Tape trading question: Tape making etiquitte?

Avalon

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have been wanting to get involved in tape trading for some time (to complete my Fraggle Rock collection, mostly), and have been held back by the absense of a second VCR. However, considering the prices of VCRs nowadays I figure that it would be a good investment to look at so I can get the episodes that I so greatly desire. However, I have a few questions that I am hoping you people can answer so I know whether my venture into the tape trading world will be worthwhile.

Do most of you edit out commercials, or do you leave them in with the episode? For example, The 10 Fraggle Rock tapes that I have (i'm only missing 6 or 7 episodes) are mostly in chronological order. If someone wanted a series of episodes, I could just pop in the tape and let it play, only watching for the last episode to end. However, the space in between each episode is typically fillled by one or more commercials from when it was recorded off of HBO. Do people typically mind if it's there, or does it simply add to the whole experience?

Another example of this would be my copy of the Muppet's 30th Anniversary Special. it was recorded off of Nickelodean when the channel still had it's Muppet Matinee series on Saturday afternoons. I also was able to record The Secret of the Muppets from The Jim Henson Hour this way, although that program is missing the first minute unfortunately. I have the same problem with my tape of Muppet Family Christmas. It's a recording from the first airing I believe, but I'm missing the first song when they're on the truck. But, I digress.

In that case, I'm not sure if the commercials are placed where they were in the original broadcast, due to differences between network and cable advertising. Does this matter?

My final question is regarding speed. A lot of my Fraggle Rock episodes are recorded at EP or SLP, so more episodes could be fit onto a tape. Thus, I don't know if I would be able to transfer them to a different speed, or if I did there would be a loss of quality. Does this really matter?

I know that all of this is probably really nitpicking. However, I'm quite eager to finish my Fraggle Rock collection and acquire some other shows that I want (I really would like to get my hands on Down at Fraggle Rock in NTSC format). Plus, I want to do this is as proper a manner as possible. I don't want to say that I have the episodes someone is looking for, then find out that the tape I sent isn't what they were expecting. So, I look to you people more experienced in such things for help. I anticipate your responses.

Thanks for all your help!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Avalon said:
Greetings all. I have been wanting to get involved in tape trading for some time (to complete my Fraggle Rock collection, mostly), and have been held back by the absense of a second VCR. However, considering the prices of VCRs nowadays I figure that it would be a good investment to look at so I can get the episodes that I so greatly desire. However, I have a few questions that I am hoping you people can answer so I know whether my venture into the tape trading world will be worthwhile.
You can find VCRs for less than $75 nowadays. I think Sylvania makes a pretty good hi-fi brand (try K-Mart for that).

Avalon said:
Do most of you edit out commercials, or do you leave them in with the episode? For example, The 10 Fraggle Rock tapes that I have (i'm only missing 6 or 7 episodes) are mostly in chronological order. If someone wanted a series of episodes, I could just pop in the tape and let it play, only watching for the last episode to end. However, the space in between each episode is typically fillled by one or more commercials from when it was recorded off of HBO. Do people typically mind if it's there, or does it simply add to the whole experience?
Some people do it, some don't. I'm one of them who usually do, unless I'm feeling lazy. :wink: Also, this is strange: all my HBO airings of FR clearly were not aired with any commercials inbetween. I always thought it was shown with commercials only on CBC (both in the 80s and in the 2000-01 rerun package). I'm curious about what kind of ads they showed inbetween acts on HBO. :confused:

Avalon said:
In that case, I'm not sure if the commercials are placed where they were in the original broadcast, due to differences between network and cable advertising. Does this matter?
Not as long as the special is in tact - which might vary in some cases, depending on what special it is. I know that there are different edits of Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. Also, in We Love You, Wembley (the commercial-free Disney Channel airing I have), the second 2 acts are blended together as one, seamlessly! Is that the way it was originally seen?

Avalon said:
My final question is regarding speed. A lot of my Fraggle Rock episodes are recorded at EP or SLP, so more episodes could be fit onto a tape. Thus, I don't know if I would be able to transfer them to a different speed, or if I did there would be a loss of quality. Does this really matter?
To many purists, including myself, it does. SP is the best speed you can record on, but if your EP recordings are really good (decent A/V quality and no ugly tracking problems), then it won't really matter.

Avalon said:
I know that all of this is probably really nitpicking. However, I'm quite eager to finish my Fraggle Rock collection and acquire some other shows that I want (I really would like to get my hands on Down at Fraggle Rock in NTSC format). Plus, I want to do this is as proper a manner as possible. I don't want to say that I have the episodes someone is looking for, then find out that the tape I sent isn't what they were expecting. So, I look to you people more experienced in such things for help. I anticipate your responses.
I'm a bit nitpicky myself - in fact, I've been wanting to deal with you for quite some time now. Please drop me an email so we can discuss business. I have the episodes (and the special) you're looking for. I also have several UK episodes (with The Captain instead of Doc, and a few different postcard sequences).

Avalon said:
Thanks for all your help!
No problem. :smile:

PS. You probably know by now that there were different openings of FR - one with Boober saying "Down at FR" at the end (the standard one), and one with Wembley saying it (used in The Terrible Tunnel), one with Gobo saying it (used in The Finger of Light), and one with Mokey saying it (I have no idea which one this was - must be one of the first 12). I'm on a hunt for a better quality version of The Terrible Tunnel, and whatever first-season episode it was that had the Mokey one.

Avalon

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:

Some people do it, some don't. I'm one of them who usually do, unless I'm feeling lazy. :wink: Also, this is strange: all my HBO airings of FR clearly were not aired with any commercials inbetween. I always thought it was shown with commercials only on CBC (both in the 80s and in the 2000-01 rerun package). I'm curious about what kind of ads they showed inbetween acts on HBO. :confused:
No, I meant in between episodes, not during the show itself.

Not as long as the special is in tact - which might vary in some cases, depending on what special it is. I know that there are different edits of Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. Also, in We Love You, Wembley (the commercial-free Disney Channel airing I have), the second 2 acts are blended together as one, seamlessly! Is that the way it was originally seen?
Hmm... I'll have to check on that. Been a while since I watched the episode all the way through, but I don't ever recall seeing any differences between HBO airings and Disney Channel airings. Of course, considering how long it's been since Disney aired the eps my memory could be failing me.

As for my specials, the two I was concerned about (Emmitt Otter and Muppet Family Christmas) were both recorded off of the Hallmark Channel, so I'm unsure about cuts. I know Muppet Family Christmas is missing stuffsome scenes with the turkey; haven't seen the original airing in so long I can't remember what else is missing), but I'm not sure about Emmitt Otter.

To many purists, including myself, it does. SP is the best speed you can record on, but if your EP recordings are really good (decent A/V quality and no ugly tracking problems), then it won't really matter.

I'm a bit nitpicky myself - in fact, I've been wanting to deal with you for quite some time now. Please drop me an email so we can discuss business. I have the episodes (and the special) you're looking for. I also have several UK episodes (with The Captain instead of Doc, and a few different postcard sequences).
Once I acquire another VCR, I will do so! Of course, having just graduated, I'm abit short on the money front, but I have a job prospect (part-time, but still :stick_out_tongue: ), so things are looking up!

No problem. :smile:

PS. You probably know by now that there were different openings of FR - one with Boober saying "Down at FR" at the end (the standard one), and one with Wembley saying it (used in The Terrible Tunnel), one with Gobo saying it (used in The Finger of Light), and one with Mokey saying it (I have no idea which one this was - must be one of the first 12). I'm on a hunt for a better quality version of The Terrible Tunnel, and whatever first-season episode it was that had the Mokey one.
I'll check on that as well. The only downside to my collection is that the first few seconds of the opening are cut off, and due to the age it sometimes takes a while for the quality to get back. The end of the opening is typically ok, though.

These are recorded-as-aired tapes that before a few years ago sat in a cabinet, only occassionally being played throughout the years.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be in touch in the near future!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
There are 2 different edits of Emmet Otter (both of which have scenes/dialogue that the other doesn't):
A) 1982 HBO airing / Muppet Home Video VHS/LD release
B) the Columbia-Tristar DVD/VHS (possibly the Hallmark airing you described) - fades out/in at different times than Edit A for commercial breaks

Details of the alterations can be found here, but I can go into more detail:

Edit A is missing some "thoughts" during the scene where Emmet and Ma ponder about the sacrifice they'll have to make, and 2 lines about Pa while they're passing the general store. The song at the end is also shorter than on Edit B.
Edit B is missing the conversation between Emmet and Ma before they meet Gretchen Fox, and all of Kermit's voice-over narration (after his introduction).

More tips on tape etiquitte:

1) Start recording each tape with 15-30 seconds of blank screen, to give time for the tracking to adjust when we play it back

2) When you play the source tape, start recording at least 5 seconds before the program/episode starts, and leave it going for 2-3 secs after it ends, then stop or pause ... if it's more than one program, record about 5 seconds of blank screen inbetween them, but you don't have to do that if the trader's requested programs run consecutively on the source tape

3) Make sure you don't record any on-screen displays (OSD) like "play >" or "tracking ... hifi", and make sure the on-screen counter clock and time/date clock are turned OFF (but "stop" is okay after the program has ended)

Good luck in finding another deck! :smile: