The alphabet segment I remember seeing

mikealan

Reaction score
Anybody remember the animated alphabet segment with all twenty-six letters in different colors? I remember seeing it on the video, "The Alphabet Game" and on an episode where Oscar moves from Sesame Street and had skits like the Question Song (w/Grover and a little girl muppet), Who Am I, Say the Word, Snuffy and Barkley walk, The Typewriter Guy-T, train, The ants carrying the huge letter Q to the top of the hill and the Count skit where his pet bats are going on strike.

As I remember seeing this alphabet segment, here's how it went:

A little yellow piece of something explodes into twenty-six letters as trumpet music plays. Then the trumpet music changed into drum music as we start with the yellow letter "a" on the red background, then "a" scene changed into the blank yellow scene as we see the red letter "b". Then the "b" turns into a blue letter "c" and this scene turns into the red scene with the light blue letter "d". Then, the "d" scene turns into a rope that pulls left to the blue scene with the green letter "e". Then, trumpet music plays again and blue or green or red or orange triangles face us and we see an orange letter "f" on the dark red background. Then, it fades to the puzzle to make a green letter "g" and we see it on the white background. Then, it turns into a huge brown drop and transforms into a brown letter "h". The scene is now peach-colored and we now see the peach-colored "i" on the purple background as drum music begins to play again. The "i" moves around a bit and turns into a pink letter "j" as the scene turns green. Then, we see a green letter "k" on the light tan background and the "k" scene turns into the lavendar scene with the red letter "l". The "l" now turns into a heart for a bit and then turns into a white letter "m" on the blue scene. Then, saxaphone music now plays and the box with the "m" rips like a present and we see a green letter "n" on the orange scene. The orange-colored scene then turned green and the green "n" turns into the orange-colored letter "o". The "o" scene turns back into the orange scene with the pink letter "p" until it changes into light blue of something and it changes into a lavendar scene with the green letter "q". The drum music plays again, and the "q" scene flies far back and it changes into the red scene with the pink letter "r". Then, we see a light blue star and it changes into a light blue letter "s". The "s" streches until the red scene changes into the peach-colored scene with the white letter "t". The "t" now changes into a hexagon and it changes into a green letter "u" as the peach-colored scene turned red-orange. Trumpet music now plays again as the "u" moves quickly and then, we see a blue letter "v" on the white background. The "v" now has extra lines to form into the red letter "w". The "v and w" scene now changes into the blue scene with the green letter "x", and we see blue and green spirals all around until we see the yellow scene with the red letter "y". Now, the "y" scene changes into green and orange of something and it turns into the blue letter "z" on the purple scene. Finally, the yellow piece of something from the beginning aims at the "z" and they explode into the same twenty-six letters, the ones we saw in the beginning.

When I watched this on any of the SS episodes, it was freaky, 'cuz of letters coming to get you, but I like seeing it on the video, "The Alphabet Game", 'cuz I like letters!

Anybody remember this alphabet segment?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely remember this tragically hip alphabet sketch. If my memory serves me right, my cousins had a video toy that contained that segment. What you did was pop the tape into the machine's slot. Then you turned the machine on and the video would start. The way that you saw the movie was turning a crank handle on the side of the machine, which simulated both rewind and fast forward. This segment was preceeded by a little sketch where Cookie Monster holds up a black board with magnetic letters forming the word "Alphabet". The funny part about this little sketch is that he'd then eat up all the letters, and in my youth I'd crank that part backwards to see Cookie Monster spit the letters back out which I found hilarious at that time. Could check with my cousins to see if they still have that toy. Hope this helps.

mikealan

Reaction score
Thanks for remembering that sketch, Count.

Now, I'm dying to see that sketch again, but where can I find it?

mikealan

Reaction score

mikealan

Reaction score

Is it on:
Sesame Street Unpaved?
Sesame Street shows from Season 25?
Sesame Street shows from Season 30-31?
Sesame Street shows from today?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Mikalan, to be honest, I'm not sure on which of the various Sesame Street designations you'd find the alphabet sketch in question. Your best bet is to talk directly with BooberGorg to see on which specific episode he might have that sketch in his vast SS video episode library. Sorry I didn't post a reply earlier, it's just that I'm not coming to this form much lately given that the navigational controls have been all messed up with a flood of additional and half-unnecessary links. Also, it doesn't seem to want to remember my user ID and I have to re-log-in each time I come here. Sorry, rant over, again hope this helps and go check with BooberGorg for references as to finding the alphabet sketch you seek.

Frodis

Reaction score
The Count said:
Yes, I definitely remember this tragically hip alphabet sketch. If my memory serves me right, my cousins had a video toy that contained that segment. What you did was pop the tape into the machine's slot. Then you turned the machine on and the video would start. The way that you saw the movie was turning a crank handle on the side of the machine, which simulated both rewind and fast forward.
I still have the Fisher Price Movie that you're referring to. However, the clip you remember is actually not the one that MikeAlan was referring to. The one he mentioned was aired on Unpaved. The one on the Fisher Price toy film is similar, but different. When this particular one aired on tv, it started off with a screen shot of the entire alphabet. Then some voices came on and rapidly said all 26 letters. After that, they showed each letter with cool animations and mellow music. A male voice said each letter, and sounded as if he was under the influence of some illegal substance while doing so. heh. I had hoped to someday see this sketch again, possibly on Unpaved, but I don't believe they ever showed it.

Frodis

ssetta

Reaction score
It's on a couple Unpaved episodes. It was in the Season 6 Primere where The Count counts lights. And I think it was in a few others.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Frodis said:
When this particular [cartoon] aired on tv, it started off with a screen shot of the entire alphabet. Then some voices came on and rapidly said all 26 letters. After that, they showed each letter with cool animations and mellow music. A male voice said each letter, and sounded as if he was under the influence of some illegal substance while doing so. heh. I had hoped to someday see this sketch again, possibly on Unpaved, but I don't believe they ever showed it.

Frodis
Someone has uploaded the "Morphing Letters" clip (the one you describe) to YouTube, if you want to check it out. I agree that the man who names the letters in the slow part sounds as if he were stoned. (My comment at YouTube: "This is your alphabet on drugs--any questions?")

I'm still looking for the other alphabet clip which the original poster had in mind...the one with upbeat trumpet music, and the letters themselves (not the background) being changed. Two fragments of that clip come to mind: the "s" stretched like chewing gum before it becomes a "t", and the "v" unfolding a second part out to become a "w". Do those ring any bells for you?