THAT'S how it ends?!?! REALLY?!?!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
For a show that was supposed to be all about real life, I feel like it was dumb for them to go to jail, because random people came to badmouth them. No one goes to jal, because strangers come and talk bad about you, they go to jail, because the strangers give evidence of their crime, I mean the guy was not even injured or anything, come on, considering that people these days can kill others, and go free, I find it stupid that Seinfeld, and the rest were put in jail for a year, seriously, and when the judge went to saying that it was better if they never met it made me lose it, come on. They should have ended it with Seinfeld, and the rest getting their show on the air with it only to be cancelled after a few episodes, much more realistic, and seinfeld like compared to what actually made it on television screens.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt that's going to be the case. All I can see is them dumping Axel and keeping the others on call. The ratings are too good for ABC to give the show up without a fight. Remember. Damian Wayans Jr. was going to be in New Girl when they thought Happy Endings was going to get cancelled. It lasted another season, where Damian was added to the cast of New Girl as a gag, as the pilot actually aired.

This is a shrewd move for the actor. Clearly to get more out of his contract by saying he has other offers. The entire cast's contracts are up, and cancelling the show would be a matter of extreme cheapness as it is still a money making series for them. That said, I wouldn't be too broken up if it ended. It had a decent enough run, and the writers seem to forget that Frankie was originally a mother trying her best and falling short and not a selfish, absent minded parent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Except it wasn't by all means funny. Apparently logic was also chucked out because even though they were harassing the guy, they had taped evidence of a crime happening. That's help in my book.
Yeah, that's been the subject of debate as well. Sure, they had taped evidence . . . but other than that, they didn't actually do anything to help the guy in his situation . . . and their commentary came back to bite all of them in the butt when the tape was played in court.

True to fashion, we have this exchange:

ELAINE: I guess we could've called for help...
JERRY: Yeah, but then we would've missed the whole thing!

But even the cast and crew know when it comes to the SEINFELD finale, it's definitely covered by the YMMV Love It or Hate It. The only reason I don't hate it is because, ironically, it was one of the first episodes I ever saw. Seriously, I was a little kid when SEINFELD was originally on, and at that age, my interests on TV were mostly tied up in Cartoon Network and stuff like that. The Frogger episode is the very first episode I ever saw when it was first aired, and I saw that by accident but thought it was hilarious - then just a week or so later was when the finale was on, and I too saw that one by accident, but I thought it was interesting. Up until I was a teenager, anytime I saw SEINFELD was because maybe my mom had it on in the background because she was real big into the show during its first run. I know that's how I originally saw "The Bubble Boy", "The Dog", and "The Muffin Tops" (in reruns, that is).

But, I digress, this isn't the SEINFELD thread.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The logic behind why they went to jail is essentially the only thing that really bothers me. I've seen so many weak endings when it comes to sitcoms. Sure, there's the Newhart ending and stuff like that. Even lesser known sitcoms like 3rd Rock where they abruptly were called home. Forgivably, there are the ones that are on the bubble, yet get cancelled anyway and have a weak season finale that turns into a series final. But even then, there are sitcoms that deserved a better send off, even when they were panned to end.

I'll give the HIMYM one credit for not having a weak, cut short ending. That's all I give them credit for. They erased everything that made the last season and a half up to that point amazing, but at least there was an effort to begin with. Still, I'd almost have rather a weak sauce closure than something heartwrenching.

I don't like to think about endings. No matter what, they're depressing, but there's a sliding scale of closure. From "Darkwing Duck gets frozen solid in prehistoric pancake syrup" to "Sylvester has a terrible fever dream about eating Tweety" to the afforementioned Newhart ending... come to think of it, what exactly the heck was the Bob Newhart show ending?! The "we were told we were getting another season," the "we should have ended a couple seasons ago because everythings off the rails and unwatchable" and everything in between.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
With all this talk about finales, if Parks and Recreation doesn't get it right I'm never investing myself emotionally in a television show again. I have the faith in the cast and writing staff though, they've taken what could have been a gimmick with the time jump and made it work. Here's hoping for the best in a couple weeks.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
come to think of it, what exactly the heck was the Bob Newhart show ending?! The "we were told we were getting another season," the "we should have ended a couple seasons ago because everythings off the rails and unwatchable" and everything in between.
It ended because Newhart was ready to end his show. According to his autobiography, he wanted to end the show a year early, but was under contract for another year (the network would have allowed him out of his contract, but if the show that replaced it in its timeslot got canceled before the season was over, CBS would have been allowed to sue Newhart for however much the network would have made from his show). That's why the last season had a few episodes where Bob was out of town and only appeared in brief scenes calling home.

Or were you asking about the episodes plot? I've never seen the last episode, but it involved Bob and Emily moving away because Bob got a new job out of town. Though he must have come back, because in the 19th anniversary special (which took place the day after he woke up from his Newhart dream) he's back in his old office.

In fact, both The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart ended because Newhart was ready to end those shows (he had contemplated ending his second show during the sixth season, and that's when his wife suggested the ending for the last episode). For a few years, I had noticed that The Bob Newhart Show seemed to get more attention than Newhart (being seen in syndication more, being released on DVD first, etc.), even though Newhart lasted two seasons more and is the show I like better (I didn't watch the first one on Nick at Nite too often until Newhart was added to the line-up, and around that time I was always excited when something was added to Nick at Nite regardless of whether I was aware of the show). But then the fact that both shows ended because he was ready had hit me. Who knows which show would have lasted longer if they just let them run until audiences were tired of them.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Or were you asking about the episodes plot? I've never seen the last episode, but it involved Bob and Emily moving away because Bob got a new job out of town. Though he must have come back, because in the 19th anniversary special (which took place the day after he woke up from his Newhart dream) he's back in his old office.
Uh... yeah. Worst part is, I remember my mother buying an episode guide decades ago. I'd ask her for it, but it's just so much easier to do this...

In the series finale, Bob prepares to leave Chicago for a teaching job at a college in Oregon.
Yeah. That sounded familiar now that I think about it. MeTV's airings are all over the map with huge gaps and shuffled episodes.

With all this talk about finales, if Parks and Recreation doesn't get it right I'm never investing myself emotionally in a television show again. I have the faith in the cast and writing staff though, they've taken what could have been a gimmick with the time jump and made it work. Here's hoping for the best in a couple weeks.
You know what? Since it's time slot change I was able to catch the show again for the first time in a while. I didn't know there was a time skip, and I was completely confused and thought "gee, I missed way too much." But once I got into the groove of it, I really like where the show picked up. I have to admit, if they were going for reeling back in any viewers that stopped watching that feel the need to watch the show now that it's ending, they're doing a bang up job of having them come back without having to go through a humongous infodump or binge watch.

While I would never say anything bad about the show at all, since there's no logical way to call it anything less than quality after that shaky first year where it was just the VR Troopers to The Office's Power Rangers. I'd say the show has come a long way since, but I just can't really get as into it as I should. Airing opposite the Millers for that one season wasn't helpful either. I'm sure they're going to find a great, satisfying way to end the series. Even The Office managed to pull it back out after 2 seasons of suck. Can't even blame Steve Carrel's departure for that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
You know what? Since it's time slot change I was able to catch the show again for the first time in a while. I didn't know there was a time skip, and I was completely confused and thought "gee, I missed way too much." But once I got into the groove of it, I really like where the show picked up. I have to admit, if they were going for reeling back in any viewers that stopped watching that feel the need to watch the show now that it's ending, they're doing a bang up job of having them come back without having to go through a humongous infodump or binge watch.
They've definitely done a good job of revealing information in bits and pieces, plus a lot of the changes were foreshadowed towards the end of season six. Maybe the biggest change was with Ron, but then they devoted an entire episode to fleshing that out. Everything they've done seems like a logical growth of the characters.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The Galavant finale was just sad, I mean they should have known the show would have been cancelled, so why just end it with nothing, still funny how they thought the singing killed the nielsen ratings though, wish it would get renewed.