Take Your Broken Wings and Learn to Fly (The Early Years of The Electric Mayhem)

mayhemist

Reaction score
My previous work was not very popular, so I took it apart and rebuilt the story from the ground up. I will admit that Christmas Mayhem was a rambling piece of worthlessness, but I hope you guys will give this one a chance. It has more than just romance being the nucleus of it. It's weird, yes, but bear with me. It's a Zoot fan fiction with the remodeled character of Alex. If you don't like Zoot, I'm sorry.

The story takes place in the beginnings of the Electric Mayhem. It's a prequel of what I think would've gone on in the lives of a young Electric Mayhem. I've set it 20 years before the Muppet Show. No Kermit or Fozzie. Sorry, again. This story features a slightly slimmer Dr. Teeth, Zoot still has his hair, and Janice has just dumped him once again. I've made Alex Janice's sister again, but have gone back and made a history with Alex and Animal to explain their unique friendship. I've tried to add depth as asked of me. I've also changed it to 3rd person point of view. Hopefully, that will add me detail. I think I've grasped Zoot's behavior a little bit better. Hope this works.

Friendship, Romance, Tragedy, and Comedy. This is Take Your Broken Wings and Learn to Fly

He was never one for public events. The idea of running around with people made his skin crawl. He wondered why he even agreed to go. Sure, Floyd and Janice had insisted that he get out of his hole and see the world around him, but he would rather sit on his butt and play his sax. That's all that had been on his mind.
He shuffled through the crowded ballroom that was loaded with overly excited fans. He hated squeezing through people. Why had he slept when he could've met Janice and Floyd at the entrance when the door had opened? If he hadn't spent the whole day sitting on the window sill in his room feeling sorry for himself, he wouldn't have slept and therefore would be in the front row with his ex-girlfriend and his best friend.
Zoot slipped through a couple of buff bikers and slipped into the much-less crowded bar. He thought this would be an easier place to watch for Janice and Floyd. Maybe one of them would pass by looking for him, or Janice would come in to powder her nose in the bathrooms.
This was a mistake, though. Right as he approached an empty chair, several younger roadies for the headlining band bombarded him with t-shirts.

"One of kind!"

"Half price!"

"Buy! Buy! Buy!"

Then, a middle-aged blonde woman approached him and grabbed him by his narrow waist.

"Hey there, big boy," she whispered in what she thought was a seductive voice.

Disgusted, Zoot tried to slip away. Suddenly, two pairs of hands grabbed his wrists and yanked him out of the bar. In the darkness of the ballroom in a secluded corner that belonged to the smokers, Zoot was roughly spun around and was met with a huge pair of red lips and furious eyes.

"Like, rully?" Janice asked, ticked.

"Have you been in there this whole time, man?" Floyd asked, more amused than Janice.

Zoot glared at the bassist.

"No," he replied shortly.

"Well like, come on. We're not going to be able to like, scootch into the front now," Janice said as she dragged the boys back into the crowd.

"Yeah, man. If ya had gotten here earlier we would've been the first ones in here," Floyd added.

Zoot looked down at his sandals.

"Yeah, it's all my fault," he thought sadly.

Floyd helped them fight their way to the second row. Zoot was too absorbed in the smoke and lights to notice much around him. He was too wrapped up in his sad thoughts and the throbbing of the speakers. He did, however, notice the flirting going on between his two friends. Floyd was such a charmer and had this way with girls that the older band member still didn't fully grasp. Janice was easily swayed by the bassist, seeing as he told her everything she wanted to hear. Zoot mentally kicked himself for losing her. Why couldn't he keep a girlfriend? Why was it so hard for someone to love him?

"Because you aren't able to be loved, you schmuck," he thought once again.

In his deep rut, he had convinced himself that no one could love him, even though he loved everyone. He himself was incapable of hate, but he was sure capable of annoyance right now.

"Oh like, that's like, so sweet, Floyd," Janice gushed.

Zoot's eyes rolled behind his shades.

"Ladies and gentleman. Let's scream for tonight's opening band: Worn-Out Minute!" the announcer shouted on the center-stage mic.

Janice erupted with a scream and Floyd yelled happily. Zoot had never seen the band before. Janice had always brought Floyd and Animal along to see the shows. He hardly knew anything about them. He did know that Janice used to be in band.
In the beginning, it was Janice on lead vocals and guitar. Her older sister Alex, who formed the band, played bass and...something else. Zoot couldn't remember. But he did remember that Animal wrote the drum parts before finding a home with the Electric Mayhem. Other than that, he really couldn't remember much more.
The opening chord blasted and immediately caught Zoot's attention. The stage set-up was a little scary. The stage was decorated with the band's logo of an antique stopwatch and large candles dripping wax everywhere. The keyboardist, bassist, and guitarist ran out to start the song. The drummer was playing crazy, intricate rhythms and was obviously the favorite of the crowd. He reminded Zoot of Animal.
Then, out of the fog the had been drifting around on the stage floor came the centerpiece to the whole show. Holding a black Explorer and wearing a black tank, camouflage cargo shorts, fishnets and Converse high-tops, was Alex.

"I wanna hear you guys scream!" she screamed through her microphone.

The crowd erupted and Zoot wanted to hold his ears. He hated harsh noises. Why couldn't they be cool and groovy?
All the negative thoughts toward himself, his friends, and the crowd faded away when he got a good view of Janice's sister. Zoot felt his eyes grow and his jaw fall. He was immediately drawn to the female Jimmy Page look-alike. She was definitely prettier than Janice.
Zoot's eyes were glued to Alex throughout the course of the show. He felt...odd. What was it about the girl that had him feeling...wait! Zoot's heart skipped a beat. He looked down, then slowly back up at Alex and it hit him. For the first time in six miserable months, he actually felt happy, all thanks to the dark angel onstage. Zoot felt a small smile tug at his thin, frowning lips.
Warmth fluttered through his chest and butterflies once dead were resurrected in his stomach.

"Wipe the drool off your chin, man," Floyd shouted into his ear.

Dazed, Zoot's hand moved to his chin. Before he could wipe the drool that wasn't there, he quickly shook his head and turned back to stare at Floyd. The bassist burst out laughing and turned to leave with Janice. Zoot looked back up at the stage to see that the set was over and Worn-Out Minute had left. He felt his mending heart start to crack again.

"Zoot! Like, c'mon. We're gonna go see the band!" Janice called from the side of the stage.

Zoot's spirits lifted once more. Maybe, just maybe, he'd get a chance to meet this girl.
________

Keep or trash?

mayhemist

Reaction score
Prologue cont.

The ice cold bottled water felt good as it slid through Alex's sore throat. She had screamed a lot tonight. She was excited that they were playing in the same town that her sister's band were residing in. She had sent an invitation to her sister in hopes that at least one member of the Electric Mayhem would show up. It had been several months since she had spotted the blonde bohemian, her favorite mustached bassist, and her best friend, Animal.
With a towel around her sopping wet neck, Alex walked out of the small dressing room and accidentally bumped into Worn-Out Minute's lead guitarist, Coco. The dark Jamaican Muppet snapped out of a daze and quickly uttered out an apology.

"No, no. It's okay, Coco. It's my fault. I should really learn to watch where I'm going. Are you okay?" Alex asked.

Coco nodded.

"Yes, I'm alright," she replied.

Alex turned to the side and shut the dressing room door.

"Are you going to come and watch the next band?" Alex asked.

Coco was holding her temple with her palm and her eyes were closed.

"No, no. I think I'm just going to head back to dee hotel. I have a splitting headache!" she said.

Alex was surprised. Coco was the healthiest member of the band, and it shocked her to see that she was under the weather.

"Oh, okay then. Go ahead and go get some rest. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning," Alex said.

"Let's hope so!" Coco exclaimed, then marched down the hall and out the back door of the venue.

Alex watched until Coco was gone, then turned around to go find the rest of the band. As she turned around, she saw the giant 6 and a half foot drummer stalk towards her.

"Zim! Where are you going?" Alex asked.

"I'm going to go back with Coco. You know, make sure she has someone there to help her out," boomed Zim.

"Oh," Alex said in a small voice.

Just then, Worn-Out Minute's keyboardist, Bug, and bassist, Tory, came barreling up the hall.

"Look at 'em go!" Tory shouted.

"Yeah! Coco and Zim sittin' in a tree!" Bug sang.

Zim, who was going after Coco, turned to shout at the twerps over his quarterback-like shoulder.

"SHUT UP!" he roared, then stalked out the door.

Tory and Bug fell into a heap on the concrete floor, laughing and crying. Alex wasn't pleased, and kicked the boys.

"You guys need to grow up. You know poor Zim's had a crush on her for years and he cares about her very much. Why do you two have to act like that?" Alex lectured.

The boys stood and dusted off their jeans. Tory looked ashamed and Bug couldn't meet his band leader's criticizing stare.

"We're sorry," they said in unison.

"And you will apologize to Zim later. Now, on a different note, are you two staying after to watch the next band? They're on in..." Alex turned her tiny wrist over to look at her triple wide leather watch, "...five minutes."

Bug and Tory shrugged off their shame for another day, replacing it with excitement.

"We weren't planning on anything else," Tory said.

"Heck yes! C'mon, Tory! Let's get over their before the VIP area fills up!" Bug said excitedly, tugging on the bassist's arm.

"Alright, alright," Tory said in defeat.

Bug yanked Tory down the hall and around the corner.

"I'll meet you guys in a minute!" Alex called.

She turned back to the dressing room door and twisted the knob. When it was open, she pulled her sweaty towel off and tossed it on the table. She then shut the door and turned to follow her band mates.
Just as she rounded the corner, a shrill scream came from the end of the hall.

"ALEX!" screamed the female that came running up to her.

Scared, Alex backed up into the wall. In the dark hallway, she didn't recognize the screaming woman.

"Don't act like you don't know her," came a raspy voice that Alex instantly recognized.

When Alex's eyes focused, she recognized the thin hippie as her one and only dear sister.

"Janice?" she asked.

"Wow, like, oh my gosh. It's like, been so long!" Janice gushed and hugged Alex.

From the view over Janice's tanned shoulder, Alex could see Floyd and another guy approaching. Her heart sank when she realized Animal wasn't there.

"I've missed you so much!" Alex said when the sisters pulled apart.

"Like, aw. Me too!" Janice said.

Floyd and the other guy approached the reunited sisters.

"Floyd!" Alex exclaimed.

"Hey, darlin'," he said and hugged the curly-haired guitarist.

Floyd and Alex had met several times. The first at Muppetstock, then several brief times after Worn-Out Minute gigs. Alex really admired Floyd, as a Muppet and a bassist.

"Well like, rully? I guess there's no need in like, introducing Floyd, then," Janice said.

"How could I forget him?" Alex asked.

Floyd laughed and pulled the timid blue-haired Muppet out from behind him.

"This is Zoot," Floyd introduced the nervous male.

"Yeah like, he's our sax player in the band," Janice said.

Alex felt her heart leap in her throat and her breath hitch. All of a sudden the room began to spin and she, for some strange reason, couldn't take her eyes off the guy.

"Yeah, we dragged him along to get him out of the house. Animal is off with Dr. Teeth and our management. Something about having to buy constant drumheads," Floyd explained.

Alex smiled, remembering one day in their music class in high school when the teacher lost it over a broken bass drum.

"That sounds about right," she said.

They shared a laugh, Zoot keeping quiet as he watched the darker, paler sister with interest.

"Well, we like, totally loved the show!" Janice said.

"Yeah, it was the best one yet. I applaud," Floyd complimented, clapping.

Janice smiled at the bassist.

"I think Zoot really liked it, too," said Floyd.

Zoot's stared up at the taller male with his mouth open. He then huffed and looked down at his toes. Floyd smiled and turned his attention back to Alex. Alex was watching the saxophonist with a small smile on her face. Floyd felt a tinge of victory. He had a feeling Zoot had taken a liking to the rocker and he was pleased to see signs of her liking him back. He knew a girlfriend was the perfect thing for Zoot. If this worked in Floyd's favor, Zoot would snap out of his depression and he'd have his old buddy back.

"We're like, going to go see the next band. Zoot, you should totally stay with Alex. I'm sure you two totally like, have a lot in common," Janice said, winking mischievously at her older sister.

Snapped out of his happier thoughts, Zoot spun around to see Janice wave as she and Floyd walked around the corner before he could protest. Defeated, Zoot's shoulders fell and he turned back to Alex.

"It's really nice to meet you, Zoot," Alex said politely.

Zoot was taken aback by her soft, kind voice. It was so different from the belting vocals she had onstage. Zoot's blue hand grasped hers and shook it.

"Erm," Zoot quickly cleared his throat, "You too."

Alex immediately loved his speaking voice. Quieter, but very similar to her favorite bassist's voice.

"Did you want to go meet up with them, or would you like to go hang out somewhere less noisy?" Alex asked.

Zoot perked up at the offer to get somewhere quieter.

"Less noisy, if you wouldn't mind," Zoot said.

Alex smiled and took the musician by the wrist, leading him back down the hall to her vacant dressing room. Zoot's heart was beating a million miles a minute. It was the fastest any part of his body had ever gone.
He was really starting to like Janice's sister. She was pretty, friendly, and was one of the few people who thought about what he would like to do, instead of their own wants or needs. Zoot needed someone like Alex. He was so reserved and quiet, while she was friendly and talkative. In Floyd's mind, they completed each other.
The two settled into a timid conversation in the dressing room. Zoot was really shy, and Alex discovered that he was one of those that you had to talk to first. Zoot really began to like Alex...a lot. The butterflies from earlier would not settle down. He eventually warmed up to her when she brought up the saxophone.

"You play sax, right?" she asked, taking a swig of water.

Zoot nodded, sitting up straighter.

"How long have you been playing?"

Zoot shrugged.

"As long as I can remember," he replied.

Alex nodded.

"What styles do you play?" Alex pressed on.

Zoot was surprised. She was genuinely interested in his playing the sax. No one save for Dr. Teeth had really been interested. Alex, on the other hand, seemed to want to know everything about his music.

"We do rock, mostly, but I really love to play jazz. Some blues, too," Zoot said.

Alex's eyes widened at this.

"Really?" she asked.

Zoot nodded happily. He really enjoyed talking about his favorite hobby with his new favorite person.

"I used to play sax. Don't tell the guys, but I listen to jazz when no one's around. It chills me out," Alex admitted to the guy she had just met.

"Seriously?" Zoot exclaimed.

It was the most enthusiasm he had shown all night.

"Mhmm," Alex hummed, nodding.

Completely comfortable with the rocker, Zoot scooted forward in the chair and the two engaged in a getting-to-know-you conversation. Both found they had more in common than just a heart for jazz. They also found out that neither could stand crowds, both were quite shy in their own way, and they both secretly began to like each other.
Alex loved his sarcasm and adored his mop of blue curls. She had never met a guy quite like him. Frankly, you would never meet a complex guy like Zoot now or ever again. He was one of a kind.
Three hours passed and the two didn't even notice the time. They were too absorbed in each other. Alex made Zoot feel happy. He felt he could trust her with anything in the world, and she wouldn't tell a soul. This was true. Alex felt the same way about the quiet guy. She thought he was very cool and very sweet. He was completely harmless...and adorable in his own way.
Alex's heart went out to him when he recapped what had been going on with The Electric Mayhem since the last time Janice, Floyd, and Animal had come out to see a show.

"Let's see..." Zoot began, spending a while trying to remember what had been going on then, "I really can't remember how long ago that was. It's been a hard time for me. I won't bore you with that crap though."

Zoot's sudden bitterness had Alex leaning forward from the couch, watching him with sympathetic eyes. She stared at her reflection in his shades as he locked his eyes with her blue ones.

"No go on. I'd like to hear your story, Zoot," she said softly.

The muscles on the corners of his lips twitched and wanted to move his frown into smiling position. He gave in and smiled at Alex.

"What are you cats doin' in here?" Floyd asked loudly as he opened the dressing room door.

Zoot and Alex looked up from their deep conversation and both felt sinking hearts.

"Hey guys! Like, where were you the whole time?" Janice asked from over Floyd's shoulder.

Alex explained how she and Zoot preferred the quiet isolation of the dressing room over the screaming of the arena.

"Man, Bug and Tory were worried sick about ya. But," Floyd walked around over to stand behind Zoot, placing his light purple hands on the sax player's shoulders, "it looks like you were in good hands."

Alex smiled shyly and looked at her new friend. She could've sworn she detected a blush arise on Zoot's cheeks.
When it was time for the Electric Mayhem guys to leave, Alex felt increasing disappointment. The sparkle Zoot had felt was fading. They shared a sad glance at each other before Floyd and Janice hugged her goodbye.

"Alex, you're welcome to come by and watch us play. We have a gig tomorrow night at the Chameleon Club," Floyd said.

Zoot leaned up against the brick wall with his hands stuffed in his pockets and smiled in nostalgia. The Chameleon Club had been a place he used to play in his late teens, early 20's. Now 30 years old, he realized how long it had been since he'd been there. He missed it, too. He loved the atmosphere. It was a place full of people who didn't judge him. He hoped it was still that way.

"Floyd, I'd love to," Alex told the orange haired hippie.

"Far out!" he said.

Janice came up beside her sister and handed her a piece of paper.

"Okay, here are the directions. Like, the show starts at eight. This is totally going to be groovy!" Janice said excitedly.

She kissed her sister on the cheek and they all shared goodbyes before leaving Alex standing in the hall. Zoot followed behind the two, but stopped at the corner and turned to wave at Alex. They both shared shy smiles before he disappeared. Both couldn't wait for tomorrow.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
To be brutally honest, this fic feels empty and shallow. Okay, so the characters are younger. But they still reek of Mary Sue. It's very hard to feel anything for Alex because she's so "perfect."

But he did remember that Animal wrote the drum parts before finding a home with the Electric Mayhem.
Animal doesn't write, as far as I know. He's a wild, crazy force of nature, but I can't imagine him writing--or scrawling--anything, let alone drum parts.

She was definitely prettier than Janice.
How so? And why should this matter? Does being prettier make a character better/stronger in some way? Alex has no flaws. She formed the band; she's pretty; she's more talented than Janice (?) How are we supposed to root for her? How are we supposed to care about her when she gets whatever she wants? Where are her flaws? As a reader, I have no idea who this Alex person is.

As for Zoot...well, again, the character is unrecognizable. I understand this is a younger version of the sax player, but he comes off as someone totally unrelated to the Muppets and their universe. This is heading in the exact same direction as your other fic; it seems the only point of the story is to bring Mary Sue Alex and Zoot together.

mayhemist

Reaction score
*face palm* okay, well at least someone read it. I know the whole thing seems to be based around the relationship, but it's not. Just wait for it. I should probably go back and make it a point that it's Zoot's opinion about Alex. She's not perfect. I never made her that way. It feels like you guys are getting the wrong impression too soon in the story.

And what is a Mary Sue?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
A Mary Sue is a wish-fulfillment character created by a writer that tends to dominate a story, has little or no flaws, and is loved by everyone. A Mary Sue is usually the best at whatever she does, gets what she wants without trying or hard work and tends to be attractive. Everything goes right for a Mary Sue.

A Mary Sue can sometimes be a stand-in for the author as well, except the character is an "improved" version of her real-life counterpart.

In popular fiction, the Twilight series is an excellent example of a Sue running wild.

In this story, you're making Janice look nasty to make your OC look better by comparison. You're trying too hard to make Alex appealing. And Zoot wouldn't be that shallow. He wouldn't compare Janice and Alex. He wouldn't be much of a friend if he was that judgmental. He'd want Floyd and Janice to be happy.

Here's something that may be helpful:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackHoleSue

mayhemist

Reaction score
Okay, well if I could figure out how to go back and edit this and have my other failure removed I'd do it. I'm still trying to get a feel for Zoot. He's one the hardest characters I've ever worked with.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
It might be better if you wrote a bit about Zoot on his own, before giving him a love interest. You'd get a better feel for the character, I think.

mayhemist

Reaction score
It might be better if you wrote a bit about Zoot on his own, before giving him a love interest. You'd get a better feel for the character, I think.
Yeah, I'm going to try and take my time with that. I'm still trying to organize the beginning and try to fix Alex.

mayhemist

Reaction score
Coco was waiting impatiently tapping on the steering wheel of the rental car, waiting for Zim to emerge from the hotel. She had waited half an hour in the sweltering heat before he finally came out the front door.

"Finally!" she exclaimed.

Zim lumbered around before spotting the black car with tinted black windows. Coco recognized that "Oh yeah!" expression on the big lump's face once he finally saw the car. He thumped over to the car and squeezed into the passenger's side.

"Kinda small, ain't it?" he asked, making small talk with the outraged woman next to him.

"Zim, does it really take 'alf an hour to get changed and use the freakin' toilet?" Coco screeched.

Zim jumped in his seat and stared petrified.

"I-I-I'm sorry," he stuttered.

"You'll be sorry when our mission doesn't work out 'cause of you!" she spat.

Zim blinked and looked forward as Coco quickly burned rubber.

"What mission?" Zim asked after several minutes of silence.

Steaming, Coco glanced sideways at the drummer.

"Did you really just ask me dat?" Coco snapped.

Zim blubbered and then gave up on a legitimate answer.

"We're trying to trash Alex! Have I not established this?" Coco asked.

Zim nodded, but Coco was too focused on the road to see his physical response.

"It's yes or no," she sang.

"But she's a nice lady. Why would we do that to her? She would never hurt anybody," Zim said.

As they arrived at a stoplight, Coco's mocha colored hand lashed out and swatted Zim on the bicep.

"Ow!" boomed Zim.

"You oaf! Idiot! Do you realize what you're saying? Zim, we've dreamed of hitting it big time for years. Remember?" Coco asked.

Zim nodded slowly.

"We could be as big as Aretha Franklin, or The Stones," Coco continued, waving her hand out in front of her in a theatrical way, "Picture it, Zim. Sold out shows and Grammy awards, and most importantly: cash! We could have it, Zim, if it wasn't for that vampire of a girl sucking up all the glory!"

"But, wasn't it Alex who let you be lead guitarist? And she let's you be second in command. And she let's you have more than enough improve time," Zim argued.

"Zim, shut up and listen!" Coco shouted.

Zim jumped and shrunk into the leather seat, fearing the tiny, livid girl.

"That doesn't matter anymore. I'm tired of being an opening band and Alex's moping around day in and out. Little to nothing coming in. That girl is so unreliable. You know she had only one friend in school? That crazed beast of a child that the staff chained up," Coco gossiped.

Zim was quiet for a moment.

"Little what?" Zim asked dumbly.

"Cash, you imbecile! Cash!" Coco snipped at Zim.

Zim looked hurt by his crush's harsh insults. When he didn't reply, Coco did a double take.

"Sweetie, Zimmy," she said in a voice she knew would have him as putty in her hands, "This will be for us. You and me. We'll see our names in lights!"

Little did Zim know, Coco was only envisioning her name in lights.

"I could stand the band when Janice was there. Such a sweet girl. I miss her, but we can't have everything...with Alex around, that is," she said evilly.

"We could have millions if we ran the show," Zim said thoughtfully.

Surprised, Coco turned to see if her partner in crime had completely lost it. Zim's neon green eyes were staring thoughtfully at the buildings passing by.

"There you go! That's what I'm talking about!" she praised the fool.

The drove in silence out into the desert.

"Where are we goin'?" Zim asked, "Is this our first mission?"

Coco laughed evilly.

"No, I just had to get out of the place."

mayhemist

Reaction score
I don't like this part very much. Just filler stuff.
Dew clung to the grass and leaves like spiders on their webs. Animals were beginning to rouse and move around. An early morning bird tweeted above his head. A semi truck could be heard from outside the park and a train honked in the distance.
Zoot found this very peaceful. It helped him forget the awful nightmare that had woken him up so early. Laying on his lap was his best friend. He picked up the twisted brass contraption and touched the reed to his tongue. His lips closed around the black plastic and his experienced fingers caressed the pearl keys as if it were his lover. He played whatever melodies came to his mind so early that morning.
Walking to the park reminded him of the time before Floyd found him on the streets playing for a spare dime or two. He didn't like coming to the park, but he refused to stay at the apartment and wake everyone up. He knew the band would be quite peeved, and it was impossible to get Animal back to sleep. But he had this nagging urge to whip out his sax and play his blue thoughts away. The urge was so strong that he absolutely had to find somewhere to play.
Zoot blew a sweeping crescendo, then a fall. He then set his buddy down for a breather. He felt much more relaxed now.

"Thank you, friend," he thought, looking down at his distorted, copper reflection on the horn.

After the concert last night, Janice and Floyd went home to jam. Zoot however, shrugged off to bed. Nightmares of his childhood plagued his mind. It wasn't the first time these nighttime horrors had occurred. He had had them since his strict father threw his bum out after he found out Zoot was listening to jazz in place of the classical music his father made him play.
Zoot could hear his younger self in his nightmare yelling back at his father, apologizing for not being a good son. He could hear his mother begging to let her son back in.

"He's going to catch his death! Out there in the cold, in the rain," she had said.

"Forget about him. I don't want that delinquent in my house anymore! I've had enough!" his father shouted.

He could hear his mother's hysterical crying and his father yelling at her. He remembered the freezing rain pelting him as he walked with his black case and tears mixing with the rain on his cheeks. He didn't think the music or the way he acted was so wrong. So who cares if he didn't want to play classical music or go to synagogue everyday? He just wanted to hang out at the Chameleon Club and play. But mostly, he had just wanted his mom.
Zoot shook his head, trying to clear those bad thoughts from his mind. He had been on the verge of tears when he woke up and he was about to be again if he didn't move on to happier thoughts. Happy thoughts...
Alex's caring eyes floated into his mind and he suddenly remembered the concert last night. He couldn't remember the last time he had had such a blast. He made a mental note to thank Janice for pulling him out of the apartment. The thrashing, progressive rock had lifted his spirits. He had been sitting on a pile of gloom and doom since Janice left him.
He smiled as he remembered the nice conversation he had with the guitarist...and the butterflies. Zoot almost instantly was annoyed with himself. Really? How could he? How dare he, even, to begin to even think about maybe having feelings for her?
Sure, she was nice and understood him. She was friendly and definitely shared the same features that had attracted him to Janice in the first place. But how could he like her? He barely knew her. This was Janice's sister. Her sister! How could he turn on Janice like that?
Janice had always been there for him. She dealt with him like a pro when he was in one of his funks. She was his shoulder to cry on. So, how dare he turn on her?
Right then and there, Zoot decided to drop his little crush on the girl. He'd rather be friends with her than risk losing Janice as a friend. He couldn't imagine what Floyd do to him if he found out. No, now was not the time to dwell on such things. It was time for breakfast.
Janice ran down the stairs and into the kitchen where Dr. Teeth and Animal had started breakfast. Floyd was sitting at the table reading the paper.

"Like, guys, where is Zoot? He's like, totally disappeared!" Janice exclaimed, breathless.

"I thought I heard him moving around early this morning," Floyd said.

"Babe, I wouldn't worreh about him. He's probableh off outside or somethin'," suggested Dr. Teeth.

Janice sighed. He was probably right. Zoot had been extremely distant, so it was no surprise that he took off without warning.

"Maybe he went off to go see Alex again. Seems the old boy has taken a likin' to your sister," Floyd said and laughed.

Janice was never one to get mad, but she suddenly felt the heat rise to her tanned cheeks.

"Floyd Pepper, I like, can't believe you would say something like that! Zoot would never like, do that to me. We're friends!" Janice went off.

Dr. Teeth began setting breakfast on the table. He was about to ask someone to go out and hunt Zoot down, when he looked over the arguing guitarist to see him standing in the doorway with damp hair.

"Zoot! Boy, where have ya been? We were startin' ta get worried," Dr. Teeth said.

The arguing ceased and everyone looked over at Zoot.

"I didn't want to wake anyone," he said, gesturing to the saxophone in his left hand.

Several "ah's" and "oh's" came from the other band members. Janice looked down at the well-used sax, then back up at Zoot. She was already worried about him, and this only made it worse. What had bothered him so much to force him out of the apartment to play his thoughts away?
Without another word, Zoot turned and headed to his room.

"Looks like he's not gonna eat again," Dr. Teeth observed.

Animal looked at the doorway sadly.

"Zoot," he said, then looked back down at his plate and began to chow down.

"I wish there was a way to help him out. He's miserable," Floyd said.

"He seemed like, pretty happy when he was around Alex. Maybe he'll cheer up again tonight," Janice said.

Dr. Teeth sat down and tucked in to his scrambled eggs.

"Did they hit it off pretty well?" the doc asked Janice.

Janice nodded happily.

"Mhmm," she said as sat down beside him, "It like, really blew my mind. Alex usually has a hard time with new people. I didn't even think about it when we like, totally dumped Zoot on her."

Dr. Teeth tilted his head to the side, confused.

"Alex has a people problem?" he asked.

Janice sighed. Animal's eyes bugged out when he realized who they were discussing.

"Lexy?" he asked.

"Yes, Animal," she said to the drummer, then turned back to the band leader, "Since like, we were little she had problems making friends. She was totally shy. During recess and lunch she would sit alone. I like, felt really sorry for her," Janice explained.

"Animal! AN-I-MAL!" Animal exclaimed.

"Yeah, until Animal like, came around," she said.

Finished, Animal got up from the table and ran down the hall to Janice's room. He tumbled to the floor and reached his long arm under the bed. His fuzzy hand felt around until it reached a rectangular object.

"Ahha!" Animal shouted and pulled out the worn yearbook from under the bed.

He sat down on her bed and opened it, flipping through the doodled-on pages so fast he accidentally ripped a few.

"Bah!" he growled, hunting for a certain page.

When he found it, he shouted victoriously. There in his lap was the Senior Who's Who page. Right there on the top was the winners of the category of Who Were Most Likely to be in a Rock Band. Animal crookedly smiled at the picture of him and his best friend giving the camera the horns with their hands, Animal's tongue hanging out.
He knew what Janice was talking about when she mentioned how Alex couldn't make friends very easily. He remembered the day very vividly.