it obviously isn’t helping at all. He can’t possibly be doing anything to help Rowlfie and Scooter, because he just spends every day up there tinkering with some wires or something. That’s all he ever does, Kermie...”

He glanced at her. Was it the moonlight? The way it played across her face through the branches, illuminating her face in perhaps just the right way... But no, that wasn’t it. Was it her clothes? He kept playing.

“...And Kermie, you wouldn’t believe how terrible it smelled! But Rizzo was crazy enough to eat it, as usual, and you can’t even tell now...”

He glanced at her. Was it the swamp? The grass and the branches of a few trees behind her seemed to somehow frame her face in perhaps just the right way... But no, that wasn’t it. Was it the stars? He kept playing.

“...So he went all the way to the other side of town just to buy this silly paintbrush, and then he realized that he didn’t even have the right paint. So he went all the way back...”

He glanced at her. Was it just how tired he was? No, that wasn’t it. Planetary alignment, perhaps? He kept playing.

“But,” she sighed, “Apart from all that, I suppose everything at the theater is alright.”

He nodded. She looked up at the sky, half wondering at the stars.

His song came to an end and he looked up at her.

After a long moment of silence, she realized that he wasn’t playing anymore. She looked at him. “Is something wrong?” she asked.

He looked straight into her eyes. “Miss Piggy,” he managed to whisper, “You look beautiful tonight.”

He held her gaze for a moment, then turned back to his banjo and started another song.

She smiled and let out a light, happy sigh. While he wasn’t looking, she slowly leaned a little closer to him. He glanced at her, and she held still. He looked back at his banjo. She slowly leaned a little closer to him. He glanced at her again, and she held still. He looked back at his banjo. She slowly leaned a little closer. He glanced at her once more, and she held still. He looked back at his banjo. She stared to slowly lean a little closer to him. He ended the song, put his hand on her shoulder, and kissed her.

She wrapped her arms around him and he slipped his arm around her neck. Then he pressed his cheek against hers. After a moment, he leaned back to look at her.

“Don’t get too used to this,” he said.

“But Kermie,” she giggled, “I already have!”

He scrunched his face up. “Sheesh,” he said. She giggled. He pulled her close again and sighed. After another moment, he sat up, turned, and leaned his back against her.

She frowned. “What am I, a backrest?” she said angrily.

He turned his head to look at her. “Well you’re a lot more comfortable than the log,” he said. She sighed. “Piggy?” he said. He reached to hold her hand “You and Fozzie and everyone... why’d you come to Leland?”

“Well,” she said, “Because you... we thought... you needed us...”

He nodded. “And why are you here now?”

She struggled to regain her composure. “Well, uh,” she said, “Moi thought that, uh, vous would want, um-“

“My banjo?” he said.

She nodded. “Yes.”

He smiled. “Well, it’s a nice excuse,” he said, “But I don’t think that’s the real reason. Because if we switched places, and it was your mom in the hospital, I think we would still be sitting like this. And you don’t have a banjo for me to bring you.” His voice got softer. “I think you’re really here for the same reason you all came to Leland. You’re here for me to lean on.” He squeezed her hand. “That’s just what we do,” he said. “We’re there for each other. Right?”

She smiled. “Of course, Kermie,” she said. “Isn’t that what love is?”

He dropped her hand and sat up. “Well, um...” He cleared his throat. “Uh, something...” He looked at her. “Something, uh...” He shrugged. “...Pretty close to that, anyway...”

She pulled him back against her chest, took his hand, guided it to his banjo, and gave him a kiss. “Play, mon capitan,” she whispered.

Kermit let her hold him as he played some of his favorite slow songs, not minding that some of them had clearly never been meant to be played on a banjo. Neither he nor Miss Piggy spoke a word as they sat and watched the star-lit night. But after Miss Piggy’s third badly stifled yawn, Kermit stopped playing and set his banjo down, leaning it against the log.

“It’s late,” he said. “I should get back to the hospital.”

She nodded. “And moi should get some sleep,” she said as she yawned again.

“Well,” he said as they stood up, “The hotel’s on the way.”

They walked through the marsh grasses and emerged onto the old dirt road. Kermit stopped and looked up at the stars once more. “Piggy?” he said.

She stood next to him. “Yes, Kermie?”

He looked her straight in the eyes. “Thank you,” he said quietly.

She smiled at him. “You’re welcome, Kermie,” she said. “...For what?”

He shook his head and started walking down the road. She hurried after him, grabbed his hand, and walked beside him into town.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Good God...This was so...This was just...This was...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...That about sums it up...

That was so unbelivably amazing...Kermit and Piggy...You rock! Lisa! This was just perfect! All of it! Perfect! The star! The frog! The pig! The banjo! The rainbow! AMAZING! And once more for effect...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-MAN

Reaction score
That was wonderful, his conversation with the star and that song.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh the star! How I love the star! And Rainbow Connection! And Kermit and Piggy! It was so sweet! I love how Star said if Kermit followed it he'd always have his three homes. The theater, the swamp and Sesame Street. That's so nice! This was just such a sweet little chapter. I loved it.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter thirty-three. ...Thirty-three?!? Sheesh!

Kermit and Miss Piggy walked down the hallway and came to a stop in front of room 125. Kermit stepped between the door and Miss Piggy, and put his hand on her arm. “Piggy?” he said.

“Yes Kermie?” she said sweetly.

He hesitated. Then he shrugged, and kissed her on the cheek.

She gasped and snatched him close to her. “Oh, Kermie,” she sighed.

He buried his face in her hair. Then he turned his head slightly, and noticed the door right across the hall from her room. It was partly opened, and from bottom to top, he could plainly see the faces of Pepe, Scooter, Gonzo, Fozzie, Rowlf, and Clifford, all watching. He scrunched his face up at them, and they quickly tucked their heads back behind the door and banged it shut.

Miss Piggy flinched, he straightened up, and she started to turn to see what had made the noise. Without thinking, he put his hand on her cheek to keep her from looking. Their eyes locked. And then she nearly tackled him with kisses.

He put his hand against the wall to keep from falling over, and scrunched his face up. “Piggy,” he said.

“Oh sorry Kermie!” she said as she straightened up. Her hair had been tossed about and a piece of it was now stuck on her ear. He watched her as she fumbled with her key, opened the door, and stepped inside. “Well,” she said as she turned to face him. She sighed. “Goodnight, Kermie,” she whispered.

He reached up and fixed the stray piece of hair. “Goodnight, Piggy,” he said. Feeling brave, he kissed her cheek again. She sighed and fell flat on her back. He frowned. “Are you okay?” he asked.

“Fine!” she called up to him.

“Oh,” he shrugged. “Well, goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Kermie!” she said.

He closed the door and leaned against it with a sigh. He smiled a very tiny smile. Then he fixed his eyes on the door across the hall, to room 126. He walked over, lifted his hand to knock, and hesitated. He took a napkin off of a nearby room service cart and wiped his face with it. Then he knocked.

Sweetums opened the door. “Hey Kermit,” he said, “Come on in.”

Kermit closed the door behind him. Sweetums sat in a chair next to the bed. The others were all sitting on the bed, playing poker. They looked up at Kermit.

“Hey guys,” he said as he hopped up onto the bed.

“Hey,” they said.

“Come on, Pepe,” Clifford said, “Could you show us your cards this century, please?”

“Hokay, hokay!” Pepe said. He slapped his cards down on the bed and almost everyone moaned.

“Darn,” Scooter said, “I thought you were bluffing.”

“He wasn’t, but I was,” Fozzie said as he laid his cards down. “I got nothing.”

Pepe laughed. “Jour up, Rowlf,” he said, “How bad did I beat jou, hokay?”

Rowlf shook his head. “Sorry,” he said as he laid his cards down. “Full house.”

“What?” Pepe said. “Dat’s unbelievable! Jou must have cheated, hokay.”

“Oh relax, Pepe,” Fozzie said, “It’s just a game.”

“Just a game? Just a game?” Pepe pointed to the pile of cash Rowlf was sweeping in. “Dat’s monies, hokay!”

Rowlf chuckled. “So Kermit,” he said, “Are you walking out on Miss Piggy?”

Kermit scrunched his face up. “Don’t you guys have anything better to do than spy?” he said.

“No,” Fozzie said.

“Not really,” Sweetums said.

“Well,” Gonzo said, “We could balance pickles, lima beans and asparagus on our noses while doing the who’s wearing my pants polka.” They stared at him. “What?”

Clifford shook his head. “Naw Kerm, we’ve checked out this whole town, and there’s nothing to do here. Man, the way you talk about this place, you’d think it was Oz.”

Fozzie looked up. “Frank Oz?”

“I think he meant the movie,” Gonzo whispered.

“I thought he meant the wizard,” Scooter whispered.

Clifford started dealing the cards. “Hey Kerm, you wanna play a hand?”

Kermit shook his head. “I can’t, I-“

“Si, he’s gotta get back to his lover across de hall, hokay,” Pepe said. He turned to Kermit. “Which is disgusting, hokay, Kermin,” he went on. “I can’t believe jou would want to kiss her, hokay.”

Kermit frowned. “How do you know I kissed her?”

They stared at him, frozen.

He swallowed. “Uh, that is, um... How would you know, uh... if, um...”

Scooter shook his head. “Too late, Boss, you slipped,” he said.

Kermit scrunched his face up and looked down at the floral-print bedspread. “Sheesh,” he muttered.

“Well don’t keep her waiting,” Rowlf said, nodding towards the door.

“Or at least play a hand if you do,” Clifford said.

Kermit snapped his head up, with his face still scrunched. “That is not why I’m not playing,” he said.

Sure it isn’t,” Gonzo said.

“No, I’m serious, guys,” Kermit said. “My brothers and sisters and I all wanted to wait at the hospital with Mom and Dad, so we divided it into shifts. My shift starts at nine.”

“Si, but it’s almost nine now, hokay,” Pepe said.

Kermit looked at the alarm clock on the nightstand. “Yipes!” He hopped off the bed. “I’ll see ya later, guys!” He said as he bolted out the door and down the hall.

Pepe shook his head. “Dios mio, dat’s one crazy frog, hokay?”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Maggie was tapping her foot with her arms folded across her chest and a devious twinkle in her eye when Kermit burst into the waiting room. “How’s Mom?” he said as he ran over.

She tilted her head to the side. “First tell me why the frog who’s usually five minutes early is now ten minutes late,” she said.

He scrunched his face up. “Margaret!”

She smiled. “Oh, you’re calling me ‘Margaret,’ well this must be really good!”

“Sheesh...”

She laughed. “Alright, I’ll let you slide this time,” she said. “Mom said she wants to talk to you as soon as you get here. She’s in room 218.”

“Right,” Kermit said as he started to run past her.

“Mit!” She grabbed his arm and pushed him into a secluded corner. “Turn around...”

He did. “Now what?” She took his collar off and he immediately flung his arms up by his neck. “Margaret!”

“You got lipstick on it,” she said, putting it back on him inside out. “There, Mom won’t notice that.” She slapped him on the back. “Go.”

“Thanks Mags!” he called over his shoulder as he ran down the hall.

“Mit!” she called. She pointed in the opposite direction. “218’s that way!”

He zoomed past her. “Thanks!”

She laughed and shook her head. “Holy mosquitoes,” she said. “What a crazy frog.”

theprawncracker

Reaction score
218!!! Must see! Must see!! AHHHH!!!

AND GONZO WAS AMAZING!!! AWESOME CHAPTER LISA!