Teaching With Muppets

rtgentry

Reaction score
There is a documentary called The world of Jim Henson. Its a vhs on ebay most of the time.

pressedsilk

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the information about Jim Henson. I'll have to check that out!
Thanks again!:smile:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss ideas for and experiences of teaching with muppets. Has anybody used Sesame Street or Muppet video in the classroom? Have anyone's kids learned something cool from watching muppets? Does anyone have ideas about how the art, music, or scripts could be used for classroom or summer camp activities? Has anyone thought about using the "methods" of muppets to inspire kids' creative projects? Is there a particular segment that illustrates sage advice about life better than you could ever hope to convey yourself?
Interesting fact that most of you may not be aware of. Sesame Street, though used to help teach children, have MANY learning products for children to play with. However, are only used for children in their own home.

I worked at a children's shelter for years, and i worked along side a head start teacher. one of the VERY interesting things she told me was, Sesame Street is not along in the classroom.

WHAT?

Apparently a lot of schools do not allow for any famous characters from television to appear in class rooms in any form... well other then clothing and back backs i guess.

For instance. I'm sure Sesame Street has made cards with numbers and colors. I know i had a matching game. Though these are used to help teach children, they're considered a distraction. The child's eye becomes attracted to the character, and not the number/letter and therefore are not focused on learning.

Maybe this should appear as a topic, but because this has to due with learning in the classroom, i thought you'd all like to know about this.