Techniques used on "It's a Big, Big World"

Trekkie Monster

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how they do this show, atg first i thought it must be green screen, but then the back of puppets heads were seen, and where the invisable puppeteers should be, we could see other characters. Also, how are the sloth and turtle operated, I could see both their arms and head moving at the same time (Unlike bear of big bird)

Blink

Reaction score
Trekkie Monster said:
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how they do this show, atg first i thought it must be green screen, but then the back of puppets heads were seen, and where the invisable puppeteers should be, we could see other characters. Also, how are the sloth and turtle operated, I could see both their arms and head moving at the same time (Unlike bear of big bird)
Hey Trekkie Monster,

I believe you are correct that the show is done with green screen.

Remember that television is a lot different than a live performance or non green screen shoot. Depending on the shot, they could have easily had three puppeteers operating the puppet from behind in one shot, and the next shot could have the puppeteers in different positions (e.g. underneath and to the sides) to get that back of the head shot. The reality is that the two shots could have even been done on different days or set up completely different to achieve the desired effect.

The puppets are bunraku puppets so there are usually three or so puppeteers. This allows for multiple movements of the puppet. This could explain why you saw their arms and head moving at the same time.

Trekkie Monster

Reaction score
I did know that they are bunraku puppets, but it seems to me that the sloth and the turtle are full body costumes (a la Bear) It was apparent with the buraku other puppets where the performers hands went into the sleeves to operate the hands

Blink

Reaction score
Trekkie Monster said:
I did know that they are bunraku puppets, but it seems to me that the sloth and the turtle are full body costumes (a la Bear) It was apparent with the buraku other puppets where the performers hands went into the sleeves to operate the hands
I think that with the use of green screen, there is the option of having another puppeteer operate the other arm. Even with a full body puppet like the sloth.

I didn't know they had another full body puppet (turtle). I just looked up the characters, if you mean Madge, I always thought she was a stadard bunraku/hand puppet. Are you sure that she is a full body puppet? Either way, depending on the actual shot you saw, you should ask youself "Could there be puppeteers in green suits anywhere in this shot?".

Also remember that there is the option of post production to eliminate any puppeteer arm that might have gotten into the shot (like with removing rods in post).

Is the shot you are talking about (the back of the head) a static shot with the sloth dancing? Or was the shot a pan/rotate from the front to the back of the puppet? This will help you figure out how they were able to make it appear like the puppet was fully alive.

*Disclaimer* I am by no means trying to sound like I know how this stuff actually works. I am just using my approximate knowledge to try to make sense of what you are describing and offering my thoughts.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ron Binion has a good page on "Book of Pooh" (the first Shadowmation series) at http://www.transformedpuppet.com/home/pooh1.htm and it gives a little insight in to the process.

The show is done against greenscreen and as Blink mentioned the puppets are just Bunraku-style puppets performed by multiple puppeteers. The cool thing about Shadowmation is that the puppeteers see the digital backgrounds in the monitors in real-time while they perform.

SurfPark

Reaction score
Wow, those green screen outfits look so clinical. It looks like they're the team of government scientist sent to examine the aliens. LOL. I think that "Its a Big, Big World" looks awesome and love the show because its as if the puppets are really freely floating. They do a good job with camera angels, making the puppets and the background perspective flow together when they move.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The way achieve that is using match-moving the camera and the virtual sets in real-time. Basically, the camera picks up markers on the greenscreen and uses them to corresponding move a virtual camera in the computer that generates the virtual/digital set. I've only seen a few episodes of Big, Big World but it's pretty cool.