"Swashbuckle", "Mumford changes Maria's age sketch

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay, after reading through Sesame Street Guy's Sesame Street episode guide, some old SS memories have been stirred up and I'm trying to remember the full details now.

Does anyone else remember Luis reading the "Swashbuckle" story? I seem to recall him acting out the part of this pirate.
Also, does anyone remember Mumford the Magician chaning Maria's age? I think I recall seeing that one too, but I can't remember all of it.
And while I'm remembering old SS memories, I'll throw this one out too. I may have said it before but I don't know.

Anyway, some years ago, somewhere in the mid-1980s I remember seeing this particular episode of Sesame Street. It may have been a 1970s rerun or something- I don't know. Anyway, the plot for the street scenes that I remember is this- Telly starts out the scene with an orange that he's going to eat. He puts it down on the table in the courtyard area under the old basketball basket. He walks off to do something and comes back to find it missing. Unbeknownst to him, a kinda scary looking monster has come and grabbed the orange and ran off with it. I'm pretty sure the viewer sees the monster but none of the SS characters see him taking anything until the very end. Basically, this goes on with the monster stealing stuff all over Sesame Street and everyone on the street trying to figure out how things keep disappearing. They finally catch the monster in the act and Maria explains to him that stealing is wrong. They explain to him about asking to borrow things before you take them, which he happily agrees to do and all is well again.
Does anyone remember this episode, as in what year it aired and anything else that happened in it? Also, does anyone remember what the monster looked like? (Perhaps it was Frazzle or someone like that.)
Thanks.

:smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I remember the episode with "Swashbuckle." That was a good one.

I don't quite remember the one where Mumford changes Maria's age, but I do remember some other things he did to her. (Ex: Making her quack like a duck; turning her into a root beer float, etc.)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I think the "quack like a duck" bit sounds familiar too. And the "Swashbuckle" story does sound familiar too. What exactly was it though? I think it was Luis telling a story about pirates and he enacted the role of one of them, but I don't remember the rest. Anyone else remember any of this stuff? :confused: :eek: :sympathy: (I'm not really sad, I just wanted to use the Rowlf smiley)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think we're both on the same page, Gonzo. I remember the same things you remember but I don't quite remember all the details. I guess what happened was that Luis was reading and Big Bird tried to guess the ending. Then the phone rang or something and Luis had to leave, so Big Bird tried to imagine what happened. I wish there was a transcript of this or something to help me remember. (Now I know how Forgetful Jones must have felt. :smile:)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yeah, hopefully someone can make an extremely detailed Sesame Street episode guide someday, with all the sketches and songs listed. That would be some project though! :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, I would but don't have that kind of time. I'm just the information guy, the SS archival consultant if you will. I answer the character questions. LOL

mikebennidict

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
Okay, after reading through Sesame Street Guy's Sesame Street episode guide, some old SS memories have been stirred up and I'm trying to remember the full details now.

Does anyone else remember Luis reading the "Swashbuckle" story? I seem to recall him acting out the part of this pirate.
Also, does anyone remember Mumford the Magician chaning Maria's age? I think I recall seeing that one too, but I can't remember all of it.
And while I'm remembering old SS memories, I'll throw this one out too. I may have said it before but I don't know.

Anyway, some years ago, somewhere in the mid-1980s I remember seeing this particular episode of Sesame Street. It may have been a 1970s rerun or something- I don't know. Anyway, the plot for the street scenes that I remember is this- Telly starts out the scene with an orange that he's going to eat. He puts it down on the table in the courtyard area under the old basketball basket. He walks off to do something and comes back to find it missing. Unbeknownst to him, a kinda scary looking monster has come and grabbed the orange and ran off with it. I'm pretty sure the viewer sees the monster but none of the SS characters see him taking anything until the very end. Basically, this goes on with the monster stealing stuff all over Sesame Street and everyone on the street trying to figure out how things keep disappearing. They finally catch the monster in the act and Maria explains to him that stealing is wrong. They explain to him about asking to borrow things before you take them, which he happily agrees to do and all is well again.
Does anyone remember this episode, as in what year it aired and anything else that happened in it? Also, does anyone remember what the monster looked like? (Perhaps it was Frazzle or someone like that.)
Thanks.

:smile:
i remember seeing Mumford changing Maria to a girl who was roughly 10. don't recall what he was trying to do bust Maria who went into Hooper's store probably to avoid any trouble comes out saying Mumford look what you did. he has to read this book to get her back to being an adult. when he does that Luis Gordon and one of the other Men were watching him do it then they to became young as well. finally Mumford get everyonr back to adult size. i think it would been funny if Mumford makes Maria's clothes disappear

Censored

Reaction score
I seem to remember that after Mumford changed Maria into a child, he went off to figure out what went wrong and told her, "Don't go anywhere." Maria the child said, "Go anywhere? I can't even cross the street without someone holding my hand!"

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks mike and geebee! The Mumford and Maria's age change sketch memories are definitely coming back now! Can anyone possibly fill in the details on the other sketch and episode I mentioned? thanks. :smile:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
For the Mumford/Maria show (#2341): Mumford was trying to make a plant (or was it a potted tree?) smaller, and did, but also made Maria younger.

As for Capt. Swashbuckle (show #2173), Luis was reading it to BB at the Fix-It Shop, but was interrupted by a phone call. BB tried to figure out what happens next, and theorizes that Capt. Swashbuckle's phone rang (which led to the "fantasy" of Luis as Swashbuckle).