Talking with kids.

BEAR

Reaction score
Sometimes I notice that when they do talk segments between a Muppet and a kid these days, the kid looks bored and not too into it for the most part. As opposed to the earlier days when Herry would be talking to Jon Jon or something with such casuality and ease. Like they were having a real conversation as buddies. Recently I see segments between Ernie and a kid and the kid looks at Ernie like he is out of his mind.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
huuuuuuum. that does seem interesting. wonder why. coinncidence or not?

Rosewood

Reaction score
possible reason

BEAR said:
Sometimes I notice that when they do talk segments between a Muppet and a kid these days, the kid looks bored and not too into it for the most part. As opposed to the earlier days when Herry would be talking to Jon Jon or something with such casuality and ease. Like they were having a real conversation as buddies. Recently I see segments between Ernie and a kid and the kid looks at Ernie like he is out of his mind.
If I remember correctly, I think Jon Jon was around the age of 3 (an age of inocense!). The kids they are showing on these new segments with Ernie are more around first or second grade age. Also, I think back when Jon Jon was being taped with Herry, they went to special lengths to make sure the puppeteers were somehow hidden from the kids they used. (if you notice in the Jon Jon and Herry skits, I believe Jon Jon has his feet over a wall and Herry is standing behind it.) In these new skits with Ernie, however, not only are the kids behind the wall or table with him, where they would be bound to see the puppeteers, but they are old enough to know the difference.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In the old days, they would sometimes have the kid sitting on a stool and the Muppeteer down on the floor beside them with the puppet in the air near them. The kids were very aware of the puppet and the performer.

I think the thing today is that they aren't as careful when screening the kids they're using like they may have used to.

I know that there's a HUGE difference between a kid who is outgoing or one that is shy from the puppeteering experiences I have here in Memphis. Some kids are totally encouraged by their parents to have discussions while others really don't get an opportunity to say a whole lot, and those kids are hardest to get into conversations with the puppets.

Maybe they should begin to film different things and just use the best ones only instead of saying, "Here's a kid, let's use 'im!"

rowlf84

Reaction score
The kids are put through a "screening" process to see which ones would be best for which segments. It is not random, by any means.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Pre-screening would be a good idea. You don't want a boring kid on the TV; it'll make the other kid viewers uneasy.

doctort13

Reaction score
I notice that when Elmo is talking to a baby that the baby will sometimes ignore Elmo altogether, probably looking at all the lights, it's parents, Kevin Clash?

I wonder where Jon Jon is today?

rowlf84

Reaction score
rowlf84 said:
The kids are put through a "screening" process to see which ones would be best for which segments. It is not random, by any means.
Like I said, they are screened.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Last I saw of Jon-Jon he was in the military and re-appeared on a SS Anniversary Special along with a few of the other adult-versions of SS Kids.