Sympathy for Fozzie

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That Fabulously Furry Fuzzy Funny Man, Mr. Fozzie Bear!

Hiya, all!!

WOW! I didn't realize my fave Muppet had such a following! I thought after all these years of him being shoved in the background and given such small lines that folks had forgot about him, what with all the Pepe talk and such. I'm happy to see I'm NOT alone (and hopefully none of my relatives will come from space to find me).

I think that Fozzie fits along the lines of the reason we love Charlie Brown, a failure at every attempt and funny doing it. The individual who refuses to give in to cut-downs and failure to strive to be better at his craft, only to fall on his face again; but, nevertheless, continuing to try. I think he's a great role model for us all!

NEVER GIVE UP!

And I think, though it hurts his feelings to be heckled or booed, Fozzie uses that moment as an opportunity to learn what works and what doesn't, and as inspiration to actually TRY HARDER.

In my opinion, Fozzie has succeeded far beyond his own expectations, but because he is so mild-mannered, he doesn't even realize it.

His heart is big and you can tell from all the shows that he loves his friends. Some of the sweetest moments with the Muppets usually involves him...especially the saddest part of "Saying Goodbye" in TMTM when he's singing and his friends encircle his head, representing 'this is the thought in the bear's mind at this point...his friends, those who he is "saying goodbye" to and who he will miss terribly.'

I think in the past few movies he's been given horrible lines and it has caused him to not seem as intelligent as he was on the Muppet Show or in the original movies, but that is due mainly in part (I'm sure) to the absence of Oz.

I know folks get sick of me whining about this, but MAN! wouldn't I have LOVED to have had the chance during the MuppetFest fan thingy they did when they allowed people up on stage to play with Muppets and get in front of a TV camera to see how they do that stuff, and then the guy brought out Fozzie Bear!! I jumped 4 feet in the air, but didn't want to seem mean or rude by shouting or begging, and now I realize I should have as the guy threw out a rag into the audience and some girl got it who got to play with Fozzie...THE FOZZIE!! I'm jealous, however happy that she now has a great memory to last her a lifetime.

I hope we see more of Fozzie in the future.

Here's to Fozzy, Fonzie, Fozzi3, and FOZZIE!!
WOCKA WOCKA!!

FOZ :big_grin:

Salmoto

Reaction score
Well, all this suff rings true to me, but I think Fozzie isn't the person most heckled by Statler and Waldorf. That title belongs to Gonzo. Fozzie's just the only one who lets the two old geezers get under his skin. Kermit ignores them, and Gonzo doesn't care a thing about their snide remarks.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think Fozzie takes what StatnWaldorf say to him to heart because he has such a big heart, and cares what folks think about him.

Sometimes, I'm like that; generally, though, i let it be water off the duck's back.

Even if I'm a bear.

FOZ

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by FOZZI3B3AR

Sometimes, I'm like that; generally, though, i let it be water off the duck's back.

Even if I'm a bear.

FOZ
I got down off a duck's back. :big_grin:

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by dwmckim
When used properly, Fozzie is a marvelous character (there can be times when he's used very poorly too but we'll leave that for another time right now).

Not only has he become underappreciated, but have you noticed how many times his name has been misspelled as "Fozzy" by people who should know better - i've seen this mistake in press releases and official material. Horrible, just, horrible.
I feel sympathy for Fozzie when he's being heckled by Statler and Waldorf, or when he tries desperately to be hip and show he's got rhythm. I feel little to no sympathy for him, however, when he picks his nose for a cheap laugh.

Salmoto

Reaction score
Well, I still insist that becuase of Statler and Waldorf interfering in Gonzo's acts, Gonzo got badly hurt many times. Granted, Gonzo likes getting hurt, but still it's not comparable to Fozzie's feelings getting hurt.

I like the fuzzy brown bear, I really do, but the poor guy needs to get a little more thick skined .I mean, even his friends say bad things about his act.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Salmoto
I like the fuzzy brown bear, I really do, but the poor guy needs to get a little more thick skined .I mean, even his friends say bad things about his act.
He doesn't need thicker skin, just better writers. I have the same problem.

Of course, the bad thing is: I'm my own writer. Good Grief!

FOZ

Salmoto

Reaction score
The whole point is that Fozzie's act is SUPPOSED to be bad. Fozzie is supposed to be the amateur of the Muppet Show, and he's still learning how to keep a beat and tell a joke that won't reduce the crowd to humorless blobs. But really, he's the only memeber of that show that if he gets booed enough, he'll stop dead in his tracks and walk offstage. He's tenacious though, even when it seems like everyone's given up on him, he goes onstage again and keeps trying, eventually he got to be up there with Milton Bearle.

Ok, um....

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by Salmoto

Personally, I'm not sure I would like it if he got more thick skinned. I'm not sure I would enjoy him when he would react when being treated hostile by the audience.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Fozzie should join a Union which allows him to throw vegetables back at the audience...and then RUN LIKE HECK!!

That's what I do!

FOZ