That Bert and Ernie sketch made me laugh!

mikealan

Reaction score
Hi! When I watched an old Bert and Ernie sketch on Play With Me Sesame yesterday, I laughed at it! Here's how it went so far:

Bert's reading the Feathered Fairy Tales book and Ernie enters to let Bert play "Ernie's Guess What I Am" game, but Bert doesn't want to play, because he wants to read, so Ernie barks like a dog and licks him. Bert thinks Ernie's a dog, and Ernie thinks it's right. Now, Ernie lets Bert to think of what Ernie is now pretending to be, so Ernie squats down and quacks like a duck, and Bert thinks he's a duck and Ernie thinks it's right. Now, it's Bert's turn and went "Toot...toot..." slowly, but Ernie wants to hear more, so Bert starts acting like a train until the Fat Blue-like train engineer muppet grabs Bert and says, "Well, there you are, you pesky train you!" But, Bert thinks he's not a train, so a couple of AM's grab him to the railroad station!

Remember this sketch?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Hmm. I don't know if I remember seeing that one. It sounds like a good one though. There was also one where Ernie wanted to play a game where Bert had to guess how he was feeling. Then it was Bert's turn. Then Bert got angry because he didn't want to play. Ernie thought he was playing and this made Bert even more angry and he left the house.

Ernie: Angry again? Disenchanted? Scared!!!

dcfboss

Reaction score
I don't remember how this skit goes exactly...but my favorite Bert and Ernie moment would have to be the one where Bert is in his chair reading (about pigeons I think) and Ernie is off to his right with an explorer's hat and binoculars watching Bert read....lol

It's hilarious just thinking about it...they should use Ernie and Bert more often

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yep. I remember both of those that were mentioned. In fact Bert and Ernie sketches are probably the one's I remember the most since they played a lot of them when I watched the show in the 80s, the 90s too, for that matter. I remember even after Jim Henson died, you still heard his voice as Ernie in earlier sketches.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
One that I'd like to see again is "Ernie's Disguise Kit". I still remember Frank's ad-lib: "Ernie, Little Red Riding Hood did not have a beard!" :big_grin:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I used to have a Golden Book of that one. What I liked was that while Ernie was fooling around with those disguises, Bert was reading a book called boring stories.

"Wow, these boring stories are really exciting." Talk about oxymorons. Lol.

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
I like the one where Bert is trying to get to sleep so Ernie sings to him then Bert gets carried outside by sheep.

dcfboss

Reaction score
**** yeah...dance myself to sleep is the best S.S song ever.

Didn't The Count sleep over Bert and Ernie's one night and the count got carried away counting sheep? My g/f says that it happened but I don't remember it. She has the Noggin Network so maybe she saw it.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
That did happen indeed. The morning after, everyone was all well-rested except bleary-eyed Ernie.

BERT: Did you get a good night's sleep?
COUNT: Sleep? Who slept?
ERNIE: 43,891 ... 43,892 ... [and so on]
COUNT: Can I sleep over again tonight? [Ernie groans]

The amazing thing about this sketch is, it is a two-part sketch. The running order is: Part 1, (insert misc. segment here), Part 2. It's the most excellent continuity effect I've seen, the like of which we just don't see anymore.