Telly appreciation thread

StreetScenes

Reaction score
I understand why they decided he couldn't be a character obsessed with Television, as he was originally. It's not the best thing to kids to relate to, lol.
"are YOU the monster that ate the television?"
"I..I like television..."

[/quote]But somehow being obsessed with triangles seems a little too safe to me, like every parent's dream, hehe. But that's just me, each to his own. :wink:[/quote]

i see what you mean. maybe his obsession just hasn't gotten him into enough trouble yet. triangles have lots of potential danger--their points might be sharp, or you might fall off if you're standing on one, they can be big tall mountains, or unstable pyramids of precariously piled objects/muppets...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"are YOU the monster that ate the television?"
"I..I like television..."
Lol, at which point he sings a song comparing the pros and cons of network versus cable. :wink:

maybe his obsession just hasn't gotten him into enough trouble yet. triangles have lots of potential danger--their points might be sharp, or you might fall off if you're standing on one, they can be big tall mountains, or unstable pyramids of precariously piled objects/muppets...
Lol, good point! Erm...that pun was unintentional. Though perhaps appropriate!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I have to admit I do enjoy seeing Telly on the show, and besides I always enjoy seeing the Telly and Oscar "friendship" growing up. :smile:

To me Telly brings to the show a sense of normality, I mean he just like an average adult with a hobby but shares a variety of emotions that we all experience, especially his nervous side as it is often shown so many times on the show.

To basically put, Telly is like the late 80s/early 90s star that came on the show before Elmo took over.:coy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't really care for his triangle hobby :stick_out_tongue:..I don't know as hobbies go it's not like liking dinosaurs/ponies/pet rocks or something that a real little kid would like to that point to me. I guess I can even see loving to count as more realistic *lol*. And I know, I know, they live in a place where numbers talk but...I love pre-triangles Telly a bit more :smile:...
To me Telly brings to the show a sense of normality, I mean he just like an average adult with a hobby but shares a variety of emotions that we all experience, especially his nervous side as it is often shown so many times on the show.
I always thought of him as being about seven-eight years old, but a more serious sort of eight, like he was given a lot of things to look after when he was very young :smile:...

StreetScenes

Reaction score
I don't really care for his triangle hobby :stick_out_tongue:..I don't know as hobbies go it's not like liking dinosaurs/ponies/pet rocks or something that a real little kid would like to that point to me. I guess I can even see loving to count as more realistic *lol*. And I know, I know, they live in a place where numbers talk but...I love pre-triangles Telly a bit more :smile:...
yeah, i can see how it's kinda forced & shallow at this point. but that's how most obsessions appear to others who don't share them, isn't it? i guess it's not the topic of the obsession that i find compelling (i'd have to side with cookie on that one. i'll eat anything.) but the role the obsession plays in Telly's overall character (a small part). Telly's obsession leads the normally quiet monster to get overexcited. sometimes it gets annoying or perplexing to others (ex. I love Alan's line after Telly talks up Triangle Bob Triangle Pants & they watch it: "...that was it? ...and you watch that?"). kinda like me & Sesame Street & my friends' opinions of my hobby...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
(ex. I love Alan's line after Telly talks up Triangle Bob Triangle Pants & they watch it: "...that was it? ...and you watch that?"). kinda like me & Sesame Street & my friends' opinions of my hobby...
Yeah I get you, I think we've all gotten THAT reaction from our friends, hehe. I showed someone my copy of Street Gang and he said, "What are you, 12? !" Which is funny because 12's not even the "right" age for Sesame street, lol.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Yeah I get you, I think we've all gotten THAT reaction from our friends, hehe. I showed someone my copy of Street Gang and he said, "What are you, 12? !" Which is funny because 12's not even the "right" age for Sesame street, lol.
12? haha that makes no sense. twelve is about the age when you've been off sesame street for long enough that starts being cool again in a nostalgic way, along with all the other stuff from early childhood like candyland and hungry hungry hippos.

eh, maybe i'm overanalyzing telly's obsession based on its potential rather than its reality...the writers just need to get on that :smile: i guess i do think of my obsessions more like bert's--stuff i find endlessly fascinating even though it seems boring to other people.

still, i identify with telly an awful lot. like when he broke his triangle & bob suggested they fix it with tape, to which Telly replied "but it won't be EXACTLY the same--it'll have sticky tape all over it!" which is about the reaction i would have had. same with telly not wanting the new year to come because he liked the old one.

Redsonga

Reaction score
12? haha that makes no sense. twelve is about the age when you've been off sesame street for long enough that starts being cool again in a nostalgic way, along with all the other stuff from early childhood like candyland and hungry hungry hippos.

eh, maybe i'm overanalyzing telly's obsession based on its potential rather than its reality...the writers just need to get on that :smile: i guess i do think of my obsessions more like bert's--stuff i find endlessly fascinating even though it seems boring to other people.

still, i identify with telly an awful lot. like when he broke his triangle & bob suggested they fix it with tape, to which Telly replied "but it won't be EXACTLY the same--it'll have sticky tape all over it!" which is about the reaction i would have had. same with telly not wanting the new year to come because he liked the old one.
I watched SST the most when I was 8-12 actually, I think it is more of a person to person thingie. The more you try to box it into an ' that that age' idea the more you will be surprised ; ). I started playing Hungry Hungry Hippos at 12:coy:.

Anyway, I still say that shape thingie is more than a little forced, even next to a certain vampire and numbers. I dunno, the more I think about it that more I feel like the Telly I know and love is slowly moving toward being a one hobby Geometry teacher. It's not quite like numbers, or cookies, or paperclips to me, it's missing a bit of charm IMHO:coy: