Tell me honestly...what do you think?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
What the?
You asked us for a honest opinion and I gave it. It doesn't mean you suck and deserve to drop everything you have been working on thus far. If you read my post you'd find I said I did some of the things I pointed out about your videos. The point to all this is that Rome wasn't build in a day and neither is good puppetry. We all struggle to do great puppetry and practice to get better- I've had great puppeteers point out things about my puppetry and I used their comments to try to better my performance. I could have sat here and let you continue to repeat things you need to improve on, but I thought I'd help and "honestly" tell you what you need to work on. Am I sorry for posting what I did- no. I hope you take what I said into your performances and If you can't take constructive criticism then I suggest not asking at all, or titling your posts differently.

Keeermit

Reaction score
if only we always got the feedback we wanted, you're lucky that people have spent the time to respond and try to help your performance, no one said you were terrible, just trying to give some helpful tips - all which were valid. I'm not that much of a performer these days but I am a builder - I was going to give you my opinion of your work as a builder but I don't think it will help from your response of the other guys trying to help you . But I wish you all the best and only do it if you enjoy it

callmemilo

Reaction score
I think your puppet building is pretty **** good. I like the character designs, but I think the finish need as little tidying up here and there. Generally really nice puppets though.

As for the performance, it feels rather rigid. You might wanna try animating your characters more, making them look like they're thinking, doing stuff with their hands and the way they move their heads and bodies. Maybe try to add more range and dynamism with the voices too, give them more lively personalities?

You're also gonna wanna practise your lipsyncing and the way the mouth moves with certain words. Think about how you move your own mouth when you talk, and try to make it work with the puppet too. I find a great way to do this is just to practise hand movements without the puppet.

Otherwise, I love what you're doing, keep it up and looking forward to seeing more of your videos once you've had more time to practise. :smile:

bandit

Reaction score
Phew! I'm gonna jump right in here and cut to the chase too. I just want to say a couple of things about this.
1- I'm gonna agree with what's already been said here. You have skills when it comes to building puppets, most definitely. They look really good!
2- How you wield your puppet can use work but that goes without saying.
Any beginner is going to need practice so that's all good. NOW with all of this feedback, you'll know WHAT to practice. So its all good.

If you do something that's close to your heart, you're always gonna run the risk of getting hurt when you aren't performing the way you would like. Be it art or sports or singing or cooking or WHATEVER it is you're aiming for here, you're always going to fall short of the mark from time to time. But so what? So that happens and so you pick up and you get on with it. You have to because you have to remember that most people who got anywhere in life probably heard "NO NO NO NO NO YOU STINK" a few million times before they finally got it right.

But having said all of that...when we have a passion, it brings out passionate feelings. It can make one feel easily hurt. It's pretty dang brave to post something like this on a public forum and ask for people to tell you what they really think. It's GUTSY and that's great! I love it. But just be prepared for what comes at ya. Take it, own it and use it! USE IT!

We as the spectators, however, have a part to play too. So...okay! things got a little outta hand but who among us here likes to fail? NO ONE! And then when we react, sometimes, can't be helped....we OVERREACT. It happens. Its stupid and it happens.

Then everyone gets huffy, pride rises up on either side and before you know it, everything escalates to an all out war.

Oh come on guys! Let's not be petty. Let's praise him for being brave....let's thwack him on the head for being wimpy about criticism....let's all shake hands and encourage him to do an encore performance where he puts all of this most excellent advice to good use!

Who's with me!?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This thread has served its purpose. In order to try and prevent further feelings being hurt from the direction of certain comments which had to be deleted, this topic will hopefully be locked now/soon. Thank you for understanding.